Sponsored by:

Real-time Traffic Flow Not Displaying

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 02:37 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Real-time Traffic Flow Not Displaying

Foprgive me if this has already been addressed, but my searches have not shown up anything.

I have a 2021 C4S with PCM5. I have purchased the Navigation and Infotainment Package and it is showing activated in the PCM. I also have an AT&T Wi-Fi hot spot turned on in the PCM and can actually browse the Internet connected to the hotspot. Within My Porsche I show my car "linked", remote access authorized, and online software update enabled. Porsche connect is activated through my unique pairing code.

When I go into the Nav function on the PCM, I do not show any traffic flow options within the Options Drop-down list. I see various check boxes such as 2D Map, 3D Map, etc but my Nav map does not show any traffic updates anywhere. I know that part of the Navigation and Infotainment package is working as I now see weather updates within my widgets. In my Connection Manager, I am showing the Data icon as green for the in=car connection.

What am I missing here? The documentation is not very good and it seems there is an assumption that traffic flow just magically appears when all these setting are made.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:41 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

124 views and not one response. Good news is that it confirms to me that this is not an easy fix. Bad news is that no one seems to have this issue or knows how to correct it.
The following users liked this post:
StarbuckR6 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:20 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

I assume you're paying for Porsche connect, considering that year is likely past the 1 year grace. Can you get satellite view?
Old 12-01-2023, 12:37 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I assume you're paying for Porsche connect, considering that year is likely past the 1 year grace. Can you get satellite view?
Yes, I am paying for Porsche Connect. It is included in the Navigation & Infotainment Package. All the products are showing within the PCM settings as activated until November 2024. However, even though I show the map option of Satellite View enabled, I do not see Satellite View, only the 3D map.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:50 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrake
Yes, I am paying for Porsche Connect. It is included in the Navigation & Infotainment Package. All the products are showing within the PCM settings as activated until November 2024. However, even though I show the map option of Satellite View enabled, I do not see Satellite View, only the 3D map.
Basic question, is the Satelite View turned on under the "online navigation and production improvement" menu in the Settings?

I also have a 2021 C4S and am interested in your experience!
Old 12-01-2023, 01:14 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

I have a 2021 C4S with PCM5. I have purchased the Navigation and Infotainment Package and it is showing activated in the PCM. I also have an AT&T Wi-Fi hot spot turned on in the PCM and can actually browse the Internet connected to the hotspot. Within My Porsche I show my car "linked", remote access authorized, and online software update enabled. Porsche connect is activated through my unique pairing code.

When I go into the Nav function on the PCM, I do not show any traffic flow options within the Options Drop-down list. I see various check boxes such as 2D Map, 3D Map, etc but my Nav map does not show any traffic updates anywhere. I know that part of the Navigation and Infotainment package is working as I now see weather updates within my widgets. In my Connection Manager, I am showing the Data icon as green for the in=car connection.

What am I missing here? The documentation is not very good and it seems there is an assumption that traffic flow just magically appears when all these setting are made.
It sounds like your cellular connectivity is working because you can use the hotspot (good first check, often the problem so check https://myvehicle.att.com/). My 2020 C2S has the Navigation & Infotainment and with ATT cellular plan.

I've not used the traffic flow menu options before - Can you post a screenshot of what you think you're missing and I'll check my PCM? I notice traffic issues displayed as yellow roads in my map and I assume the PCM-recommended route changes based on realtime traffic (I notice my repeat trips into downtown sometimes uses the highway and other times surface streets, presumably due to realtime traffic conditions, but this is all passive on my part).

Suggested things to check:
  1. Go to https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en, click on Active Services, verify that Navigation & Infotainment Package is listed
  2. In the PCM: Set / Porsche Connect
    • Service Overview = Real-Time Traffic Information has an "until" date into the future / Same for Online route calculation and Real-time traffic info
    • Private Mode = Unchecked
    • Private Mode for selected services = Nothing should be checked unchecked
  3. Set / Navigation / Online Nav Service / Online Navigation = Checked

Last edited by mikey94025; 12-01-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:22 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aquatone
Basic question, is the Satellite View turned on under the "online navigation and production improvement" menu in the Settings?

I also have a 2021 C4S and am interested in your experience!
When in the Nav function, there is an icon that looks like 3 layers of screens on top of one another. When you press the icon, options appear with check boxes: 3D Map, Auto Zoom, Satellite Map, Show POIs, and Compass. There is no Real-Time Traffic Flow option listed. Even though Satellite View shows as being enabled, there is no Satellite View on the map. When I go into service overview, it clearly shows Real-Time Traffic Information, Weather, and Satellite Map as being activated until 10/15/2024. I do have weather information, but no Satellite Map, and not even the option for Real-Time Traffic Information. On the web, I saw a pic of the Nav Screen on a 991 center console screen that clearly showed a Real-Time Traffic checkbox. It also showed a Google Map checkbox which I do not have.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:45 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

When in the Nav function, there is an icon that looks like 3 layers of screens on top of one another. When you press the icon, options appear with check boxes: 3D Map, Auto Zoom, Satellite Map, Show POIs, and Compass. There is no Real-Time Traffic Flow option listed. Even though Satellite View shows as being enabled, there is no Satellite View on the map.
OK let's focus on missing satellite map first since it's simpler than real-time traffic. It seems that something may be wrong with your cellular if you don't have satellite. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a Real-Time Traffic Flow option listed in the map layer options, but will check again).

Here is what my PCM looks like with the map satellite option and map display. What does your cellular icon show in the upper right and does it display LTE?

Last edited by mikey94025; 12-01-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:42 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
It sounds like your cellular connectivity is working because you can use the hotspot (good first check, often the problem so check https://myvehicle.att.com/). My 2020 C2S has the Navigation & Infotainment and with ATT cellular plan.

I've not used the traffic flow menu options before - Can you post a screenshot of what you think you're missing and I'll check my PCM? I notice traffic issues displayed as yellow roads in my map and I assume the PCM-recommended route changes based on realtime traffic (I notice my repeat trips into downtown sometimes uses the highway and other times surface streets, presumably due to realtime traffic conditions, but this is all passive on my part).

Suggested things to check:
  1. Go to https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en, click on Active Services, verify that Navigation & Infotainment Package is listed
  2. In the PCM: Set / Porsche Connect
    • Service Overview = Real-Time Traffic Information has an "until" date into the future / Same for Online route calculation and Real-time traffic info
    • Private Mode = Unchecked
    • Private Mode for selected services = Nothing should be checked
  3. Set / Navigation / Online Nav Service / Online Navigation = Checked
  1. I have already stated those services are active - through 10/15/2024
  2. PCM ... Set ... Porsche Connect - My User Profile of JON is in use and shows activated - Option is used to activate when using car profile
    1. Service Overview Real-Time Traffic Information shows 10/15/2024 ... same for all the services listed
    2. Private Mode is unchecked
    3. Private Mode for selected Services are all checked . I tried to uncheck and message said these services will be disabled..
  3. Set ... Navigation ... Online Navigation & Product Improvement = Checked
Pics attached ...

Shows I am activated

Shows Data is working (green) for the Integrated SIM

Within the Nav, no Traffic Flow settings

Based on a posting on the Web, I believe it was in this menu where I saw Traffic Flow and also Google+ options

None here

Old 12-01-2023, 02:51 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

I have AT&T cellular service in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. From the attached pic the LTE part looks the same as yours, however, it is also displaying your phone name where mine does not. Since I am using the Integrated SIM with AT&T Data, I would not expect it to show a name. I have tested the vehicle hot spot with a Wi-Fi only iPad connected to the car and can access the Internet just fine. As you can see, there is no satellite view showing, just a standard map..

Old 12-01-2023, 02:53 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics - It makes it easy to compare. Your cellular and LTE appears active and just fine, so strange that you don't see satellite in the map. I still guess that this is the easiest thing to debug first. [Update - Also make sure that if you zoom out then satellite doesn't appear; It might not show up in tight zoom settings]

> Based on a posting on the Web, I believe it was in this menu where I saw Traffic Flow and also Google+ options

Can you find the Traffic Options / Google+ pic? My earlier map layers menu pic shows I also don't see those, so maybe that is not how it is supposed to work or they only appear during a navigation routing (I'll check).

> Within the Nav, no Traffic Flow settings

Try this during a navigation routing because it might be different. And I'll compare to mine.

Last edited by mikey94025; 12-01-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:21 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics - It makes it easy to compare. Your cellular and LTE appears active and just fine, so strange that you don't see satellite in the map. I still guess that this is the easiest thing to debug first. [[b]Update - Also make sure that if you zoom out then satellite doesn't appear; It might not show up in tight zoom settings]
I actually thought about that and did in fact zoom out to the 3 mile setting (largest) and still was in map mode.

> Based on a posting on the Web, I believe it was in this menu where I saw Traffic Flow and also Google+ options

Can you find the Traffic Options / Google+ pic? My earlier map layers menu pic shows I also don't see those, so maybe that is not how it is supposed to work or they only appear during a navigation routing (I'll check).
Actually it was a YouTubeVideo in the UK and appears to be for a 991 center console computer. It still looked like PCM5 though. Here is the link:

> Within the Nav, no Traffic Flow settings

Try this during a navigation routing because it might be different. And I'll compare to mine.
I thought this might be the case so I did put in a destination for the Nav when I took all those pictures. I deliberately drove the car to work today to see if traffic might work during rush hour while programming in the destination. No luck.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:30 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

To be sure that the pcm is actually connected, connect your phone to the car WiFi and see if it connects to the internets. Turn off the cell connection to be sure. The green connection symbol doesn't mean you have data actually coming and going.
If all that you have done is not working, a call to the 1-800 is warranted. Be advised, it's an uphill battle to get support for this services. I never paid for it because it's subpar while others are much better for free and the support is nonexistent at best. Maybe you'll have more luck.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:40 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

There actually is a menu option that displays the amount of data being transferred over the Integrated SIM. When connected, you can see the data transfer numbers go up. You can even reset the stats.

The only difference with your directions and my setup involves unchecking the services for private mode. I will concentrate there as yours works and you have those options unchecked.

It makes no sense that ones phone needs to be connected. That is what the Integrated SIM and service charge are for. At least it has worked that way in my GMC Denali and in my wife's Audi. As a troubleshooting step, I did connect my phone Wi-Fi to the car.

Now readers can see why I posted here and am so frustrated.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Maybe it's time to book a service appointment. 50/50 shot.

Quick Reply: Real-time Traffic Flow Not Displaying