Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!New 992 engine noise!(youtube video with sound)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 04:46 PM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 24 C2S 7MT with a September build date and have not had this issue yet. In fact I test drove the car when my order arrived at the dealer before signing off on the paper work worried about this issue. I’ve only got 300 miles on it so far so it’s not to say that at some point it couldn’t start. I hope that there is a retroactive solution to this problem for anyone’s future.

Last edited by tna3; 12-10-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:58 PM
HudsonOH992GTS
Instructor

Received 343 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HudsonOH992GTS
So just an update, yesterday was four weeks in the shop, and the parts are not available and not even being produced for another week so I asked them to put the car back together which I will pick up Monday or Tuesday. When they get the parts I will then consider bringing the car in in the spring and having this addressed. But, I do think that this may be just a character trait or flaw of the car and I may rather live with it then go through a whole bunch of effort with the car out of service. I did raise a case with Porsche Cars North America and I think they will give me some sort of compensation for my troubles.
UPDATE:
The engine mounts arrived and I took my 911 C2GTS w MT in last Friday and got it back in 3 days. Warning, the passenger cup holder is fragile. Mine broke when lightly bumped, they replaced it under warranty. The mounts are now replaced and all agree there is marginal improvement at best. Even the SA and the tech expressed disappointment in not being able to fully resolve the issue. See service invoice below.

Porsche seems to be well aware of the issue and hopefully will come forward with a service bulletin soon.

I post this to further the cause. Also, I am just happy to drive the car. If had never read Rennlist, I am not sure I would have known to report the problem.

Last edited by HudsonOH992GTS; 12-12-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:25 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitanoAR
Hi folks,

I was reading carefully last days this thread and I was listening into my 992 (April/2023) carefully same last days. Did since the post about 500 miles. I tried to reproduce or hear on mine with normal mode, sport, sport plus (cold/hot engine) and I tried basically every combination with exhaust valve open/close etc.

I have to say I am very sensitive on any abnormal noise and I can confirm definitely mine isn’t having that noise at all.

I am very sorry for you. I would definitely insist to my dealership to fix this what you show in your video.

good luck 🍀
I have an April 23 C4S and have no issues/noise whatsoever (knocking on wood). Although the car has the Chrono package, I have not yet used launch control. Following this thread and the engine mount thread to see solution(s).
Old 02-18-2024, 10:29 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbanana
992Carreras ,When rpm 1500-1700,Lightly press the accelerator,can hear this snoring sound very clearly,please watch my YouTube video here https://youtu.be/KSnCmatyJpU?si=f-HEFW4W1ueqqQ1x. This drives me crazy,my dealer can't solve it. I drive around ten 992 in my dealer and found all 992 have this noise but noise from new 992 is louder than second hand 992. Dose this sounds right?
Dude I'm so glad I found your post. I discovered the same annoying thing today. A few things I would say:
1. It's only noticeable in normal or wet mode.
2. In sport mode- you can subtly notice it if you hunt for it (which I did after discovering this annoying rumbling lumber noise).
3. It's not just lugging the engine. If you drive in normal mode, it will happen every time even if you accelerate quickly as it goes through the low RPM phase (basically 0-30mph and it's intermittent, somewhat correlates with when the wheels bite the ground as gears shift)
4. This is the weirdest part. Do you feel that in addition to the "vibrational low hum rumbling rolling lumber sound" that it almost feels like the sound is more from the L rear axle or wheel? I started feeling like maybe it has to do with the suspension not being balanced, or the L rear wheel losing some grip, or something being a little loose, as the rumbling feels almost vibrational like a rumble rumble vibration vibration vibration click click (feeling like L rear wheel vibrating through the chassis to create this noise) louder from the driver's side.
I'm aware the car naturally has some imperfect door rattle etc which mine has and is livable with, but this is far beyond that.

Now yes I agree w/ most people driving in sport or sport plus is more fun and probably masks the problem. But I'm very curious what the actual reason for this vibrational low hum rumble is.

I have my first service in a couple weeks and will ask the dealer to investigate.

Here is a similar post
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...ain-noise.html

Other opinions from diff posts:
"Loose engine mount" sounds believable.
"sounds like ball bearings in a tin can"
"waste gate noise with something else that I forgot"- not sure what this means.
"As with everyone else on the forum at first I thought maybe something was wrong (loose muffler mount, loose heat shield mount, etc)"
"Sounds like walnuts rattling around in a coffee can"

Attaching a bulletin that seems to suggest loose mounts as the issue.

Also attaching a video (not mine) that someone else posted to summarize the problem. It's actually surprisingly hard to capture on video despite how annoyingly loud it is.

Summarizing findings for future people who search this issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1357...iving-upn.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s/1316713-low-speed-drivetrain-noise.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1263894-new-992-engine-mount-issue.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10207250-0001.pdf (532.9 KB, 42 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8610.MOV (16.16 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by Triathlonkid; 02-18-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:51 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
Dude I'm so glad I found your post. I discovered the same annoying thing today. A few things I would say:
1. It's only noticeable in normal or wet mode.
2. In sport mode- you can subtly notice it if you hunt for it (which I did after discovering this annoying rumbling lumber noise).
3. It's not just lugging the engine. If you drive in normal mode, it will happen every time even if you accelerate quickly as it goes through the low RPM phase (basically 0-30mph and it's intermittent, somewhat correlates with when the wheels bite the ground as gears shift)
4. This is the weirdest part. Do you feel that in addition to the "vibrational low hum rumbling rolling lumber sound" that it almost feels like the sound is more from the L rear axle or wheel? I started feeling like maybe it has to do with the suspension not being balanced, or the L rear wheel losing some grip, or something being a little loose, as the rumbling feels almost vibrational like a rumble rumble vibration vibration vibration click click (feeling like L rear wheel vibrating through the chassis to create this noise) louder from the driver's side.
I'm aware the car naturally has some imperfect door rattle etc which mine has and is livable with, but this is far beyond that.

Now yes I agree w/ most people driving in sport or sport plus is more fun and probably masks the problem. But I'm very curious what the actual reason for this vibrational low hum rumble is.

I have my first service in a couple weeks and will ask the dealer to investigate.

Here is a similar post
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...ain-noise.html

Other opinions from diff posts:
"Loose engine mount" sounds believable.
"sounds like ball bearings in a tin can"
"waste gate noise with something else that I forgot"- not sure what this means.
"As with everyone else on the forum at first I thought maybe something was wrong (loose muffler mount, loose heat shield mount, etc)"
"Sounds like walnuts rattling around in a coffee can"

Attaching a bulletin that seems to suggest loose mounts as the issue.

Also attaching a video (not mine) that someone else posted to summarize the problem. It's actually surprisingly hard to capture on video despite how annoyingly loud it is.

Summarizing findings for future people who search this issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1357...iving-upn.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s/1316713-low-speed-drivetrain-noise.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1263894-new-992-engine-mount-issue.html
Thank you for the post, I wasn't aware there was a bulletin for this issue. My dealer said that Porsche considers the noise to be normal. I don't buy it, but not sure what my recourse is. Does the service bulletin provide me with munitions to get my dealer to implement the fix described in the bulletin? What are the dealer's and the manufacturer's responsibilities/obligations?
Old 02-20-2024, 10:48 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mcacs1
Thank you for the post, I wasn't aware there was a bulletin for this issue. My dealer said that Porsche considers the noise to be normal. I don't buy it, but not sure what my recourse is. Does the service bulletin provide me with munitions to get my dealer to implement the fix described in the bulletin? What are the dealer's and the manufacturer's responsibilities/obligations?
I don't know, I was hoping someone else who is further along this journey could shed some light and also whether the fix truly fixes the problem or not. I'm not super hopeful the bolts will fix the issue. It's just annoying. I think I just have very high expectations in general.
I'm going to bring it up to my dealer during my upcoming service.

Typically if there is a bulletin they should fix it. But this is my first time dealing with Porsche so my experience with this brand is limited.

Last edited by Triathlonkid; 02-20-2024 at 10:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcacs1 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:39 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,090 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Gustavo-BR
Hi friends,

I have a 992 Turbo 2021. My car started to make this cricket noise at 3100km and I m very disapointed with it. Looks like Im using a defective car . The dealer told me thats normal, but when I bought it and ultil 3100km this cricket noise was not there, so, I dont believe its normal. Normal is not have this cricket noise.

The ideal is to listen or film in a quiet place and inside a garage or with side walls so as not to disperse the sound.

If you have same problem, you have to complain not to the dealership, but directly to the manufacturer !

I sent email to : customer.relations@porsche.de

Everyone should send an email to the manufacturer to see if they can issue a recall or at least provide a solution.

Please, watch the video below.

I think I have this noise too. My car is modified with stage 4 parts however, so I wasn't sure if it was related to that. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side VTG. For some reason, the VTG seems to rattle around a bit. It seems to go away when the car warms up? This is a pure turbo, stock body... I looked under the car it seems to me that the VTG goes up and down with this noise.. Its low rpm 1000-1500rpm.

I think its the VTG?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Noise.mov (17.50 MB, 27 views)
Old 02-21-2024, 01:48 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,090 Likes on 651 Posts

So a couple of different noises in here.... Has anyone solved these?

Quick Reply: HELP!New 992 engine noise!(youtube video with sound)