Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally C&D reviews the new T

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 02:49 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

A friend of mine just bought his first Porsche a PDK 992 S. He just got it like a week. I went to check it out and than we went for a drive in the T. After only 2 minutes he couldn’t believe the difference in sound (both the engine as other sounds) and was amazed. The T is so much more involved in sound and driving.

From a driving enthusiastic point of view one could write a nice review about this. Instead of just saying “a T is a bit louder which can be annoying”. Yes less sound insulation was the whole point of the T. Getting more involved, a bit GT style.

And then comparing the weight without mentioning if the specs are the same. Even so it’s not relevant at all. It’s about the ethos. Not actual numbers. Probably this post is more of a review than that whole article.

Just drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by Macboy; 10-25-2023 at 02:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macboy:
HOTCHKIS (10-25-2023), Wilder (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:08 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

I find it funny how many criticize the article due to insufficient driving impressions. The T is just a different trim of the 911, so it will not drive drastically different and there is inherently not much to say. The article does a good job at explaining what the T trim is composed of.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-25-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:23 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,215 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I find it funny how many criticize the article due to insufficient driving impressions. The T is just a different trim of the 911, so it will not drive drastically different and there is inherently not much to say. The article does a good job at explaining what the T trim is composed of.
And yet video reviews and other articles often discuss how those small changes make notable change to the driving experience. Past reviews often bring up certain intangibles that the numbers/stats don’t convey. Does it drive drastically different? Nah, it’s still a 911, but it is notable how it does drive different, and some people would like that discussion in a review.

The real issue is C&D is not that great of a magazine. It’s mostly just a consumer resource for comparing car stats (0-60, 1/4, skid pad, weight, dimensions, features, cost, etc.), but their articles leave a lot to be desired when describing the cars. Because C&D is such an advertisement they typically never say anything that negative about a car, it’s very light on criticism. I dropped my subscription years ago. I can Google the stats, and other magazines have articles and photography I appreciate more (R&T, Road Rat, 000).
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:27 AM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
6lbs… lol. As mentioned Porsche marketing hit it out of the park.
Is that before or after the driver's morning bowel movement
Old 10-25-2023, 11:37 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
Let's call it what it is...a brilliant move by Porsche marketing to make an extra $10,000 by offering a manual transmission and LSD with the base engine.
Plus the sticker on the door. That's worth a bunch too.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:40 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MingusDew
And yet video reviews and other articles often discuss how those small changes make notable change to the driving experience. Past reviews often bring up certain intangibles that the numbers/stats don’t convey. Does it drive drastically different? Nah, it’s still a 911, but it is notable how it does drive different, and some people would like that discussion in a review.

The real issue is C&D is not that great of a magazine. It’s mostly just a consumer resource for comparing car stats (0-60, 1/4, skid pad, weight, dimensions, features, cost, etc.), but their articles leave a lot to be desired when describing the cars. Because C&D is such an advertisement they typically never say anything that negative about a car, it’s very light on criticism. I dropped my subscription years ago. I can Google the stats, and other magazines have articles and photography I appreciate more (R&T, Road Rat, 000).
And again, the T is not specially different. It is the base engine with the -S sport suspension and a manual. So it will handle like an -S but with less power and have a bit more interior noise. That’s exactly what they said in the article. I have not read any different in other reviews despite some using more words to describe the same thing.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

"The 4.0 is just an RS with some parts."
"The 911R is just a GT3T with some parts."
"The 911ST is just a GT3T with some parts."
"The Dakar is just a GTS with some parts."
"The SC is just a Turbo with some parts."

Only the people who actually drive both understand it's not "some parts" but "sum of parts".

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Wilder; 10-25-2023 at 01:28 PM.
dixonk (10-26-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 01:32 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,039 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder

Only the people who actually drive both understand it's not "some parts" but "sum of parts".
True, but you know how it goes. Who has time to drive and understand when there is so much online posting to do?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
timothymoffat (10-25-2023), Wilder (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:44 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew

Long gone are the days when C&D made you feel like you were driving the car while reading the article. Even the British magazines for the most part can't capture that anymore. Today's cars are different - as are most buyers, so I suppose the reviews can be different as well.
Wilder (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 03:03 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv2yW...RlODBiNWFlZA==
There is a difference between some and same. The -T the shares the same components found on the base, S or GTS. it does not have some bespoke components that would massively alter the driving experience.

While I have not driven a -T, I have driven a base C4, a C2S, a GTS, a 4GTS, a turbo and GT3 992, plus a 991.2 GT3RS and GT2RS. I found it quite apparent where there is breed commonality and differences from bespoke components.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-25-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:09 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH911
Hi Guys ...... this YouTube video a while back was the ONE that convinced me to get a T .... pick it up in a few weeks ( and got 1% off of MSPR from Ottawa Canada dealer ) .... I have liked Savagegeese video's in the past ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X08NNJthZ3M

Glad to finally be a Porsche owner.
Greg
Kingsville, ON
great vid!
Old 10-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

There is a difference between some and same. The -T the shares the same components found on the base, S or GTS. it does not have some bespoke components that would massively alter the driving experience.
That's not correct. On paper, the nearest car you can spec to a T is a GTS with a LW package and that's a very different car. You can't spec a base with a manual or LSD or a number of other options I can't recall. It's not about "bespoke components that would massively alter the driving experience". It's about the sum of a number of parts that when combined, do make a significant difference in driving dynamics.

While I have not driven a -T, I have driven a base C4, a C2S, a GTS, a 4GTS, a turbo and GT3 992, plus a 991.2 GT3RS and GT2RS. I found it quite apparent where there is breed commonality and differences from bespoke components.
You really ought to drive a T and see for yourself.
Icegrill (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

That's not correct. On paper, the nearest car you can spec to a T is a GTS with a LW package and that's a very different car. You can't spec a base with a manual or LSD or a number of other options I can't recall. It's not about "bespoke components that would massively alter the driving experience". It's about the sum of a number of parts that when combined, do make a significant difference in driving dynamics.

You really ought to drive a T and see for yourself.

Subscribed for what comes next
Old 10-25-2023, 07:44 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Yep, if there's one thing Porsche does well (apart from building great sports cars) it's marketing. Hell, they got plenty of us to spend up on an S just to get a manual gearbox and then whamo, here's your manual base and you really, really want it because we saved a few bucks on the build, made it louder, and stuck on a different badge. Gotta love it.

CanAutM3 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 07:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yep, if there's one thing Porsche does well (apart from building great sports cars) it's marketing. Hell, they got plenty of us to spend up on an S just to get a manual gearbox and then whamo, here's your manual base and you really, really want it because we saved a few bucks on the build, made it louder, and stuck on a different badge. Gotta love it.

Not only that, but the way they stagger the release of trim levels.
aggie57 (10-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Finally C&D reviews the new T