Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 08:15 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
To me, that wasn’t actually a review. There was no discussion on how that car actually feels or handles. That’s 90% of what road tests used to be (and should be) and 90% of what I’d want to know. I wonder if the reviewer actually drove the car and if he/she has any real car experience. That could have been written from sale literature.

Edit:
“Drew Dorian is a lifelong car enthusiast who has also held a wide variety of consumer-focused positions throughout his career, ranging from financial counselor to auto salesperson. He has dreamed of becoming a Car and Driver editor since he was 11 years old…”

LOL, that explains it!
I've compiled everything in this "review" that is not just reference information you can find on Porsche's website or in the media brochure.

"More sound permeates the cabin as a result, which is both a good and a bad thing. When hustling, you hear more of the engine's melody, including the turbos spooling, but when cruising at steady highway speeds the engine note booms inside the cabin and can be a bit fatiguing.

...it easy to wind through corners with surgical precision. At the same time, its ride is surprisingly compliant, and the suspension does a good job managing rough stretches of pavement, rounding off the sharp edges of most bumps.

The seats themselves are comfortable and supportive, with bolstering suitable for hard driving but not uncomfortable for daily use.
"

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 10-25-2023, 11:40 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
On paper, the nearest car you can spec to a T is a GTS with a LW package
That is a quite funny statement

You can't spec a base with a manual or LSD or a number of other options I can't recall. It's not about "bespoke components that would massively alter the driving experience". It's about the sum of a number of parts that when combined, do make a significant difference in driving dynamics.
The -T definitely offers its own combination of options that make it distinctive when specced in a particular manner. I am not debating that. But to think it massively alters the driving experience is believing in magic dust and unicorns.

You really ought to drive a T and see for yourself.
Hopefully I will someday, but given I've already driven a very broad spectrum of recent 911 variants, I doubt it will change my opinion.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:22 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
That is a quite funny statement

The -T definitely offers its own combination of options that make it distinctive when specced in a particular manner. I am not debating that. But to think it massively alters the driving experience is believing in magic dust and unicorns.

Hopefully I will someday, but given I've already driven a very broad spectrum of recent 911 variants, I doubt it will change my opinion.
I see you like twisting other people's words. When you quote, don't cut other people's sentence to change the context. I specifically said "the GTS is a very different car". GTS with the LW package is the most similar to the T because it's the only model that offers a package that matches the standard options on a T, power and chassis aside. Also, I don't understand your fascination with this "massive" difference idea. Are you that unfamiliar with how Porsche does things? Subtle, progressive, iterative changes defines the way PAG has done things since the beginning. There is no massive. But there is significant, which is the word I used. But, it's your last sentence that was the funniest, literally admitting you're opining on spec, right after I posted a video of Nathan Merz explaining the fallacy of doing so. Thanks for that.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:50 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

I see you like twisting other people's words. When you quote, don't cut other people's sentence to change the context. I specifically said "the GTS is a very different car". GTS with the LW package is the most similar to the T because it's the only model that offers a package that matches the standard options on a T, power and chassis aside.
It is exactly that latter portion that I find funny: saying that the GTS is the closest to T because it can be ordered without rear seats. I guess we have a different view on what affects driving dynamics.

Also, I don't understand your fascination with this "massive" difference idea.
We need to go back to where the conversation started for that, which is the limited driving impressions provided in the C&D article. C&D did not say much because there isn’t that much to add versus all the other 911 variants they have tested.

Are you that unfamiliar with how Porsche does things? Subtle, progressive, iterative changes defines the way PAG has done things since the beginning. There is no massive. But there is significant, which is the word I used. But, it's your last sentence that was the funniest, literally admitting you're opining on spec, right after I posted a video of Nathan Merz explaining the fallacy of doing so. Thanks for that.
Quite the contrary. I am one that appreciates and values the fact that Porsche offers so many subtle variants of the 911, that all can be optioned to our hearts content, so each one of us can find our own “sweet spot” based on our own desires, use case and perceived value. I’ve expressed that sentiment in many other threads. As I posted previously, I have also been fortunate enough to have been able to drive on track a rather broad spectrum of the latest 911 lineup, which gives me a very good appreciation for the subtle and not so subtle difference in the driving dynamics between each brought by their respective technical particularities.

The thing is, some have a tendency to be overly defensive of the one variant they elected as their own personal sweet spot.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:03 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MingusDew
And yet video reviews and other articles often discuss how those small changes make notable change to the driving experience. Past reviews often bring up certain intangibles that the numbers/stats don’t convey. Does it drive drastically different? Nah, it’s still a 911, but it is notable how it does drive different, and some people would like that discussion in a review.

The real issue is C&D is not that great of a magazine. It’s mostly just a consumer resource for comparing car stats (0-60, 1/4, skid pad, weight, dimensions, features, cost, etc.), but their articles leave a lot to be desired when describing the cars. Because C&D is such an advertisement they typically never say anything that negative about a car, it’s very light on criticism. I dropped my subscription years ago. I can Google the stats, and other magazines have articles and photography I appreciate more (R&T, Road Rat, 000).
I don’t disagree, C&D are definitely not the most colourful at describing the subjective aspect of a given vehicle. But they are one of the most reliable American source of objective data due to their rather comprehensive and rigorous testing regimen, and the broad spectrum of cars they test (just look at how many variants of the 992 they have actually put through their full test). That is why I appreciate what they bring to the table, but I usually rely on other publication for the more subjective views.

As a tidbit, I find German publications, particularly Auto Motor und Sport/Sport Auto, usually provide a much more comprehensive view on the cars they test, through a rigorous test regimen, technical analysis, and, both street and track subjective driving impressions from pro drivers.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-26-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:40 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
To me, that wasn’t actually a review. There was no discussion on how that car actually feels or handles. That’s 90% of what road tests used to be (and should be) and 90% of what I’d want to know. I wonder if the reviewer actually drove the car and if he/she has any real car experience. That could have been written from sale literature.

Edit:
“Drew Dorian is a lifelong car enthusiast who has also held a wide variety of consumer-focused positions throughout his career, ranging from financial counselor to auto salesperson. He has dreamed of becoming a Car and Driver editor since he was 11 years old…”!
Anyone can write a car review by incorporating these clichés:
  1. "Sweet spot"
  2. Turning heads"
  3. "Behind the wheel"
  4. "Smooth as silk"
  5. "Burning rubber"
  6. "High-octane performance"
  7. "Sleek and sexy"
  8. "In the driver's seat"
  9. "Zero to sixty"
  10. "The heart of the beast" (referring to the engine)
  11. "Driving in style"
  12. "Turning on a dime"
  13. "Built for the open road"
  14. "Packed with horsepower"
  15. "A true road warrior"
Old 10-26-2023, 09:50 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

It is exactly that latter portion that I find funny: saying that the GTS is the closest to T because it can be ordered without rear seats. I guess we have a different view on what affects driving dynamics.
Apparently you don't know what the LW package is on the GTS. It's not just rear seat delete. And again, it's not just rear seat delete or the the LW glass, and LW carpet and insulation and everything else that makes up the T. But thanks for clarifying where your misplaced comments come from.

We need to go back to where the conversation started for that, which is the limited driving impressions provided in the C&D article. C&D did not say much because there isn’t that much to add versus all the other 911 variants they have tested.
Well that's funny because a lot of people/publications have a lot to say and not just about the T but about every variant. Is C&D a big authority these days? They used to be. These days they are on par with Consumer Reports and it's exactly because of articles, if you can call it that, like this one.

Quite the contrary. I am one that appreciates and values the fact that Porsche offers so many subtle variants of the 911, that all can be optioned to our hearts content, so each one of us can find our own “sweet spot” based on our own desires, use case and perceived value. I’ve expressed that sentiment in many other threads. As I posted previously, I have also been fortunate enough to have been able to drive on track a rather broad spectrum of the latest 911 lineup, which gives me a very good appreciation for the subtle and not so subtle difference in the driving dynamics between each brought by their respective technical particularities.

The thing is, some have a tendency to be overly defensive of the one variant they elected as their own personal sweet spot.
The T is just a different trim of the 911, so it will not drive drastically different and there is inherently not much to say.
...given I've already driven a very broad spectrum of recent 911 variants, I doubt it will change my opinion.
So you believe a variant needs to be massively different otherwise it drives like every other 911 but you also say you appreciate subtleties and you also you don't need to drive a car to form an opinion because you can do that based on the spec sheet? Does the focus you learn on track not translate to other parts of your life? That's great that you've driven more than one 911 and that you've done so on track. I'm on my 13th 911 (three currently), 22nd year of ownership and 18th year of track and autocross and all that's done is make me aware of how little I know. But clearly that's just me.

Don't confuse sensitivity with addressing nonsense comments from armchair experts, regardless of the car in question.

As a tidbit, I find German publications, particularly Auto Motor und Sport/Sport Auto, usually provide a much more comprehensive view on the cars they test, through a rigorous test regimen, technical analysis, and, both street and track subjective driving impressions from pro drivers.
Now this, I agree with.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:30 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfaM5
Long gone are the days when C&D made you feel like you were driving the car while reading the article. Even the British magazines for the most part can't capture that anymore. Today's cars are different - as are most buyers, so I suppose the reviews can be different as well.
Agree. I actually search out owner reviews… For example the concise description you gave Wilder, of your 7.2 GT.
Generally find them more useful in print.
Also like YouTube Savage Geese, Jay Em, Chris Harris, Steve Sutcliffe, Matt Farah and Zack Klapman.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:31 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Agree. I actually search out owner reviews… For example the concise description you gave Wilder, of your 7.2 GT.
Generally find them more useful in print.
Also like YouTube Savage Geese, Jay Em, Chris Harris, Steve Sutcliffe, Matt Farah and Zack Klapman.
Also agree that there are more thorough impressions/opinions these days filling in the gaps left by C&D and others that we used to rely on falling off. The Intercooler above is the only one I've seen where they drive a few models back to back for comparison. Others are likely expressing their opinions based on what they remember.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:58 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HappinessProcured
I must be going too slow. I haven't seen 30 yet, even with freeway driving.
same here, I have an extended tank. The best range I've gotten is about 500 miles or so at 25-26 mpg in Normal.

I don't believe 35mpg.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:39 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Apparently you don't know what the LW package is on the GTS. It's not just rear seat delete. And again, it's not just rear seat delete or the the LW glass, and LW carpet and insulation and everything else that makes up the T. But thanks for clarifying where your misplaced comments come from.
You assume a lot. I am actually quite familiar with it since I pondered the LW pack on my own car when speccing it. The GTS I drove was a MT with LWP while the 4GTS was a PDK and more luxuriously appointed (comfort oriented) one. From what I gather, the GTS LW pack also includes aero enhancements that are not included in -T. What is however not clear to me is if the -T gets reduced sound insulation beyond of what is offered standard on the GTS (not part of the LWP), the Porsche press material is no clear on this, maybe you might have more insight on this particular one. LW glass and the LW battery can be specced on other variants, so nothing special here. What is compelling is the fact the LW bucket seats are offered on the -T, and that can make a meaningful difference in the driving experience by enhancing vibrations and chassis movements that are transmitted to the driver. But then again, the LWBS need to be specifically optioned on the -T, and the one driven by C&D did not have them.

So you believe a variant needs to be massively different otherwise it drives like every other 911
Nope. Never said that nor implied that. Reread my posts.

but you also say you appreciate subtleties and you also you don't need to drive a car to form an opinion because you can do that based on the spec sheet? Does the focus you learn on track not translate to other parts of your life? That's great that you've driven more than one 911 and that you've done so on track. I'm on my 13th 911 (three currently), 22nd year of ownership and 18th year of track and autocross and all that's done is make me aware of how little I know. But clearly that's just me.
Yes I do appreciate the subtleties. And yes, after having driven different cars, it is possible to understand what different individual technical elements bring to the driving experience and it is indeed possible to form an educated opinion of what a combination of those technical elements will bring to the driving experience based on a tech sheet. So far, most of the 911 variants I have driven drove as I had anticipated them to. With the exception of the GT2RS that is, which was much more approachable and reassuring to drive than I expected it to be. Opinions can change, like I said, maybe I’ll get an opportunity to drive a -T at some point and will form a different opinion, but I doubt.

Me mentioning what variants of the 911 I have I driven was simply meant to explain how my opinion was formed, and not to compete with you, as you clearly have more history with the model than I do.

Don't confuse sensitivity with addressing nonsense comments from armchair experts, regardless of the car in question.
On forums there are some armchair experts and some keyboard warriors. Judging by your aggressive defensiveness, I am guessing you are a T owner with a strong confirmation bias. I, on the other hand, have no stake in this one.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-28-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 11:49 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes , arrivederci! Comparison tests are where it's at.
I asked a prolific automotive you tuber why he doesn't do more comparison tests.
Answer: fewer reviews, fewer clicks, less money.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 10-28-2023 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 01:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@CanAutM3 here it is again... nice attempt to twist words. Aggressive defensiveness? Go back and see who started engaging with whom and on what basis. I assume a lot but you guess I have strong confirmation bias? Do you listen to yourself? I don't assume anything and if you want confirmation bias, go back and review your post history. I respond directly to what you and other people post. But as you stated, you "guess". You clearly have knowledge to contribute but your attitude and approach stinks and nulls whatever you bring to the table.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:31 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

@CanAutM3 here it is again... nice attempt to twist words. Aggressive defensiveness? Go back and see who started engaging with whom and on what basis. I assume a lot but you guess I have strong confirmation bias? Do you listen to yourself? I don't assume anything and if you want confirmation bias, go back and review your post history. I respond directly to what you and other people post. But as you stated, you "guess". You clearly have knowledge to contribute but your attitude and approach stinks and nulls whatever you bring to the table.
When pot meets kettle.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

When pot meets kettle.
Nah. More like you living in a glass house and casting stones.

Quick Reply: Finally C&D reviews the new T