Sponsored by:

WPJ6 Recode for Bose amp - Dont Do It!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:33 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
what do those focal speakers go for that they come in a custom padded briefcase? Must be a pretty penny.
Here is more info on the Focal speaker kit :https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...imited-edition

Pricing varies by dealer and I have a number of other upgrades going in.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:47 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 638 Posts

Gonna sound epic...glad to see you went for an amp as no way the Bose amp would do those speakers justice.

I am looking a Match Up 10 DSP with Zen-V module, similiar to the Musicar approach, but done through my trusty local shop.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/up-10dsp

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT860/zen-v.html

To date, they have replaced all the door (audison ap 8 woofer and focal bmw coaxial mid) and front stage speakers (dynaudio tweeter and match bmw center) and prepped the doors, so ready for new amp. not messing around with sub.

FYI, BMW shares the same brackets for many of these speakers.

In the meatime...sound is "better" since I flattend the EQ on spotify and switch off the "audiophile" eq setting on Bose menu.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 12-12-2023 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (12-12-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:59 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 550 Likes on 303 Posts

Well this is going to surprise some folks… I just had this campaign done yesterday on my 23 Macan GTS.

I thought nothing of it because I already have the MusicarNW Stage 2 in my car.

The campaign must change the head unit and not the Bose amp… because the sound is now very flat.

I was worried it was me, placebo, but emailed Nick last night anyways. This morning I found this thread… what you guys describe is what I hear!
Old 03-04-2024, 11:07 AM
Hawknet
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any chance to undo the update via Piwis ?
Old 03-05-2024, 12:37 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
If you replace the amplifier it'll cancel out any re-coding that was done to the Bose system. The fiber-optic interface our system uses flattens out the factory equalization and gives us a perfect full-range signal to work with.

The Stage Two system is a good option for anyone that's had the misfortune of a recode. It'll sound a lot better than it did even before the neutered it.

Thread: Musicar Systems for BOSE 992
Nick, is there any chance of them screwing something up if they attempt to recode AFTER installing a Stage Two?
Old 03-30-2024, 05:44 AM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

See below...

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-30-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:47 AM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Well this is going to surprise some folks… I just had this campaign done yesterday on my 23 Macan GTS.

I thought nothing of it because I already have the MusicarNW Stage 2 in my car.

The campaign must change the head unit and not the Bose amp… because the sound is now very flat.

I was worried it was me, placebo, but emailed Nick last night anyways. This morning I found this thread… what you guys describe is what I hear!

Did you get to the bottom of this? I thought that the Musicar Stage 2 ensures a flat/linear feed into their (aftermarket) amplifier irrespective of any processing or EQ going on in the PCM/head unit? In which case, I can't see why it would sound any different after the campaign action.

I'd surmise that the software change (reprogramming or tuning) is being implemented in the PCM and not inside the Bose amplifier itself. In fact, I can't see that the Bose amplifier is capable of being updated via PIWIS; the only inputs to the Bose amp are optical audio if I understand correctly - but happy to be corrected? And I'd also suggest that most of the bass reduction is in the signals going to the door woofers, leaving the subwoofer channel largely unchanged.

So I'm thinking that the tune changes are being programmed in the PCM head unit and then, in a 'standard' car, the modified output signals are fed as reprofiled inputs to the Bose amplifier. But if the car has a Stage 2 audio upgrade, then the signals fed from the PCM into the Zen-V MOST converter will emerge from that device as essentially linear and flat inputs to the aftermarket amp, irrespective of what's going on in the PCM/head unit.

Yes or no? Anyone know more or better?

Just intrigued and trying to get my mind around what's going on!

James

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-30-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:02 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,570 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I’m going in for the 2nd year service soon, going to tell them not to do this Bose reprogram, but I’m sure they’ll do it anyways.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawknet
is there any chance to undo the update via Piwis ?
No. It's part of the Campaign program, the only way would be to get hold of the previous OEM version and overwrite. This might explain why dealer kept my car for near 4 months...

The other recalls deal with rear brake spreader, an engine label which may have important life saving information incorreclty labelled and some essentiaal pages for your manual.

Agree the Campaign does not AFAIK modify the Bose amp per se but works through PCM etc. In this case IIUC it simply limits the wattage passed to avoid the scratching and whirring of the woofer with increased bass settings. It's a little like a road side sign saying BUMP rather than fix the issue.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-30-2024 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:11 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,415 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’m going in for the 2nd year service soon, going to tell them not to do this Bose reprogram, but I’m sure they’ll do it anyways.
I specifically instructed my dealership not to perform the campaign and it’s written explicitly in the windshield work order. If I find they did it anyway I’m going to be pissed.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:06 AM
dudeoverthere
Pro

Received 555 Likes on 270 Posts

Contrarian opinion here. My car had significant distortion starting about volume level 19. After the update it's much better and I can listen to music without feeling like something will blow out.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 12:06 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Definitely mixed reviews on this recall…would be nice if there was a clearer consensus…and/or confirmation of exactly what it entails…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1367...ecoding-2.html
Old 03-31-2024, 12:26 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,330 Posts

It limits the power output to the woofers, it doesn't address any other issues

siberian
Old 03-31-2024, 01:59 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,415 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Contrarian opinion here. My car had significant distortion starting about volume level 19. After the update it's much better and I can listen to music without feeling like something will blow out.
It’s that inconsistency that results in the varying opinions among us. I have no distortion in my BOSE at all, so if it’s not broken…..

Quick Reply: WPJ6 Recode for Bose amp - Dont Do It!