Sponsored by:

anybody used windshild skin

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 03:49 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts
Default anybody used windshild skin

Ive been using clearplex. is this any good?
https://www.windshieldskin.com/store...mh-jh44t-5g2p6
Old 10-02-2023, 04:03 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Meh, I used STEK for my car I parked outside and another in the garage, the one in the garage is holding up very very well, the one parked outside for some reason had to be removed because it had lots of dust embeded in the skin making it look hazy, we tried to polish it out but it was not perfect and had to get it removed. If it is a car you park outside the garage, do not get it (which makes so sense because outside is where you need the protection the most).

This might be the brand issue or the batch used issue - but that was my experience.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:26 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Had Clearplex on a car several years ago and found the optical clarity pretty poor and lots of “orange peel” effect.

Have now used ExoShield on my last several cars and it is a much better product. Has a layer of ceramic in the top layer of the material which makes it a much “harder” surface. Have it on my 992, wife’s Panamera, and our Macan. It has saved several pretty good hits, and keeps the inevitable “sandblasting “ effect from developing over time.

Take a look at their website, but as with any film, the installer matters.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:23 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

I have Clearplex on my 911 which is getting replaced soon with something else. Looks fine from inside but after 2 years looks like crap from outside when the sun hits it. Borderline embarassing at cars and coffee but I wouldn’t drive without any type of film. Wife’s car has Stek but it’s too new to tell if it will hold up better.

Last edited by Master Deep; 10-02-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:10 AM
SA_992SMT
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Ive been using clearplex. is this any good?
https://www.windshieldskin.com/store...mh-jh44t-5g2p6
I'm actually going to get this very film installed in a few weeks. From what I read, it's a new product (2022) that is made of TPU material which is different from the PET based material used Clearplex and Exoshield. It apparently has self healing properties for small impacts like PPF film. A guess I will know once I have it for a while. I just got my windshield replaced and the installer is a friend of mine, so I decided to give it a try.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:48 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by SA_992SMT
I'm actually going to get this very film installed in a few weeks. From what I read, it's a new product (2022) that is made of TPU material which is different from the PET based material used Clearplex and Exoshield. It apparently has self healing properties for small impacts like PPF film. A guess I will know once I have it for a while. I just got my windshield replaced and the installer is a friend of mine, so I decided to give it a try.
please update after its installed...thanks carl
Old 10-03-2023, 01:20 AM
SA_992SMT
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Will do.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:13 AM
pal
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

I have STEK Dynoshield on my BMW M2 and Toyota Supra. Both are parked inside, and the M2 is a track car. I am fairly good about regularly cleaning the windshield with a SiO2 cleaner and microfiber, and also wipe down the surface of the wipers. I never use the windshield cleaner at gas stations, and carry my microfiber and sprary in the car. The M2 shield is coming up on 2 years, and beside minor scratches from the wipers likely picking up dust, it's held up well. It's also take a couple of nice hits - one rock and one tire marble on track - which could have cracked the windshield otherwise. Besides the regular maintenance, which can be a hassle at times, I've been happy.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:17 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

I had Exoshield on my first 992 and wouldn’t recommend it even though it did save me a windshield by taking a huge rock. I removed the film myself before trading the car and the glass underneath was perfect. It was a good install but the film lacked optical clarity, scratched very easily, and didn’t bead water at all no matter what was applied to it. Even my installer has been disappointed with its performance and doesn’t recommend it anymore. He does still offer it but calls it a 2-year, imperfect solution. I chose not to have it installed on my current 992 and bought a third party warranty (Glassparency) instead, which came with their hydrophobic coating that supposedly reduces the likelihood of cracks. I don’t know about that, but the windshield coating is awesome…super slick and holding up after 6 months. The warranty coverage is garbage (learned that the hard way on my other car), so I wouldn’t buy that again. But there are other warranties out there, including through your regular car insurance in some cases.

My two cents is that none of these exterior windshield films are ready for prime time. Hopefully that’ll change in the future.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 04:19 AM
Defrag
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Had Bray, Clearplex and now I have Stek.
As for the windshield protection itself - must have imo, especially for any low driving sports car.

As for brands and quality:
Bray and Clearplex are formed by heatgun to fit the windshield and are 'hard shells' and totally different from Stek, which is pretty much a normal ppf thats put with just water and has soft feeling, but its just on windshield.

Visibility throu both Clearplexy and bray was far superior, problems started after 2 years, before that - it was perfect. Stek is terrible from the beggining, the blur from other lights is insane and unbearable to the point I will take it off after less then 3 months.

And yeah, windshield foil is supposed to be replaced max 2-3 years (depends mostly how much chemicals u use on it).
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: anybody used windshild skin