Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 07:58 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

True MSRP purchase with nothing more seems to be the "best deal available" these days. Cash ADM (cash gone and nothing further to show for it), forced dealer add-on purchases (at least you get SOMETHING for your money) and/or below market trade-in values (or combinations of these) is what seems to be pretty typical. And those who insist on paying none of these out of principle can just wait, and the price will inevitably increase and you just end up paying the higher price as Porsche MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:38 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

You lost me at auto. Pass.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
MaddMike (09-21-2023), V999 (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:51 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Try for no add ons. If they refuse, then try to get them to go for just Porsche prepaid maintenance. The dealer PPF will probably be a low quality job done with a kit, and not a quality wrap job.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:23 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

Since you are Zinedine Zidane, you can headbutt the dealer until he agrees to your terms

The following 4 users liked this post by bwhale:
AMack6 (09-22-2023), OncPorsche (09-21-2023), V999 (09-22-2023), Zinedine Zidane (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 11:13 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I had to pay $5k and got floor mats. Sounds like a decent deal, but it still stings. I didn’t have a trade in, and have never purchased a P car before ordering this T. I’m the last guy that can afford a ADM but I’m really wanting to own a 911T with a manual transmission so I bit.
The following users liked this post:
AMack6 (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 02:09 AM
AMack6
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

To OP - If it is the spec you really want, or close to it, I think that's a great deal. I've been on a MSRP Carrera T list since it was released and haven't moved up a ton, not sure if my name will get called before production ends and while I've found dealers across the country willing to sell to me, its for $10k+ ADM.

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Unless you are looking for a PDK, wait for a manual. There will be more. Get on the list and spec one to your order. My dealer said that he has plenty of T allocations coming next month so wait for the right car.
To MaddMike - Just curious if your dealer is high volume or not? This is reassuring to hear as I'm supposedly #4 at my dealer but they are a small to medium dealer in the intermountain region and I'm not sure how realistic it'll be for them to get 4 allocations in the next batch.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:20 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

You answered your own question in your first post. You won’t give your town/city name bc you know someone else will jump in front of you and take that deal in two shakes. The dealer knows it as well.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:25 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinedine Zidane
I have an opportunity on a 992 911T coming in to my local dealer on a general allocation. I live in a smaller population area and I wont’t give the town to avoid someone jumping in ahead of me.

Anyway, the dealer will sell it to me at MSRP because I’m local. The car arrives in a few months. They do have dealer options of maintenance for an additional year and a clear bra. The total for two items is about 4k.

What leverage do I have? Don’t want to lose this, but I have purchased a Cayaenne S and about 8 different BMW models in the past 15 years, and Have never paid anything close to sticker. Should I open with waiving the bra and maintenance plus oe would I be overplaying it to also ask for a 1-2% discount? I am a loyal buyer and will likely buy several more Porsche from them if they treat me well.

please advise.
$4K for clear bra and additional year of service is not bad at all.

Additional year of service is $1,040
If it's full front-end with paint correction and rockers, $3,000 os a good deal.

I would negotiate on both and get both add ons.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:41 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 947 Posts

If you like the spec and actually do want a PDK (yuck) then offer to take the maintenance and 2 year tire and wheel plan in place of the clear bra telling them you prefer to use your own PPF installer.

But as others have said MSRP plus some add ons for $4k which do have some value is a great deal in this market. There won’t be a cooling down in a couple years. People are paying straight ADM with no benefits. So take the deal.

Unless the spec is crap. Then pass.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:04 PM
Zinedine Zidane
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the input. This gives me a good sense of the market.

I am inclined to negotiate off the clear bra for another year or two of maintenance. Something useful to me. I feel like the bra is more of a detriment on resale than an enhancement. Am I wrong?

Also, the matter of the PDK. I would prefer an auto for a daily driver but is it going to hammer the value on resale? Everybody here (enthusiasts) would want a manual. With an MSRP deal, I am not wanting to get the extra hammer on depreciation by having the type of transmission folks do not prefer on a T. Interesting to note, new PDK 992 T's can be found searching the Porsche website...
Old 09-22-2023, 02:31 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

PDK will be worth 5-10k less. You're buying a 911. It's as good as it gets for depreciation, so don't sweat it.

You keep referring to a "bra" and I'm not clear on what you mean. If you mean PPF, PPF is going to add value to a lot of people and for those who don't want it, they can always take it off. So it's either value add or zero value but it won't reduce value.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:44 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinedine Zidane
Thanks to all for the input. This gives me a good sense of the market.

I am inclined to negotiate off the clear bra for another year or two of maintenance. Something useful to me. I feel like the bra is more of a detriment on resale than an enhancement. Am I wrong?

Also, the matter of the PDK. I would prefer an auto for a daily driver but is it going to hammer the value on resale? Everybody here (enthusiasts) would want a manual. With an MSRP deal, I am not wanting to get the extra hammer on depreciation by having the type of transmission folks do not prefer on a T. Interesting to note, new PDK 992 T's can be found searching the Porsche website...

It depends on the quality of the installation. A crappy installation job could be a slight detriment but not more detrimental than paint full of stone chips. Even a crappy PPF job will protect most of the paint under it giving the next person the option of removing it to find good paint beneath and then redoing PPF properly versus a bunch of stone chips that needs to get touched up or even possibly needing a respray which does hurt the value. Personally, I would not take dealer installed PPF and take more pre-paid maintenance instead if you intend to keep the car that long. Dealer installed PPF is almost always crap as they sub it out to the lowest bidder. I would have PPF done by a shop that I select after purchase. And modern PPF is more than just a "bra" or "clear bra".

I'm all for spec'ing a car for yourself and not the next person and just like how you want a PDK in your T, there will be someone else that will too but most T buyers are seeking out manual ones because it goes with the ethos of what the T is supposed to represent. It's a unique trim that allows one to choose a manual and comes with most of the performance features standard without paying S trim price. You will likely lose demand value but not necessarily monetary value as someone else will eventually come around and want it. And yes, of course new PDK Ts are available because most new buyers still choose PDK over manual but that doesn't mean they will resell as well.

And all of this means more in private sale than say if you just trade the car back to the dealer in a year or two. If you do the latter, it really makes no difference as the dealer goes by whatever lowest book value they want to give you at the time unless the current market values sustain but no one has a crystal ball that can determine that.

Last edited by rasetsu; 09-22-2023 at 02:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
alin2 (09-22-2023), Zinedine Zidane (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 02:49 PM
Zinedine Zidane
7th Gear

Yes, PPF…
Old 09-22-2023, 02:59 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Just at my dealer now, one of the biggest in N America. My SA is telling me sports car demand is suddenly way down, people are actually backing out of orders where before they were paying premiums. Most sales now are highly optioned new Cayennes.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:07 PM
Zinedine Zidane
7th Gear

There she blows…the first crack in the armor on these crazy prices? I was looking last night at recent price increases from Porsche and it reminds me of the college tuition bubble. Really don’t want to be on the wrong side of that correction.

FYI looked up my BMW X5 M50I residual and it’s 46k. The average condition middle of the range trade in for my vehicle is 57K. Anybody tried to negotiate lease return equity?

Quick Reply: Need Help Negotiating