Sponsored by:

Let’s Talk Wings

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 03:00 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 471 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 6172crew
I’d step into a Carrera classic one if it was available. The aero one available is a bit too much for my build.
Agreed, would look amazing on my LO.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:08 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Big fan of the Moshammer Evo II .. I wonder if that would fit on a cab... 🤔

Won't fit Cabs and Targas according to their site

Not available for 992 Cabrio and Targa models
Available for all 992 Coupé models Carrera T | S | 4S | GTS | GT3 TOURING
Old 09-19-2023, 03:18 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Old 09-19-2023, 03:25 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Wings and Ducktails add a lot of drag - they actually slow your car down. Great for the track on modified suspensions and Cup tires (or slicks). Decorations on street cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
GuardsRed992 (09-22-2023), MaddMike (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:45 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

I dont even have a wing or big ducktail but find some of the comments and statements that either are pro or contra as simply narrow minded, ignorant, and presumptuous. Get real or accept that your opinion is just that - an opinion.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:48 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Wings and Ducktails add a lot of drag - they actually slow your car down. Great for the track on modified suspensions and Cup tires (or slicks). Decorations on street cars.
Wings are great for track period. You don't need modified suspension or slicks. They improve lap times. The drag penalty is pretty much always worth it

They are not decoration for street cars. Wings do a considerable amount of work even at 70mph. And if you want to drive fast on the freeway they add a ton of stability. The aero balance of the car depends on front and rear being considered together. I'm guessing the GT3 Touring has less front aero to compensate for the missing wing
Old 09-19-2023, 03:49 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I dont even have a wing or big ducktail but find some of the comments and statements that either are pro or contra as simply narrow minded, ignorant, and presumptuous. Get real or accept that your opinion is just that - an opinion.
To their credit, they all caveated their replies with "to them" or "in their opinion". Even though OP wasn't asking for people's opinions on how it would look, but such is RL posters being RL posters.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:00 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Wings are great for track period. You don't need modified suspension or slicks. They improve lap times. The drag penalty is pretty much always worth it

They are not decoration for street cars. Wings do a considerable amount of work even at 70mph. And if you want to drive fast on the freeway they add a ton of stability. The aero balance of the car depends on front and rear being considered together. I'm guessing the GT3 Touring has less front aero to compensate for the missing wing
Yeah, well......OK. I have 25 years HPDE Instructor Experience that would say otherwise, also some lap times tucked away somewhere on a spreadsheet on a test BMW that would back that up, but they are buried somewhere where I can't probably locate them.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:20 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Let's see... In your opinion, anyone who has an opinion is narrow minded, ignorant, or presumptuous.

Did I get that right?
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:42 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Yeah, well......OK. I have 25 years HPDE Instructor Experience that would say otherwise, also some lap times tucked away somewhere on a spreadsheet on a test BMW that would back that up, but they are buried somewhere where I can't probably locate them.
Firstly, I said pretty much, and I will stand by that. Why did the wing slow your car down? That's unusual.
My track car went a lot faster with aero, on street tires. Every points based system in racing considers a wing to be an advantage. So your original comments are still not representative of most people's real world experience. Wings generally don't need modified suspension or special tires and they generally improve lap times.

Your 25 years of experience can't say otherwise. Sounds like you have one isolated case that says so. I can point you to 50 people who will disagree with you that go to the track very often

Last edited by VarTheVar; 09-19-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:39 PM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Some interesting replies

Fell off my chair laughing at comments suggesting a rear wing is just for decoration, and only useful if driving at 10/10ths of the cars capability.
whatever you’re smoking must be some premium product.

The raised spoiler on a gt3 touring is way more of an eyesore than a winged gt3 at speed imo.
In the end it’s different strokes for different folks, but I’ll take a winged gt3 for aesthetics and performance over a touring
any day, and twice on Sunday.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:53 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,533 Likes on 551 Posts

I'm really torn on whether to add the Aerokit to my Carrera T build that freezes soon.

On one hand, I think it looks awesome at most angles, and makes the car more unique... especially with aerokits having such limited availability on 992.1. I've also always envied the aerokit cars dating back to the 996.

On the downside, it makes the car borderline too flashy and goes a little bit against the "less-is-more" ethos of the T.

My fear is that I'll regret not choosing it when I had the chance... I'm just nervous about it making the car too audacious especially in Guards Red.
​​​​

​​​​
Old 09-19-2023, 06:40 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by B194HR
Fell off my chair laughing at comments suggesting a rear wing is just for decoration, and only useful if driving at 10/10ths of the cars capability.
whatever you’re smoking must be some premium product.

The raised spoiler on a gt3 touring is way more of an eyesore than a winged gt3 at speed imo.
In the end it’s different strokes for different folks, but I’ll take a winged gt3 for aesthetics and performance over a touring
any day, and twice on Sunday.
Tobeit is going to scold you, if you continue talking like that.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:47 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,873 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
I'm really torn on whether to add the Aerokit to my Carrera T build that freezes soon.

On one hand, I think it looks awesome at most angles, and makes the car more unique... especially with aerokits having such limited availability on 992.1. I've also always envied the aerokit cars dating back to the 996.

On the downside, it makes the car borderline too flashy and goes a little bit against the "less-is-more" ethos of the T.

My fear is that I'll regret not choosing it when I had the chance... I'm just nervous about it making the car too audacious especially in Guards Red.
​​​​

​​​​
I had a 997 Carrera 4S with the aero kit. I thought it was cool when I first bought it but quickly tired of the look as I missed the classic Porsche rear haunches--so much less boy racer to my eye and people kept asking me about my GT3 which made me feel even more poser. Got rid of it in a year.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:59 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah

​​​​

​​​​
I placed my order based on what I liked. Guards Red C2S with Aerokit. A few days before delivery I had concerns that maybe it would be too flashy. After nearly two years of daily driving I’ve never had any regrets or thoughts it was too flashy. 99.9% of the people won’t give it a second look except for the occasional car guy.
The following 2 users liked this post by RRich:
3rdpedal (09-19-2023), rasetsu (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Let’s Talk Wings