Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2023 | 01:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As the old saying goes, any press is good press.
If you’re an actor, maybe. Not always the case in other lines of work.
Old 09-17-2023 | 01:47 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Proudly tuned ‘20 C2S with M-engineering stage2, catless downpipes and JCR exhaust, as well as pdk tune. Love every minute of it. Close to TTS power. Not everyone here can afford a TTS, but some can “afford” the very minimal risk of tuning. Didn’t do it for top end speed, but mostly for the power delivery/bursts at lower speeds.

Last edited by reddsektor; 09-17-2023 at 02:06 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by reddsektor:
2thHappy (09-20-2023), HOTCHKIS (09-18-2023), Rich_911T (09-22-2023)
Old 09-17-2023 | 06:02 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
And in doing that they developed the GTS first.
Not the engine. The configuration maybe. But not the engine.
Old 09-17-2023 | 11:44 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Methinks maybe it wasn’t so wise for APR to start this thread. Arguments to tune are pretty weak, arguments to not tune are compelling.
This is valuable market research for them so they know where to invest or not invest in future products. If you notice there have been no comments from APR since their first post in this thread. We got played lol.
Old 09-18-2023 | 08:35 AM
SamD
Racer

Originally Posted by c1pher
If you notice there have been no comments from APR since their first post in this thread. We got played lol.
See post #8
Old 09-18-2023 | 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c1pher
This is valuable market research for them so they know where to invest or not invest in future products. If you notice there have been no comments from APR since their first post in this thread. We got played lol.
Facilitating people publicly bash the type of services you offer is not a good way to do market research.
Old 09-18-2023 | 10:21 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Tuning threads can be real head scratchers.
Joe Blow the outspoken 911 owner declares that his 911 is more than fast enough for him and of course anyone else, then proceeds to advise anyone who tunes their 911 just how wrong and foolish they are. Simply amazing how these narcissists have their heads explode when someone dares to not listen to their BS.
The following 7 users liked this post by shelbyking:
adrianp89 (09-18-2023), Bezlar (09-18-2023), Chris Connor (09-18-2023), dixonk (09-19-2023), Jeahbladejeah (09-19-2023), stiff///M (09-21-2023), surquhar (09-18-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2023 | 10:21 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

I tuned my 2020 C2S after I installed Kline cats and the JCR rear. Honestly I needed the cold start delete the most as I was tired of my neighbors reacting to the car blasting them with amazing sound first thing in the morning.

I went ME for the tune. Power curve feels oem with an additional wallop of power. The tune + exhaust at WOT makes an incredible shriek. I've had no issues to speak of except being at speeds in excess of 100mph too frequently and too smoothly to notice.

Trans tune is next to get rid of those miserable virtual gears. These things are machines. Enjoy them stock, or spice them up a bit. With proper care and maintenance, if you can afford to fix it should a warranty be denied, then it's all about personal preference. For me, modding the car keeps me from buying more cars... So I'm always looking to tinker

The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (09-21-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 10:27 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Facilitating people publicly bash the type of services you offer is not a good way to do market research.
A private focus group would have shielded them from public negative comments but that would have costed them more time and money. APR posted this question in every active Porche forum and they got more positive responses in general in the Macan and Cayman forums. So they definitely got the feedback they wanted to see what the attitudes for each purchasing demographic has regarding installing aftermarket tunes.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 10:32 AM
Drew46
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
My only point is that Porsche developed the 992 GTS engine first. Then shelved that spec and released a detuned version of the same engine as the S/4S, etc. 2+ years later they released the GTS. They simply lifted their own ECU restrictions from the original engine in releasing the GTS. M-Engineering and APR, etc. tunes only re-realize that for S models and then some, albeit by some other means.
Well, if they detuned the GTS engine for the S and base, then isn't the GTS engine "tuned" by definition.

Again, I think the poster's point was that each engine is tuned buy the manufacture. An after-market tune isn't adding a tune to an untuned car, it is changing the tune on a tuned car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Manifold (09-18-2023), Vicbastige (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 12:52 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shelbyking
Joe Blow the outspoken 911 owner declares that his 911 is more than fast enough for him and of course anyone else, then proceeds to advise anyone who tunes their 911 just how wrong and foolish they are. Simply amazing how these narcissists have their heads explode when someone dares to not listen to their BS.
Seems like you are the same only the other side of the coin.
Old 09-18-2023 | 02:13 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shelbyking
I am not against anyone tuning their car. If you can afford to take the risk or don't care, then I say go for it.
Old 09-18-2023 | 02:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It's not dumb to tune or not tune a car.

But tuning comes with some risks, and you have to understand the potential consequences of those risks.

I'm generally not willing to take those risks because I trust that Porsche has done a good job of balancing performance with durability and reliability, and I don't want to change that balance. A car engine and a car overall are designed as systems, and it's generally not a good idea to change just one part of the system without carefully evaluating the effects on the rest of the system (e.g., many people upgrade power a lot without upgrading brakes at all).
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
c1pher (09-18-2023), Vicbastige (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 05:57 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

(e.g., many people upgrade power a lot without upgrading brakes at all).
Why would this be necessary when power is upgraded ?
Kinetic energy of the car needs to be converted to heat and pad wear by the brakes
Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2
So if you go faster... higher v... then you need more force to stop the car
If the car is heavier, you need more force to stop it
The brakes are designed to stop the car from its max speed ~185mph or so

You would need to upgrade the brakes if you plan on a much higher top speed, or you add weight to the car, or possibly if you use them frequently and aggressively if you are track driving and they may not dissipate all the heat... the last is true even if you don't increase power however

None of these are because you have more power
Old 09-18-2023 | 06:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
Why would this be necessary when power is upgraded ?
Kinetic energy of the car needs to be converted to heat and pad wear by the brakes
Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2
So if you go faster... higher v... then you need more force to stop the car
If the car is heavier, you need more force to stop it
The brakes are designed to stop the car from its max speed ~185mph or so

You would need to upgrade the brakes if you plan on a much higher top speed, or you add weight to the car, or possibly if you use them frequently and aggressively if you are track driving and they may not dissipate all the heat... the last is true even if you don't increase power however

None of these are because you have more power
You answered your question: heat. Faster car needs bigger brakes and better brake cooling to dissipate heat, especially on the track. 911 Turbo/S has big brakes for this reason.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)