Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 06:51 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Had my 992 C2 tuned at Franklin in B'ham a few months ago. I love it.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:39 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Arin@APR
What's the general consensus on this forum and platform when it comes to tuning? Have you tuned your engine and/or transmission? If you did, why did you do it, and if you didn't, what's holding you back?

We've been tuning Porsches for over 20 years at APR. You can see a list of Porsche Models we tune here. It's not all of them, but a good chunk of models. The software we have is also on sale until the end of October right now.

When it comes to some of the other brands we tune, some of the more high end models, like the Audi RS6 and the Audi RS3 are heavily tuned. On the RS3 front it's hard to find one that isn't tuned. We see the same on some Porsche models, but on others it seems some are hesitant.

So, what's your take on tuning?

Do you have a solution for California and its CARB compliance to get the car smog passed ?
The following users liked this post:
tutis (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:47 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I think he means that all cars are "tuned" by the manufacturer to their spec.
The proper word is "engineered" not "tuned."
Old 09-15-2023, 08:22 PM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I actually don’t mind a mild tune. There is tolerance room left by Porsche, if you look at the powertrain difference between S and GTS, it amounts to software and badge. So I’m not worried about negative effect on longevity in the way I use it (occasional call for power). I’m mostly worried about resale and warranty when a tune leaves traces that it was applied even when reverted back to stock maps.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:23 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

What about resale? Could failing to disclose be considered a deceit?
The following 2 users liked this post by SamD:
amphicar770 (09-21-2023), tutis (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:02 PM
gtssss
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 19 Posts

I would like to tune my GTS, however I’m still unsure how risky ecu tunes are. Everyone and the ECU tuners themselves state that it’s very safe, however most tuners don’t warranty your engine in the event something goes wrong. Even worse, is that Porsche can detect any ecu tune in the event of engine failure, essentially making these “invisible” ecu tunes not so invisible. I know APR warranties you, but isn’t it only for a little bit and up to $10,000?? An engine replacement is more than $10,000.

On the other hand, I haven’t seen anyone on rennlist who had an engine failure from a tune, so that effectively makes tuning the car a no brainer to me. +100 HP and no issues? Why not for $2000?

I am going to daily my GTS and do many track days, so I’m probably going to put over 50k miles on it before I’m done, so I worry also that tuning may effect my longevity with the engine since I will be using it for many miles.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I have a T. Three reasons I haven't tuned:

1. I love that the base engine with the smaller turbos feels nearly NA. More torque would be fun but would change the character of the car and make it feel more like a proper turbo.
2. I also love that the base engine sounds nearly NA. By spinning the turbos faster, the car will inevitably make more turbo noises and again, change the character of the car to make it feel more like a proper turbo.
3. I like to turn off nannies and wring out the car like you would an older 911s. It's hard enough to do so with 400hp and starts getting riskier with more power regardless of skill level.

The above doesn't mean I'm against tuning or that I won't tune in the future. I'm just enjoying my new car as is.
The following users liked this post:
Rgwirtz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:36 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

The only thing holding me back is that I have no need for more power currently, and I’m not money enough to not care about $87k for an engine.

It’s been a year and I’ve never even seen a 992 GTS doing a pass at a real drag strip. Everyone that tunes just does a Dragy run.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
c1pher (09-15-2023), Ray K. (09-18-2023), tutis (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:56 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tutis
Tuning your Porsche is not a good idea. If you want more power, trade in your car and get a more powerful one. Porsche will always have something more powerful to sell to you
  • Manufacturers invest heavily in engine reliability through extensive testing. This includes running engines for hundreds of thousands of hours under various extreme conditions to identify failure points.
  • Unlike manufacturers, tuners generally do not conduct such rigorous testing. They often modify fuel mix, turbo boost, and timing advance, which can compromise engine reliability.
  • Emission standards are another area where manufacturers invest significant resources. Teams of engineers work to ensure engines meet strict emission guidelines for NoX and CO2.
  • Tuners, on the other hand, usually prioritize performance over emissions. They often make changes to the ECU maps without considering the impact on emission levels.
  • The notion that manufacturers use marketing ploys to differentiate car models is incorrect. For example, Porsche installs larger, more expensive turbos in higher-end models like the S and GTS for performance and reliability reasons. They wouldn't spend more on turbos if it were all just a tune away from staggering the performance.
  • It's misleading to think that an ECU mapper, who may have only spent a few hours on engine tuning, would have more expertise than a team of Porsche engineers who have invested thousands of hours in research and development.
I think your points are valid...generally. I think the difference here is that Porsche detuned the "S" and base models to market the value in each more powerful model. I realize there are some slight mechanical differences, but seeing how much hp was easily gained in the 991.2 generation base vs the 991.2 GTS, it is clear Porsche wanted to position the cars in distinct hp bands.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:09 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
The only thing holding me back is that I have no need for more power currently, and I’m not money enough to not care about $87k for an engine.

It’s been a year and I’ve never even seen a 992 GTS doing a pass at a real drag strip. Everyone that tunes just does a Dragy run.
That’s where I am. I have tuned a lot of cars but risking an issue with an over $150k car is too much risk for me. I am currently waiting for an M2 and will probably tune that. I realize APR offers the APR+ warranty but then the cost for the tune skyrockets. Obviously APR has to underwrite any claims so I get it.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:30 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Why would you need to? Show me three ppl who say they can drive these cars to their ability and I'll show you three fools.

I truly DK though, bragging rights?
The following 3 users liked this post by Shogunade:
amphicar770 (09-21-2023), tutis (09-16-2023), Wilder (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:16 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Why would you need to? Show me three ppl who say they can drive these cars to their ability and I'll show you three fools.

I truly DK though, bragging rights?
I have a lowly Targa 4S so I’m told it doesn’t handle very well.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:18 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I can say that the only difference in a 718 GTS4.0 and GT4 power output is strictly tuning. So it does happen.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:42 AM
DR911s
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
My only point is that Porsche developed the 992 GTS engine first. Then shelved that spec and released a detuned version of the same engine as the S/4S, etc. 2+ years later they released the GTS. They simply lifted their own ECU restrictions from the original engine in releasing the GTS. M-Engineering and APR, etc. tunes only re-realize that for S models and then some, albeit by some other means.
Ahhhh, didn't Porsche use different turbos on the base, S and GTS variants of the 991.2 platform? That means the differences are more than just removing ECU restrictions.

I have a 2017 C2S and can say from experience that addition of a FVD tune made a noticeable difference; I was not going for maximum possible power and torque. The tune also enabled me to turn off the auto Stop/Start system which was always active upon startup of the engine. And to reduce the burbles in Sport Mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by DR911s:
Fullyield (09-16-2023), tutis (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 12:55 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by DR911s
Ahhhh, didn't Porsche use different turbos on the base, S and GTS variants of the 991.2 platform? That means the differences are more than just removing ECU restrictions.

I have a 2017 C2S and can say from experience that addition of a FVD tune made a noticeable difference; I was not going for maximum possible power and torque. The tune also enabled me to turn off the auto Stop/Start system which was always active upon startup of the engine. And to reduce the burbles in Sport Mode.
So for the 992 there are two basic engines. The turbo and turbo s have the 3.8 and afaik the turbo s has bigger turbos. Thus the distinction. The base Carerra and S and GTS all share the 3.0. The base has smaller turbos and the S and GTS have the same turbos. The ECU in the S is the GTS 3.0, same turbos, detuned 30hp. Of course the GTS has suspension and brakes differentiations as well as other options etc that make it different. But as far as the engine goes, the S and GTS are only separated by Porsche’s tuning of an otherwise identical engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
dg108 (09-16-2023), rasetsu (09-16-2023), TimD (09-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)