Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here: T vs S

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 04:00 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Interesting to hear that the selling point of the T is the sum of its parts, but a GTS is just an S with 30HP more.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
adrianp89 (09-05-2023), kkevinqq (09-05-2023), slwong23 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 04:04 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
@90292_911 Agreed re PTS BY. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but PTS is not happening for any 2024 992 at this point. I wish it was untrue, but it isn’t.

@johnarpy You have Python Green, not PTS Viper Green. Python is NLA.
He can tell everyone it's PTS Viper Green until a Viper Green pulls up next to you.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:19 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Interesting to hear that the selling point of the T is the sum of its parts, but a GTS is just an S with 30HP more.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:02 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
90% of people notice a difference in torque far more than power, especially on the road and in a 992.
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. What people would notice is acceleration as that is what would impart a force for them to notice.

Whether you think of that acceleration as coming from the torque or as a rate of change of kinetic energy (power) doesn't seem relevant.

And since the gearboxes are the same across the carrera range, there is no such thing as more torque without more power. They aren't independent. I.e. any point in the rev range, if there is more torque, there is also more power.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 06:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
90% of people notice a difference in torque far more than power, especially on the road and in a 992.
Originally Posted by jhenson29
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. What people would notice is acceleration as that is what would impart a force for them to notice.

Whether you think of that acceleration as coming from the torque or as a rate of change of kinetic energy (power) doesn't seem relevant.

And since the gearboxes are the same across the carrera range, there is no such thing as more torque without more power. They aren't independent. I.e. any point in the rev range, if there is more torque, there is also more power.
I think you're missing aggie57's point.

And, if I may, I think aggie57 was a bit loose with his terminology. I think he meant horsepower, instead of just "power".

But regardless, without getting into automotive logomachy, the point is that even if two cars had the same amount of torque, when and how and that torque is delivered (i.e., its torque curve) will make a significant difference in driving experience for hoi polloi, if not everyone in general, including experienced drivers.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:10 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

And, if I may, I think aggie57 was a bit loose with his terminology. I think he meant horsepower, instead of just "power".

But regardless, without getting into automotive logomachy, the point is that even if two cars had the same amount of torque, when and how and that torque is delivered (i.e., its torque curve) will make a significant difference in driving experience for hoi polloi, if not everyone in general, including experienced drivers.
Yes, thank you for the correction .
Old 09-05-2023, 06:36 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Horsepower is just a unit of power. I don't understand your distinction.

And I understand torque curves. But there's a power curve with the equivalent information (i.e. either curve can be derived from the other; they aren't different pieces of information; that's not the same as saying torque and power are the same, so don't twist it that way TIA).

Yes, I agree, it's the curve that matters. But to talk about torque "over" power in that context makes no sense. Unless you are at zero rpm, torque doesn't exist in isolation. It exists at an rpm and has a specific power to go with it. And again, it even makes perfect sense to think of this acceleration force one feels as a rate of change of energy. But, you can also think of it as a force applied (torque). Either one. But not one over the other. That's the part that doesn't make sense.

Here's a post I made on the Taycan Forum last year explaining how you can approach 0-60 times (as an example) from either power or torque.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-3#post-160259

What is aggies point that I missed?
Old 09-05-2023, 06:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Horsepower is just a unit of power. I don't understand your distinction.

And I understand torque curves. But there's a power curve with the equivalent information (i.e. either curve can be derived from the other; they aren't different pieces of information; that's not the same as saying torque and power are the same, so don't twist it that way TIA).

Yes, I agree, it's the curve that matters. But to talk about torque "over" power in that context makes no sense. Unless you are at zero rpm, torque doesn't exist in isolation. It exists at an rpm and has a specific power to go with it. And again, it even makes perfect sense to think of this acceleration force one feels as a rate of change of energy. But, you can also think of it as a force applied (torque). Either one. But not one over the other. That's the part that doesn't make sense.

Here's a post I made on the Taycan Forum last year explaining how you can approach 0-60 times (as an example) from either power or torque.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-3#post-160259

What is aggies point that I missed?
My friend, I think we are speaking past each other.

I don't disagree with you that 0-60 times can be approached from either a pure horsepower or torque perspective.

That's really not what we (meaning, aggie57) and I are talking about).

It's more about how that power is delivered. If the torque curve basically peaks at 2k RPM, the car will feel faster than a car with a torque curve that peaks at 7k RPM, because unless you're on track or driving like a hoonigan you spend most of your life under 5k RPM. This is really why FI engined are so much better for daily commutes, even though no one here likes to admit it.

This is essentially the "butt dyno" at work.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-05-2023 at 06:59 PM.
aggie57 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:01 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

I don't disagree with you that 0-60 times can be approached from either a pure horsepower or torque perspective.

It's more about how that power is delivered. If the torque curve basically peaks at 2k RPM, the car will feel faster than a car with a torque curve that peaks at 7k RPM, because unless you're on track or driving like a hoonigan you spend most of your life under 5k RPM. This is really why FI engined are so much better for daily commutes, even though no one here likes to admit it.
And there's more power there too. So again, no reason for the distinction.

All I was originally saying is that all of the higher trim power can be used. Aggie replied that they feel torque more than power. I maintain that doesn't make sense because they aren't independent. You're free to disagree.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:28 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

This is essentially the "butt dyno" at work.
A torque curve can't peak at 7000 rpm. It can only peak at 5250 rpm. After that horespower is always more than torque.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:49 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
A torque curve can't peak at 7000 rpm. It can only peak at 5250 rpm. After that horespower is always more than torque.
The peak is the highest value on its own curve. It has nothing to do with comparing the two.
CanAutM3 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:50 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
And separately, torque and power are different measures. There’s no reason to compare their values to each other.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

And separately, torque and power are different measures. There’s no reason to compare their values to each other.
Though horsepower is a function of torque and RPM.

You can have two cars of equal hp, one with a lot of torque and the other delivering power through high RPM. The character of power delivery and the experience of driving those two cars will be different.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
aggie57 (09-05-2023), Staffie Guy (09-24-2023), TimD (09-10-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:20 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Though horsepower is a function of torque and RPM.

You can have two cars of equal hp, one with a lot of torque and the other delivering power through high RPM. The character of power delivery and the experience of driving those two cars will be different.
what I’m responding to is someone saying “horsepower is more than torque” at a particular rpm, which is a meaningless comparison.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:45 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 99 Posts

And there's more power there too. So again, no reason for the distinction.

All I was originally saying is that all of the higher trim power can be used. Aggie replied that they feel torque more than power. I maintain that doesn't make sense because they aren't independent. You're free to disagree.
You’re over complicating this. All Aggie is saying is that an engine like that in the GTS, with lower peak HP, will feel faster on the street than an engine like that in a GT3, with a higher peak HP, because the GTS engine’s peak torque comes at a lower RPM.
aggie57 (09-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Newbie here: T vs S