Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips - how much do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023 | 08:06 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
An unmentioned category belongs to folks like me who actually don’t want the grandma’s couch plastic look, regardless of the cost. Do what you need to do to feel special about how well you are taking care of your prized possession and sending your installers’ kids to private school.
I have seen PPF jobs at C&C and those over 3 years old look like absolute ****.
So, no. There is a consensus and most 911 drivers are not driving with plastic on.
lmao. This statement is patently absurd.

I have know idea what kind of PPF jobs some of you guys are seeing but these jobs must have been done by clowns. Properly done PPF jobs look amazing and people who have it done will never not have it done again.

I apologize if I sound offensive but this thread has become embarrassing.

“grandma’s plastic couch”. Unbelievable.
The following 6 users liked this post by Patton250:
993RUF (09-10-2023), Grimz (09-10-2023), rasetsu (09-10-2023), slwong23 (09-10-2023), txpackers (09-10-2023), UncleDude (09-10-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-09-2023 | 08:25 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

I can't tell you how many people just in the 3 weeks I've had my car have told me I have to lower my car and get ppf and wheels. I think it's just the basic Boi thing to do now. I think it's become mostly a flex like carbon ceramics. But hey it's your money. I'd rather put another Rolex on my wrist for the money cause it's a way better flex than a car condom.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheObsessed (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023 | 08:34 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I can't tell you how many people just in the 3 weeks I've had my car have told me I have to lower my car and get ppf and wheels. I think it's just the basic Boi thing to do now. I think it's become mostly a flex like carbon ceramics. But hey it's your money. I'd rather put another Rolex on my wrist for the money cause it's a way better flex than a car condom.
I think you must be 70 years old. My father used to say these exact same things about computers and cell phones. Lol flexing. Oh my God. This thread really has entered the ridiculous. Of course there’s a strong possibility you’re just trolling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
rasetsu (09-10-2023), slwong23 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023 | 08:43 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Ooh! ‘Car condom’ is even better than grandma’s plastic. Speaking of Rolex, I bought this around the same time I got the car, before the Omega market went nuts and the Limited Edition Omega Speedmaster surged 50% in value.

Should have gotten a ‘custom’ condom instead.

VarTheVar (09-09-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 08:33 AM
txpackers
Racer

Originally Posted by Patton250
lmao. This statement is patently absurd.

I have know idea what kind of PPF jobs some of you guys are seeing but these jobs must have been done by clowns. Properly done PPF jobs look amazing and people who have it done will never not have it done again.

I apologize if I sound offensive but this thread has become embarrassing.

“grandma’s plastic couch”. Unbelievable.
I’ve never understood this reference to plastic covered couches either. A plastic covered couch is obvious. A good PPF job is not obvious.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
AlterZgo (09-12-2023), rasetsu (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 11:36 AM
shelbyking
Banned

I have never seen a PPF job partial, full, or otherwise that was not obvious. They all seem to have kind of a cheesy shine to them. Maybe some people like that I don't.
Staffie Guy (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 02:18 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shelbyking
I have never seen a PPF job partial, full, or otherwise that was not obvious. They all seem to have kind of a cheesy shine to them. Maybe some people like that I don't.
Then, perhaps, your personal sample size isn't large enough?

I would agree that a bad PPF job (and there are plenty) looks terrible and a few stone chips is likely better than a bad PPF job from an aesthetic standpoint.

But, IMO, a good PPF job is very hard to tell even up close and does provide significant protection for the paint. I had a truck tire fragment hit my front lip and hood at 70 mph and the PPF absorbed everything. It hit hard enough to displace the front lip.

Plus, today's PPF is significantly better than PPF from 10 years ago in terms of clarity, self-healing, adhesive, etc.

No right or wrong answers, but IMO, a good PPF job and ceramic coating makes the car look and stay looking great.
The following 2 users liked this post by alin2:
rasetsu (09-10-2023), txpackers (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 03:33 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

How about a watch and a custom car condom? Good thing you saved your pennies and were able to buy the watch instead. Always fun on an enthusiast forum when anonymous people try to belittle other anonymous people for their choices.

If you don’t care for ppf, don’t get it. Simple.
alin2 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 03:57 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Originally Posted by slwong23
How about a watch and a custom car condom? Good thing you saved your pennies and were able to buy the watch instead. Always fun on an enthusiast forum when anonymous people try to belittle other anonymous people for their choices.

If you don’t care for ppf, don’t get it. Simple.
Meet my car, slwong23.

Have you ever seen an Aventurine Green under sunlight? All the advancements in automotive paint come to light at the same time while the metallic sheen wakes up and slaps you in the face.
Why on earth would I cover up that kind of paint? PPF kills the metallic brilliance. I’ve seen it.
I'll take the PPF money and send it to an animal shelter.
Old 09-10-2023 | 04:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Gotta love the haters with their condom and plastic covered couch references. Either their cars are full of rock chips in the front or they don't drive their cars as intended; maybe they have them sitting in garages under car covers or maybe they have delicate feet. Anyone who has driven 911s for a while knows very well these cars are rock chip magnets due to their low ride height and bullet-like design. When driven often and hard, it is impossible for them not to accumulate road rash in the front fascia, hood, fenders, headlamps, windshield and rear fender wells... at least. I've seen cars with rock chips in the roof, doors, and even the wing on GT cars. For people who buy these cars to drive them as intended and don't want their cars to look like Hank Moody's neglected girl, PPF and windshield protection film is the only way.
txpackers (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 04:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Why on earth would I cover up that kind of paint? PPF kills the metallic brilliance. I’ve seen it.
Aventurine is gorgeous, especially the newer version vs the 993 version. However, I have to disagree with you. PPF can actually enhance brilliance and provide a caramel-like finish by reducing the appearance of factory orange peel.
jbl16 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 04:25 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Have you ever seen an Aventurine Green under sunlight? All the advancements in automotive paint come to light at the same time while the metallic sheen wakes up and slaps you in the face.
I'll take the PPF money and send it to an animal shelter.
Beautiful car!

However, I disagree re: PPF "killing" metallic brilliance. I have ice grey metallic which has an incredible amount of metallic flake and have super hard time seeing any difference between the area covered with STEK film and the uncovered areas.

In fact, happy to post pics and see if you can see and tell the difference...although I'm not sure low res jpegs will be enough detail.

Last edited by alin2; 09-10-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2023 | 06:02 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Is this argument ever going to have a 'winner'? I seriously doubt it.
Old 09-10-2023 | 06:21 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
The winner is the shop owner with a GED, clearing the same amount as a cardiologist.
The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheObsessed:
aggie57 (09-10-2023), shelbyking (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 06:53 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
the winners are the ones that don’t care about other people’s opinions on the matter.

I have PPF. I don’t care if others do or don’t or their opinion of my car or my choices.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips - how much do you care?