992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips - how much do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023 | 03:56 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Went to drive my car for the first time in a week today, and I see my wife decided to scrape the rear bumper with a bike pedal yesterday.

PPF isn't just for stones.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Patton250 (08-31-2023), Wilder (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023 | 03:59 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brownan
Let's keep this going. I want to hear more deep insights from that lobbyist for the PPF Manufacturers Association of America.
What would you like to know? I can’t tell you how baffled I am concerning the amount of lack of knowledge here about this upgrade. I totally understand the lack of knowledge about counter measures but protecting high-end luxury cars? Baffling. I guess I’m going to have to chalk it up to pride and/in old age as to the reason so many people here know so little about this subject and more importantly, speak untruths openly about it. Must be pride.
Old 08-31-2023 | 03:59 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Went to drive my car for the first time in a week today, and I see my wife decided to scrape the rear bumper with a bike pedal yesterday.

Oh crap. Sorry man.
Old 08-31-2023 | 04:07 PM
Budman1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emosgarage
I have one rock chip, which I got on my way to the shop to get PPF put on….ironic. Anyway, I think for the 911 the rear “hips” are actually the most prone place to rock chips, and the best place to have protected. If you ever had to respray that section (on both sides), it would be a lot more expensive than just a bumper…. also, it’s not just about a chip here or there…. that area can look almost sandblasted with micro-chips….

The hips really benefit from ppf (better coverage than factory stone guards). We are very careful driving ours and yet the hip area ppf has already absorbed a huge amount of rock/stone damage. Would hate to think of the paint damage that would be there without ppf.
Old 08-31-2023 | 04:30 PM
renn.tp
Racer

The stages of car OCD:

1. Cleans car at touch-less / hand car wash
2. Cleans car at detail shop or with at home pressure washing setup / two buckets
2a. Discovers ceramic coating
3. Paint correction and ceramic coating is “a must”
4. PPF on high impact areas, following paint correction and topped with ceramic, of course
4a. PPF on whole car, ceramic coating on everything including brake calipers and door jambs (iT mAkEs wAsHiNg eSiEr bRo)
5. Car detailing/washing nirvana
5a. Starts stressing about chips on AC condensers due to sport design front bumper, considered buying new condensers and adding radiator grills post install

I’m currently at 5a - we’ll see what comes next…
The following 4 users liked this post by renn.tp:
AlterZgo (09-12-2023), Icegrill (05-13-2024), Jkb545 (02-15-2024), PorscheObsessed (09-09-2023)
Old 08-31-2023 | 04:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Similar thing happened when an employee used my Macan. Looked terrible. Removed PPF and zero damage.
Old 08-31-2023 | 05:06 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
Similar thing happened when an employee used my Macan. Looked terrible. Removed PPF and zero damage.
Oh man. And you can't do anything to the employee. Can you dock his pay til it's paid for? Hahaha.
Old 08-31-2023 | 05:17 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Patton250
Oh crap. Sorry man.
On one hand I'm annoyed, but on the other hand, that's why I paid to have it done.

I'll let it bake in the sun this weekend, and hopefully it self-heals.
Old 08-31-2023 | 05:21 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renn.tp
The stages of car OCD:

1. Cleans car at touch-less / hand car wash
2. Cleans car at detail shop or with at home pressure washing setup / two buckets
2a. Discovers ceramic coating
3. Paint correction and ceramic coating is “a must”
4. PPF on high impact areas, following paint correction and topped with ceramic, of course
4a. PPF on whole car, ceramic coating on everything including brake calipers and door jambs (iT mAkEs wAsHiNg eSiEr bRo)
5. Car detailing/washing nirvana
5a. Starts stressing about chips on AC condensers due to sport design front bumper, considered buying new condensers and adding radiator grills post install

I’m currently at 5a - we’ll see what comes next…

This is the correct list, but in the reverse order. You should stress less and less about the car over time and just enjoy driving it. I seriously considered getting PPF but decided it's just not in the right mindset. Keeping the car perfect is a horrible undertaking.

I took mine out to the canyons last weekend and followed my friend's GT3 a bit too close and heard some rocks hitting the windshield. I backed off a bit but kept driving and enjoying myself. Then I got home and realized the car needs camber plates and a DSC controller more than it needs to stay having the original windshield or perfect paint forever.
Old 08-31-2023 | 09:02 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Cringe....are you sure it didn't permeate the PPF
Old 08-31-2023 | 10:41 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Cringe....are you sure it didn't permeate the PPF
I rubbed off the white marking, but you can feel it when you do the fingernail test. I opted for the 10mil XPEL film. I’ve heard the self healing is only for like the first 2 mil.
The following users liked this post:
Autobacs (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023 | 11:54 PM
vasmir
Advanced

Originally Posted by Autobacs
1. How extensive are your paint chips so far?
2. Do you care or does is really bother you?
3. Do you know if certain shops are masters at fixing these? If you have any before or after or can share what techniques they use that would be super helpful...
No ppf on my 10yr owned 1M, and after 50k miles and a bunch of track days it received a ton of rock chips on the hood, front/side fenders, and front bumper. The hood and fenders were super easy to fix using Dr ColorChip, they look basically like new.
The plastic bumper on the other hand, because the rocks nick the plastic work and cause a bit of deformation, never quite look like new again.
At the end of the day while I take a ton of pride in keeping the car looking good, it is just a car and I plan on using it like one.
No ppf on the 992T.
The following users liked this post:
shelbyking (09-09-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 12:00 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Originally Posted by vasmir
No ppf on my 10yr owned 1M, and after 50k miles and a bunch of track days it received a ton of rock chips on the hood, front/side fenders, and front bumper. The hood and fenders were super easy to fix using Dr ColorChip, they look basically like new.
The plastic bumper on the other hand, because the rocks nick the plastic work and cause a bit of deformation, never quite look like new again.
At the end of the day while I take a ton of pride in keeping the car looking good, it is just a car and I plan on using it like one.
No ppf on the 992T.
Amen
are you just going to get it resprayed when the time comes?

Last edited by Autobacs; 09-01-2023 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2023 | 12:43 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vasmir
No ppf on the 992T.
Oh man, nobody told me I can’t use my car like a car after the PPF is put on. Silly me, I’ve been driving it.

So, what are my options for use after the PPF is on? Can I maybe use it as a salad bowl?
The following 3 users liked this post by jhenson29:
Fishah (09-01-2023), rasetsu (09-01-2023), vasmir (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 01:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Oh man. And you can't do anything to the employee. Can you dock his pay til it's paid for? Hahaha.
It was just the front fascia and an honest mistake. Not a big deal. She was very sorry.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips - how much do you care?