992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips - how much do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023 | 02:53 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

You know how some people can be outside all day in a forest and never get bit?

My car is literally the opposite of that. It makes no damn sense either because I'm careful of where and how I drive.
Old 08-30-2023 | 03:22 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Patton250
Well, I’ve met dozens and dozens of people that people have their car PPF’d and I’ve never heard reason 4. Never. Now I suppose if I spoke to thousands of people I could find someone that says they don’t think PPF looks good on a car but like I said I’ve never heard that personally. So let’s add reason number 4 to the list. “I don’t like the look.”
was that so difficult?
---- EDIT -----

We are having a discussion here about PPF. I have not intentionally sounded superior. I’ve given my opinions. I have a lot of experience with PPF and ceramic coating as well as know a lot of people that have a lot of experience with PPF and ceramic coating. It’s really that simple. If you somehow feel slighted or offended by something I wrote I’m sorry for you. That’s certainly not my intention.
no, you can disagree w/ me all you want. the d-bag attitude comes when you are condescending to others in doing so. Repeatedly. Someone saying they don't want to pay for it doesn't mean "they can't afford it", but you went to that. I don't know how you got "uneducated" but again, condescending.

I expanded my reason to show how a simple "don't like the vinyl look" can turn condescending - by comparing it to plastic covered furniture (low class, cheap, something people here would take offense to). That was on purpose to make a point. which went way over your head apparently. But i'm not going to go and make conclusions about your education or intelligence. THAT would be douche bag behavior. Maybe you can now see the difference.

so how about just accepting that people have different tastes and value formulas for where they want to put their money, and understanding that that doesnt make them, poor, cheap, or stupid.

EDIT: I do want to add that, i'm not personally slighted or offended. I just thought you were being rude which was counter productive to the forum's purpose, and sometimes, i get annoyed by that so i'll call someone out on it. So if you were not intending to be condescending, take this as constructive feedback on how you unintentionally came across

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-12-2023 at 11:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by achilleas101:
aggie57 (08-30-2023), SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 03:24 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by shrimp money
You know how some people can be outside all day in a forest and never get bit?

My car is literally the opposite of that. It makes no damn sense either because I'm careful of where and how I drive.
i'm like your car. I step outside and if there's a mosquito within 1000ft it finds me. I'll get 4 bites walking to the mailbox during the summer.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 03:31 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

I remember vividly in the 1990s when my father refused to get on board with computers since he was always used to having a secretary and being able to dictate on a recording and have her type it up for him. Some people just call advancement through new and better technology, nonsense. Hence, my reason number 3 for some people not getting PPF.
Back in the early 80's I was working at IBM in the UK, on a project developing the 1st POS system for Tesco. It was fun, the team was largely recruited directly from Cambridge University and knew how to have fun while innovating. Nothing to do with PPF of course but you're right, some people can't see the wood for the trees.
Patton250 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 03:41 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achilleas101
was that so difficult?

no, you can disagree w/ me all you want. the d-bag attitude comes when you are condescending to others in doing so. Repeatedly. Someone saying they don't want to pay for it doesn't mean "they can't afford it", but you went to that. I don't know how you got "uneducated" but again, condescending.

I expanded my reason to show how a simple "don't like the vinyl look" can turn condescending - by comparing it to plastic covered furniture (low class, cheap, something people here would take offense to). That was on purpose to make a point. which went way over your head apparently. But i'm not going to go and make conclusions about your education or intelligence. THAT would be douche bag behavior. Maybe you can now see the difference.

so how about just accepting that people have different tastes and value formulas for where they want to put their money, and understanding that that doesnt make them, poor, cheap, or stupid.
I never accused you or anyone here of not being able to afford it. I highly doubt that most people here have financial issues with it.. I think the biggest challenge here is lack of knowledge about PPF and or not really caring if their car gets scratched up or rock chips. I’m sticking with that. As far as you thinking it looks like plastic covered furniture, something we obviously had to deal with in 1970s lol (I’m 53) I just don’t understand it. I’ve seen hundreds of cars with PPF and not one of them looked that way in my opinion. I have never seen or heard an owner of a car that had PPF describe it that way either but to each their own.. I think what you don’t like about me is I’m calling BS on people that really don’t know much about it, but speak against it. Some people on forums do the same thing when it comes to Radar Detectors/ laser jammers and other countermeasures as well as tuning cars. People just come on those threads, talk a bunch of **** that they don’t know what they’re talking about, and even worse they negatively influence others who are genuinely trying to find out information. So if I come off as condescending that’s the reason why. I personally try not to talk about things I’m ignorant on. PPF is not one of them. There are all kinds of great threads on this forum that I read and they are discussing things I’ve never done before and have no idea about. I suppose I could jump on there and give my opinion about things, but since I have no experience with that, I don’t. I hope this helps clarify where I’m coming from. I certainly don’t want to offend anyone here. I think for the most part, outside of a handful of super elitists, this place is pretty awesome. So I apologize if you took anything personally.

The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
rasetsu (08-31-2023), shrimp money (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:13 PM
achilleas101
Racer

I never accused you or anyone here of not being able to afford it. I highly doubt that most people here have financial issues with it..
Uhhhh you did it twice:
No…. There most definitely is a consensus. It’s very rare that I find someone that thinks PPF is a bad idea and when I do find someone like that, they fall into one of two categories. The first one is they are broke and can’t afford it and the second one is that they could really give a crap if their car gets rock damage because they’ll just replace it any year anyway. Now granted there are a lot of second category people on this forum but they certainly don’t speak for the majority of car owners. We can thank God for that.
While I appreciate sarcasm, I’m afraid I already have a full-time, sarcastic smart *** in my life. You won’t be able to replace my wife. Sorry.

Having said that the reasons I stated for not getting PPF are just common sense. Let me a list them out for you. No PhD needed.

1. Can’t afford it.
2. Don’t give a crap.
3. Uneducated about it.

If you would care to add to this list, let’s hear it. That’s what this thread is all about anyway.
So don't know what to tell you... maybe just be more aware of how you come across. . Now as to the rest of this message...

I think the biggest challenge here is lack of knowledge about PPF and or not really caring if their car gets scratched up or rock chips. I’m sticking with that. As far as you thinking it looks like plastic covered furniture, something we obviously had to deal with in 1970s lol (I’m 53) I just don’t understand it. I’ve seen hundreds of cars with PPF and not one of them looked that way in my opinion. I have never seen or heard an owner of a car that had PPF describe it that way either but to each their own.. I think what you don’t like about me is I’m calling BS on people that really don’t know much about it, but speak against it. Some people on forums do the same thing when it comes to Radar Detectors/ laser jammers and other countermeasures as well as tuning cars. People just come on those threads, talk a bunch of **** that they don’t know what they’re talking about, and even worse they negatively influence others who are genuinely trying to find out information. So if I come off as condescending that’s the reason why. I personally try not to talk about things I’m ignorant on. PPF is not one of them. There are all kinds of great threads on this forum that I read and they are discussing things I’ve never done before and have no idea about. I suppose I could jump on there and give my opinion about things, but since I have no experience with that, I don’t. I hope this helps clarify where I’m coming from. I certainly don’t want to offend anyone here. I think for the most part, outside of a handful of super elitists, this place is pretty awesome. So I apologize if you took anything personally.
i get why you'd have the above stance on people not knowing about PPF. (and FWIW, calling BS on people is something i welcome) I don't know how many of the people you meet have had it on their cars for over 4 or 5 years though. But i know a guy (personal friend) who does PPF installs. He is f*cking amazing at his job. you can't tell it's even on there when he installs it. No seams, no exposed edges. In talking with him, he even agreed with me that after 4 or 5 years, the self healing is basically shot, and if you plan on having the car for longer than that, plan on having the ppf redone if you don't want it to look weathered. So, i don't know.. maybe new films will last better, but hard to say until they hit that longer term life.

Last edited by achilleas101; 08-30-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:15 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Uhhhh you did it twice:

So don't know what to tell you... maybe just be more aware of how you come across. . Now as to the rest of this message...

i get why you'd have the above stance on people not knowing about PPF. I don't know how many of the people you meet have had it on their cars for over 4 or 5 years though. But i know a guy who does PPF installs. He is f*cking amazing at his job. you can't tell it's even on there when he installs it. No seams, no exposed edges. In talking with him, he even agreed with me that after 4 or 5 years, the self healing is basically shot, and if you plan on having the car for longer than that, plan on having the ppf redone if you don't want it to look weathered. So, i don't know.. maybe new films will last better, but hard to say until they hit that longer term life.
I gave you my reasons why people in general don’t do it. That doesn’t mean people here don’t do it because they can’t afford it. Please understand the difference. I won’t accuse you of spinning my words because you misunderstood me. Let’s just say you in fact misunderstood me. However, there definitely are people that can’t afford it. I doubt very seriously you’re going to argue with me about that. They also hide that as a reason why they’re against it. I’ve caught people on other forums doing just that.

Last edited by Patton250; 08-30-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:21 PM
achilleas101
Racer

I gave you my reasons why people in general don’t do it. That doesn’t mean people here don’t do it because they can’t afford it. Please understand the difference. I won’t accuse you of spinning my words because you misunderstood me. Let’s just say you in fact misunderstood me. However, there definitely are people that can’t afford it. I doubt very seriously you’re going to argue with me about that. They also hide that as a reason why they’re against it. I’ve caught people on other forums doing just that.
ok, that's a distinction i didn't catch when reading your messages. i interpreted it as a general statement that also applied to anyone here that would be against it.

So then you can safely say i misunderstood you. so for that, i apologize myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by achilleas101:
gobie18 (08-17-2024), Patton250 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:25 PM
911dude41
Drifting

To me, stone chips are the worst part of 911 ownership. These cars are the most powerful stone magnets man has created. They're inevitable, especially in the southwest USA.

PPF, PPF, PPF. At the very least the front clip. Out here, even PPF will get chewed up and the chips will still make their way through.
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:27 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

ok, that's a distinction i didn't catch when reading your messages. i interpreted it as a general statement that also applied to anyone here that would be against it.

So then you can safely say i misunderstood you. so for that, i apologize myself.
Rereading what I wrote I definitely could’ve written it better. I can understand why there was confusion. I apologize as well.
achilleas101 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 06:16 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

While I appreciate sarcasm, I’m afraid I already have a full-time, sarcastic smart *** in my life. You won’t be able to replace my wife. Sorry.

Having said that the reasons I stated for not getting PPF are just common sense. Let me a list them out for you. No PhD needed.

1. Can’t afford it.
2. Don’t give a crap.
3. Uneducated about it.

If you would care to add to this list, let’s hear it. That’s what this thread is all about anyway.
I don't like how PFF ages, I don't like dirt by the seams for those who do not get it tucked, and not all jobs are done correctly.

Patton250 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 06:21 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I don't like how PFF ages, I don't like dirt by the seams for those who do not get it tucked, and not all jobs are done correctly.
If it’s done properly, neither of those two things will happen. However, if it’s not done properly, I completely agree with you.

Reputable, PPF installers warranty their work well beyond the length of time most people own there vehicle.
Old 08-30-2023 | 06:46 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

One of the underrated benefits of PPF is the gloss that’s almost always there, including between washes.
Old 08-30-2023 | 06:56 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I didn't get PPF because I was concerned that the paint might get stuck and peel to the adhesive. Also I saw some installers inadvertently cut through some of the rubber seals as they cut through the PPF to take the excess off.
That said, the longer I drive the car, I'm expecting to get some rock chips. I have a couple of small ones that I've covered with some dabs of touch up. You can't tell too much.

Questions:
1. How extensive are your paint chips so far?
2. Do you care or does is really bother you?
3. Do you know if certain shops are masters at fixing these? If you have any before or after or can share what techniques they use that would be super helpful

Thanks
I care but not enough to wrap my car in plastic.
gargey (04-12-2024)
Old 08-31-2023 | 03:53 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Deleted

Last edited by brownan; 08-31-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips - how much do you care?