992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips - how much do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023 | 10:54 AM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

I have a couple of rock chips after about 4,000 miles of driving, mostly highway commuting. One is on the bottom of the hood, the other on the backside of a front fender. I also have a penetration in my PPF (only on extended rockers/rear fender). My car is plain white so at some point I'll have the rock chips professionally touched up. The chips are few for now and I don't see them unless I'm close to the car and looking for them. I decided against the full front PPF since I had a penetration in my previous car within 10,000 miles. The penetration looked worse than a rock chip and would have been more expensive to deal with.
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:02 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

PPF or not is a personal decision. I have some cars with it, some without. My 997.2 RS had the hood and other bits covered, but guess what, after 26k and 80 track days it has a bunch of chips as well as a second (or third?) windshield. Which car is my favorite? That one, the one with the chips and the convex ding in the quarter panel.
The following users liked this post:
SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:05 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

no ppf, daily driver. had this one 7 months and 14k miles. got a window chip a few weeks in. patched that up with a kit i carry. still catches the right light. i don't think i have any rock chips in the paint, haven't looked.

i was going to get ppf. then the guy said it would take 3 or 4 days. frankly, i couldn't be bothered to take it over, drop off, get a ride.

not old by any stretch but at this point in my life i SIMPLY. DON'T. CARE. car looks awesome, drives fantastic.

oh, was behind a subie in the rain. something flew up and hit the hood. left a little mark. i buffed it out with some spit and my finger. forgot about that until now.

you do you
The following 3 users liked this post by dudeoverthere:
BadlyDrawnBoy (09-02-2023), lawrence1 (09-05-2023), timjab (09-02-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:45 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patton250
No…. There most definitely is a consensus. It’s very rare that I find someone that thinks PPF is a bad idea and when I do find someone like that, they fall into one of two categories. The first one is they are broke and can’t afford it and the second one is that they could really give a crap if their car gets rock damage because they’ll just replace it any year anyway. Now granted there are a lot of second category people on this forum but they certainly don’t speak for the majority of car owners. We can thank God for that.
Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
no ppf, daily driver. had this one 7 months and 14k miles. got a window chip a few weeks in. patched that up with a kit i carry. still catches the right light. i don't think i have any rock chips in the paint, haven't looked.

i was going to get ppf. then the guy said it would take 3 or 4 days. frankly, i couldn't be bothered to take it over, drop off, get a ride.

not old by any stretch but at this point in my life i SIMPLY. DON'T. CARE. car looks awesome, drives fantastic.

oh, was behind a subie in the rain. something flew up and hit the hood. left a little mark. i buffed it out with some spit and my finger. forgot about that until now.

you do you
There see how easy this is? You fall in the category number two. It’s always category one or category two. Once in a while people are just very uneducated about PPF and I get that but that is pretty rare for people who buy 100K plus cars.
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:45 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Brother, you can get a rock chip while driving 2 miles to the grocery store. Ask me how I know.

Wouldn’t take it for free. Yeah ok.

you must fit into one of my two categories I brought up above. Either that or you were just incredibly uninformed on what PPF is, and does.
Hey I spent over 150K for the car, another 5K ain't making a difference if I thought I wanted/needed PPF. What is so hard to understand.

SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:49 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Hey I spent over 150K for the car, another 5K ain't making a difference if I thought I wanted/needed PPF. What is so hard to understand.
it’s not hard to understand at all. I explained the two reasons why people don’t do PPF. With the occasional third reason, but as I said, that’s rare.
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:58 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

it’s not hard to understand at all. I explained the two reasons why people don’t do PPF. With the occasional third reason, but as I said, that’s rare.
I forgot you explained it. I guess you are the final word on the subject.

Patton250, PHD
PPF Science
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
lawrence1 (09-05-2023), SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 12:06 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I forgot you explained it. I guess you are the final word on the subject.

Patton250, PHD
PPF Science
While I appreciate sarcasm, I’m afraid I already have a full-time, sarcastic smart *** in my life. You won’t be able to replace my wife. Sorry.

Having said that the reasons I stated for not getting PPF are just common sense. Let me a list them out for you. No PhD needed.

1. Can’t afford it.
2. Don’t give a crap.
3. Uneducated about it.

If you would care to add to this list, let’s hear it. That’s what this thread is all about anyway.

Last edited by Patton250; 08-30-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2023 | 12:19 PM
achilleas101
Racer

While I appreciate sarcasm, I’m afraid I already have a full-time, sarcastic smart *** in my life. You won’t be able to replace my wife. Sorry.

Having said that the reasons I stated for not getting PPF are just common sense. Let me a list them out for you. No PhD needed.

1. Can’t afford it.
2. Don’t give a crap.
3. Uneducated about it.

If you would care to add to this list, let’s hear it. That’s what this thread is all about anyway.
a couple of us have chimed in for #4, we dont like the look and feel after a while. Personal preferencre. Just because YOU dont understand how that could be, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Get a grip. People have have different tastes and likes.

For the life of me, i dont get some of the color choices people make. I dont like them. But i get different strokes for different folks. Just like, i dont get why car people want a car covered in vinyl in order to protect the paint. Why bother having paint? Just put a plastic coating on it. Just like a couch covered in plastic. Personally I prefer to see and feel the actual material. But sure, some prefer to protect the look regardless. Different strokes.

Quit trying to make yourself sound superior. "other people dont care or can't afford, or uneducated... " please. You're coming off like giant dbag.

Last edited by achilleas101; 08-30-2023 at 12:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by achilleas101:
porschedood5000 (09-01-2023), SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 12:29 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achilleas101
a couple of us have chimed in for #4, we dont like the look and feel after a while. Personal preferencre. Just because YOU dont understand how that could be, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Get a grip. People have have different tastes and likes.

For the life of me, i dont get some of the color choices people make. I dont like them. But i get different strokes for different folks. Just like, i dont get why car people want a car covered in vinyl in order to protect the paint. Why bother having paint? Just put a plastic coating on it. Just like a couch covered in plastic. Personally I prefer to see and feel the actual material. But sure, some prefer to protect the look regardless. Different strokes.

Quit trying to make yourself sound superior. "other people dont care or can't afford, or uneducated... " please. You're coming off like giant dbag.
Well, I’ve met dozens and dozens of people that people have their car PPF’d and I’ve never heard reason 4. Never. Now I suppose if I spoke to thousands of people I could find someone that says they don’t think PPF looks good on a car but like I said I’ve never heard that personally. So let’s add reason number 4 to the list. “I don’t like the look.”

---- EDIT ----

We are having a discussion here about PPF. I have not intentionally sounded superior. I’ve given my opinions. I have a lot of experience with PPF and ceramic coating as well as know a lot of people that have a lot of experience with PPF and ceramic coating. It’s really that simple. If you somehow feel slighted or offended by something I wrote I’m sorry for you. That’s certainly not my intention.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-12-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: No personal attacks
Old 08-30-2023 | 01:29 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Autobacs
1. How extensive are your paint chips so far?
Zero. Full PPF from day one.

2. Do you care or does is really bother you?
Yes I do care and yet it does bother me. Knowing all 911s are subject to road rash and paint chips, I got the whole car done. I want to drive the car without care. PPF is the only way.

3. Do you know if certain shops are masters at fixing these? If you have any before or after or can share what techniques they use that would be super helpful
Old 08-30-2023 | 01:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

No…. There most definitely is a consensus. It’s very rare that I find someone that thinks PPF is a bad idea and when I do find someone like that, they fall into one of two categories. The first one is they are broke and can’t afford it and the second one is that they could really give a crap if their car gets rock damage because they’ll just replace it any year anyway. Now granted there are a lot of second category people on this forum but they certainly don’t speak for the majority of car owners. We can thank God for that.
What nonsense.

3 years and 18,000 well used miles, no PPF and yes I have a couple of very small chips but nothing that a little judicious touch up paint won't handle - and which you really have to hunt to find. But if you feel better with it then go for it.

Last edited by aggie57; 08-30-2023 at 01:55 PM.
SAlexander (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 01:57 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
What nonsense.
What a magnificent, detailed and thought out response.

You are most definitely reason number 3.
Old 08-30-2023 | 02:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

What a magnificent, detailed and thought out response.

You are most definitely reason number 3.
Thank you. I agree, it was succinct and to the point.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
achilleas101 (08-30-2023), Staffie Guy (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023 | 02:42 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Thank you. I agree, it was succinct and to the point.
I remember vividly in the 1990s when my father refused to get on board with computers since he was always used to having a secretary and being able to dictate on a recording and have her type it up for him. Some people just call advancement through new and better technology, nonsense. Hence, my reason number 3 for some people not getting PPF.

Last edited by Patton250; 08-30-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips - how much do you care?