Sponsored by:

992 base 6s 60-130

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 06:05 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by baldwinflyer
you did not tell me why you think this, what you stated is internet knowledge, except track times have A LOT to do with power to weight.

So tell me why a 992 base that weighs a lot less than a TTS, wearing the same rubber will be so horrible to turn compare to that TTS? Tell me what components the TTS has that will greatly make up for its extra 300-400lbs and be noticed when it comes to its handling ability. Spring rate and even CCB vs the weight savings is a toss up. AWD is questionable at best when it comes to best handling. Not to mention you will never be able to approach even 8/10th on the street and most wont even be able to extract that on track.
TTS items that will add weight over base:
larger: wheels, rotors, brakes. I suspect this trio is most of it.
Rear wheel steering
larger speaker magnets assuming the base Carrera has the base stereo.
Four-wheel-drive
helper springs
Probably also some other things that I'm not thinking of at the moment.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:16 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
larger: wheels, rotors, brakes. I suspect this trio is most of it.
Wheels on TTS (and GTS) are forged; all the base/S options are cast. Likely a wash or better.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:19 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Wheels on TTS (and GTS) are forged; all the base/S options are cast. Likely a wash or better.
Uhm, what? You can option forged wheels like the exclusive design monoblock forged wheels on any trim level. What are you talking about. Not even sure if the standard wheel on GTS/TTS is forged, too lazy to look it up,
Old 08-29-2023, 06:26 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Uhm, what? You can option forged wheels like the exclusive design monoblock forged wheels on any trim level.
I stand corrected. The ED wheel is indeed described as "forged".

Originally Posted by Tobeit
What are you talking about. Not even sure if the standard wheel on GTS/TTS is forged, too lazy to look it up.
The GTS/TTS are forged -- they're described as "Forged light alloy wheels with central locking". That's precisely what I'm talking about.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:34 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I stand corrected. The ED wheel is indeed described as "forged".

The GTS/TTS are forged -- they're described as "Forged light alloy wheels with central locking". That's precisely what I'm talking about.
The ED wheels are not just described as forged but actually real forged monoblock - pretty light and strong. I guess that and the design makes it the wheel of choice for SC and S/T models.

On the Turbo/GTS - only the Turbo wheels are forged, the RS spyder or classics that are alaos available are not.

So, in summary, you can have forged wheels on any model ...and you can choose to have standard alloy/cast wheels on any mode too, ooo
Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Exciting stuff. I recently got a T and I'm enjoying wringing it out with stock power but at some point I may want more. Can you discern more lag with either the larger turbos and/or the tune compared to stock?
Also, your car looks great but dropping a bit of unsprung weight with lighter wheels may not be a bad idea.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:16 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

The wheels are a bit of a "red herring"... the rotors and the calipers are where there is a significant weight difference where it matters: unsprung.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:58 AM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

You are a man after my own heart, someone who can appreciate value for money.

I am very impressed with your results.

I have a very similar car, no options. I love it.

With the turbos, exhaust and the tuning, how much do you think a sensible budget would be to obtain what you have achieved? $20k?
Old 08-30-2023, 06:36 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
The wheels are a bit of a "red herring"... the rotors and the calipers are where there is a significant weight difference where it matters: unsprung.
Sorry but no. Swapping to lighter wheels is always felt instantly, even in heavy cars like my 4,200lb Macan. Base Carrera already has light (small) calipers and rotors that work very well. Obviously the closer the weight loss to the axel the higher its efficiency but that doesn't make wheels or even tires a "red herring".
Old 08-30-2023, 09:31 AM
ImpeachS
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Yes, I just realized that you're also in Doylestown. I live in the borough. It is a small world.
Photo of your car so that I can wave when I see you around? My Targa is hard to miss.
Also in the lower Bucks area. Just got an allocation and placed an order at Warrington (after a two year wait on the waiting list of four other dealers............) for a 2024 Cabriolet 4S due in November. Ryan and Chris were great.

Say hello if you see a Cab 4S in Aventurine Green with Truffle seats.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:38 PM
baldwinflyer
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
You are a man after my own heart, someone who can appreciate value for money.

I am very impressed with your results.

I have a very similar car, no options. I love it.

With the turbos, exhaust and the tuning, how much do you think a sensible budget would be to obtain what you have achieved? $20k?

Shot you a PM on the cost, its much less
The following users liked this post:
politeperson (09-04-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 04:43 PM
baldwinflyer
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpeachS
Also in the lower Bucks area. Just got an allocation and placed an order at Warrington (after a two year wait on the waiting list of four other dealers............) for a 2024 Cabriolet 4S due in November. Ryan and Chris were great.

Say hello if you see a Cab 4S in Aventurine Green with Truffle seats.
I ended up getting from from Porsche Delaware as no one had any available up here.

Warrington is a pretty great dealer, the service staff is great with modified cars.

Congrats I'm sure I'll see you around.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:31 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

That's the beauty of what Porsche has done in going twin turbo on all the non-GT cars. Porsche has even over spec'd the stock fuel system on the 3.0L engines to the point that they can deliver enough fuel for E85 tunes. That allows these motors to run significantly more aggressive timing and boost. I think M Engineering has the 3.0L hitting around 600whp on E85. Considering the weight difference without the AWD, 4WS, etc the "stripper" base 992's can be the ultimate sleepers, running 5-6s 60-130 and high 9/low 10s quarter miles. That would be very frustrating and embarrassing to other exotic owners to get pulled on by.

Last edited by eclou; 09-03-2023 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:56 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

A 911 is not a “sleeper”
Old 09-03-2023, 07:15 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
A 911 is not a “sleeper”
lol not in the traditional sense, but the F488 driver isn't expecting the base 992 next to him to pull on him when the traffic opens up

Quick Reply: 992 base 6s 60-130