Sponsored by:

3100 miles in 3 days in a 992t

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 01:51 AM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 3100 miles in 3 days in a 992t

Finally got my hands on a T thanks to Porsche North Olmsted. My build was a 142k sticker, gt silver, ras, lift, leather t, 18- ways ect ect.

I had a beautiful 992 gt3 touring I ordered pts Pantone blue, however the market allowed me to trade that car for a car I had been seeking for years.

so I was very skeptical about a non gt or turbo car as every Porsche that’s been water cooled I have owned has been one or the other…

This was my first porsche with 18-ways. Oh my, I will never order buckets again, not even in a rs. I recently did the smokies gt event last spring and drove 8 hours home in buckets…. Horrible experience for my *** and I’m 150lbs. This trip I drove 15 hours a day and besides shifting my butt a bit I never had any issues. In fact when I arrived at my destination I had no problems running a quick 5 mile workout that was after 1100 miles and 16 hours straight.

I do not care what anyone has to say, if I’m tracking a “street” car 18-ways can grip me as tight as porsche road buckets. Except the 18ways are 100000% better. I will say my 997 buckets are very comfy.

moving on. We took a “long way” from pa to ca. started the journey with 400 miles on the car. We drove through some interesting places stuck mainly to 2 lane highways through Wyoming, hit the salt flats in Utah. Had a great time seeing the Midwest while averaging 28mpg start stop with an average speed of 68.7 start to stop. Driving most of the time we set the cruise from 90-110 with no radar and no tickets. I can say this car feels like a mini gt3 steering and handling wise. The motors great, I’m sure a tune would really make it zing, but the car definitely needs to be revved as the power isn’t as exhilarating as a gt3. 3.8/4.0 ect.

I don’t understand why anyone complains about 7 speeds, as the 7th gear is just a real overdrive you never use unless you have the cruise set.

i drove a new gts prior to this car and felt the same when compared to my gt3, I have not driven a new turbo so I have no comparison. I did own a 718 Spyder with the 4.0 manual for a brief period and the engine felt similar to the 3.0 turbos. I just want more power. For everyday driving it’s great, no complaints in stop and go. I really love the way this car drives as far as handling, feels just as sharp as my previous 991.2 gt3 but the amazing 992 interior. The 992 gt3 steering is just different so it’s not comparable imo.

I like the car, I’m not sure I will keep it that long, maybe two more months. I am glad to have had the experience and now I will forever know to order 18-ways. The t value wise, I do not feel it’s a great value unlike the last gEN. I feel it’s mainly the pricing and lack of special features such as the door straps, or ceramic option. I know a tune will wake the car up a bit, but I’m doubtful it will increase the low end like displacement. I’m very interested to see what the 992.2 gts will get power wise. I love back seats for the kids, this 992 interior is awesome the new fal is so much better. I have had my touch screen ghost on me for 2 days twice now, no idea why but when I’m about to schedule it come back.

So if you never owed a gt3 or a turbo s you will not be disappointed. If you were spoiled with gt3’s and turbo’s you may want to hold out. i will say on a short road course like summit point it’s probably 2 seconds slower than the gt3 maybe.

Last edited by prl; 08-07-2023 at 02:08 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by prl:
BadlyDrawnBoy (08-07-2023), BAreaTransplant (08-08-2023), eclou (08-07-2023), JM_Rennlist (08-07-2023), mashoutposse (08-07-2023), RatherJaded (08-07-2023), tomtomtomtom (08-07-2023), watchpaul (08-07-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2023, 01:37 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Old 08-07-2023, 01:58 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

And we don’t even get a cool pic of the car on the salt flats? SMH
Old 08-07-2023, 03:59 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

The buckets are strictly for looks and flex, unless you happen to be big enough (maybe a 42 waist size?) for the seat to actually hold you properly on the track. I wouldn't get buckets unless I got the custom fitted ones. I wish Porsche had small/medium/large sizing options for them, but instead they only offer what I would consider XL.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

I do not think the .2 GTS will get any more power. I think it will mostly be cosmetic.

I came from a 991.2 GT3 and now am driving a 2022 GTS. Steering and suspension feel very similar to the .2 GT3 and power-wise the GTS certainly feels faster but it could be all that torque. After putting on the JCR non-valved-non-silenced exhaust I no longer miss my GT3 because the only thing that kept me hanging on was the GT3 exhaust but the JCR resolved that hang-up.
The following users liked this post:
prl (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:59 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
The buckets are strictly for looks and flex, unless you happen to be big enough (maybe a 42 waist size?) for the seat to actually hold you properly on the track. I wouldn't get buckets unless I got the custom fitted ones. I wish Porsche had small/medium/large sizing options for them, but instead they only offer what I would consider XL.
Have to 2nd this one. I recently had a go in a GT3 and GT4 on the track at PECLA and it was my first time driving the buckets (both cars). I was surprised how much I liked the comfort of both style buckets but also noticed being a smaller guy (5'7" and about 130lbs) there was way too much body movement within them vs. the 18ways I have in my 992 and Macan GTS. For us smaller folk, that ability on the 18 ways to dial in the thigh and upper side bolsters is unmatched.
prl (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:59 PM
jonbek
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I do not think the .2 GTS will get any more power. I think it will mostly be cosmetic.

I came from a 991.2 GT3 and now am driving a 2022 GTS. Steering and suspension feel very similar to the .2 GT3 and power-wise the GTS certainly feels faster but it could be all that torque. After putting on the JCR non-valved-non-silenced exhaust I no longer miss my GT3 because the only thing that kept me hanging on was the GT3 exhaust but the JCR resolved that hang-up.
You're saying the exhaust note with the JCR is engaging/emotional enough for you to be stoked?
Old 08-07-2023, 10:10 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by prl
Finally got my hands on a T thanks to Porsche North Olmsted. My build was a 142k sticker, gt silver, ras, lift, leather t, 18- ways ect ect.

I had a beautiful 992 gt3 touring I ordered pts Pantone blue, however the market allowed me to trade that car for a car I had been seeking for years.

so I was very skeptical about a non gt or turbo car as every Porsche that’s been water cooled I have owned has been one or the other…

This was my first porsche with 18-ways. Oh my, I will never order buckets again, not even in a rs. I recently did the smokies gt event last spring and drove 8 hours home in buckets…. Horrible experience for my *** and I’m 150lbs. This trip I drove 15 hours a day and besides shifting my butt a bit I never had any issues. In fact when I arrived at my destination I had no problems running a quick 5 mile workout that was after 1100 miles and 16 hours straight.

I do not care what anyone has to say, if I’m tracking a “street” car 18-ways can grip me as tight as porsche road buckets. Except the 18ways are 100000% better. I will say my 997 buckets are very comfy.

moving on. We took a “long way” from pa to ca. started the journey with 400 miles on the car. We drove through some interesting places stuck mainly to 2 lane highways through Wyoming, hit the salt flats in Utah. Had a great time seeing the Midwest while averaging 28mpg start stop with an average speed of 68.7 start to stop. Driving most of the time we set the cruise from 90-110 with no radar and no tickets. I can say this car feels like a mini gt3 steering and handling wise. The motors great, I’m sure a tune would really make it zing, but the car definitely needs to be revved as the power isn’t as exhilarating as a gt3. 3.8/4.0 ect.

I don’t understand why anyone complains about 7 speeds, as the 7th gear is just a real overdrive you never use unless you have the cruise set.

i drove a new gts prior to this car and felt the same when compared to my gt3, I have not driven a new turbo so I have no comparison. I did own a 718 Spyder with the 4.0 manual for a brief period and the engine felt similar to the 3.0 turbos. I just want more power. For everyday driving it’s great, no complaints in stop and go. I really love the way this car drives as far as handling, feels just as sharp as my previous 991.2 gt3 but the amazing 992 interior. The 992 gt3 steering is just different so it’s not comparable imo.

I like the car, I’m not sure I will keep it that long, maybe two more months. I am glad to have had the experience and now I will forever know to order 18-ways. The t value wise, I do not feel it’s a great value unlike the last gEN. I feel it’s mainly the pricing and lack of special features such as the door straps, or ceramic option. I know a tune will wake the car up a bit, but I’m doubtful it will increase the low end like displacement. I’m very interested to see what the 992.2 gts will get power wise. I love back seats for the kids, this 992 interior is awesome the new fal is so much better. I have had my touch screen ghost on me for 2 days twice now, no idea why but when I’m about to schedule it come back.

So if you never owed a gt3 or a turbo s you will not be disappointed. If you were spoiled with gt3’s and turbo’s you may want to hold out. i will say on a short road course like summit point it’s probably 2 seconds slower than the gt3 maybe.
sweet to be able to drive so many of them and be able to compare. I’m able to do that with other toys but not Porsches. Do you factor in loss with them or are you able to get most of the money back owning them for such a short time? I specd mine cheap and it’s darn near $150 out the door with taxes. I don’t see a way to to sell it for what I paid.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:43 AM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Pics I’ll post,
-A bummer your not able to flat foot shift these cars like gt3’s.
-my old 991.2 gt3 i just saw was up for sale.
-if your buying cars for investments your not buying gt3’s and 992’s. You’re buying special editions. Luckily with the gt3’s I usually break even or lose 10%, which is fine. The 992 gt3 well that’s just absurd. Also I always try and cover my taxes with a trade or sale of a car, now with the t I think I’m sitting ok since I got it before the price hike. When I get rid of it hopefully I can get within 10% next month.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:46 AM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Great looking car, my color/wheel combo coming in October....
prl (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by jonbek
You're saying the exhaust note with the JCR is engaging/emotional enough for you to be stoked?
Yes- for sure

I see you are in Chicago as I am in the Northern suburbs.

You're more than welcome to PM me, if you are interested in the exhaust and on the fence and want to experience it, in Person

Quick Reply: 3100 miles in 3 days in a 992t