Sponsored by:

Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:15 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
The last time I heard of such a delay, the car ended up totaled before it even got on the boat. How the hell does that happen?
Usually an engine failure while driving it off train and into shipping yard. If engine is coming apart it will usually do it during first 500 miles.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:29 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 605 Posts

delay is annoying but not a " Nightmare "
Old 07-27-2023, 10:39 AM
robopp
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
delay is annoying but not a " Nightmare "
I’m ok with the delay. My big gripe is that MY24 are getting on boats before my car. Additionally, cars are getting to port late July and getting on boats heading to my destination. If everyone was being delayed I’d have no issue, but wtf is happening with my car? I get they can’t guarantee FIFO, but at this point it looks like a LIFO.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:40 AM
robopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Usually an engine failure while driving it off train and into shipping yard. If engine is coming apart it will usually do it during first 500 miles.
Hm, any way I can check for an engine replacement when/if it ever makes it to the US?
Old 07-27-2023, 11:04 AM
robopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by meyecul
Of course I did nor did I say anything about a "couple of weeks" which is why I stated there is something holding your specific vehicle up if its been this long ("longer stretches, likely the car is waiting on some sort of port installable element or update before it can be released").

Though I find it odd and nearly impossible given the shipping schedules this past year that you would have had 7 ships in 12 weeks to your port (that would be a ship arriving about every 1 3/4 weeks). What destination port is it? Most individual US ports have been 3 to 4 weeks between receiving ships from Emden at best.
I apologize. I didn't mean to come off so abrasive with my response.

My car is heading to Jacksonville. It got to Emden on 5/8 and here are the ships it has missed since -
Number | Emden Departure Date | Boat Name
1 | 5/11 | Siem Confucius
2 | 5/23 | Siem Aristotle
3 | 6/19 | SFL Conductor
4 | 7/5 | Siem Confucius
5 | 7/11 | Siem Aristotle
6 | 7/22 | SFL Composer

These are boats that are on the PWL Volkswagen Schedule. There were a couple other boats heading to Jacksonville too, but I can't remember their names (maybe Neptune Koper is one?).
Old 07-27-2023, 11:53 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by robopp
I’m ok with the delay. My big gripe is that MY24 are getting on boats before my car. Additionally, cars are getting to port late July and getting on boats heading to my destination. If everyone was being delayed I’d have no issue, but wtf is happening with my car? I get they can’t guarantee FIFO, but at this point it looks like a LIFO.
I get your frustration, but it seems to me you are over stressing about it and I tell my patients that stressing out always make a problem worse and I have never seen it help a problem
just relax, wait till the car gets here and if you don't want to take it because it is 23 and 24 MY are getting in , I am sure your dealer will help getting you an allocation and sell your car
it is just a toy
The following users liked this post:
robopp (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 01:27 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Not really sure what else to do so I'll vent here for a second. Here's a very quick backstory:

1 - Received my allocation for a MY23 Carrera T on 12/20. Build locked on 3/31 with an ETA of 6/9
2 - Production completed slightly ahead of schedule on 5/3
3 - Vehicle arrived at Emden on 5/8 heading to Jacksonville, FL

Today marks the seventh boat missed to Jacksonville, SFL Composer. After I missed the sixth boat (Siem Aristotle), I reached out to PCNA and I received a response on 7/21 that my vehicle doesn't have a hold on it and that I have priority loading onto SFL Composer. Well, Porsche can't even handle priority loading apparently because I'm still stuck at Emden. How is it possible that a car company can be this incompetent?

How worried should I be that my car's been sitting at the dock for over 11 weeks? This whole situation is just so frustrating. I've bought a lot of new cars in my past and nothing has even come close to this level of incompetence.
Could be an endangered species of bird nesting in your car that they're not going to be allowed to disturb lol.....
robopp (07-27-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 03:19 AM
meyecul
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 212 Posts

My car is heading to Jacksonville. It got to Emden on 5/8 and here are the ships it has missed since -
3 | 6/19 | SFL Conductor
4 | 7/5 | Siem Confucius
6 | 7/22 | SFL Composer

These are boats that are on the PWL Volkswagen Schedule. There were a couple other boats heading to Jacksonville too, but I can't remember their names (maybe Neptune Koper is one?).
No worries at all my friend and no need to apologize. Trust me, I understand the frustration and pair that with the build up of anticipation, every missed ship is such a let down.

My 21 Macan GTS was my first custom build Porsche and after missing ship after ship it was deflating to the enjoyment of the process. Each passing ship made the experience less special feeling in the moment. So again, I totally understand.

The good news is it’s coming and when it does you will be in love.

When I got my 992 allocation last Dec, I was a little more mentally prepared for what could be ahead and took all the TYD dates etc with a grain of salt (the best I could, haha). Was much less stressful but I think you have to unfortunately go through the process once to be able to be more in a go with glow state of mind.

You are virtually guaranteed to be on a ship extremely soon and that delivery day will be awesome!
The following 2 users liked this post by meyecul:
Icegrill (07-28-2023), robopp (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 04:44 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

Look like in heading in the same(wrong) direction. 24 C4S sitting since 7/4, TYD show’s departure 8/31. Does anyone have a good contact at PCNA? Dealer is of no help at this point.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:00 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Look like in heading in the same(wrong) direction. 24 C4S sitting since 7/4, TYD show’s departure 8/31. Does anyone have a good contact at PCNA? Dealer is of no help at this point.
Sitting since 7/4 is nothing compared to some situations in the past. I would not worry if it's already at Emden. Also, I would not read too much into that 8/31 date either. Many of us have experienced TYD dates that suddenly got pushed out like that and then all of a sudden next thing you know its on a ship and dates change back.

Now for those that are currently at the factory awaiting transport to Emden, its going to get a little bit more tricky as the factory always shuts down for large portion of August for holiday and all operations come to a halt.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:31 AM
highedu
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

3 | 6/19 | SFL Conductor
4 | 7/5 | Siem Confucius
6 | 7/22 | SFL Composer

my car just got to Emden yesterday, where can I find out the boats scheduled to go to Northern California over the next several days?
Old 07-30-2023, 10:36 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by highedu
my car just got to Emden yesterday, where can I find out the boats scheduled to go to Northern California over the next several days?
In the “Official Waiting Room” thread below most likely.
Radiationman (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 10:45 AM
robopp
Instructor

I missed the Siem Cicero last night. Boat number 7, at least. What a complete joke. 14 weeks at Emden. Two boats with priority loading and one with GUARANTEED loading. You guys were right, all smoke.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:10 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I missed the Siem Cicero last night. Boat number 7, at least. What a complete joke. 14 weeks at Emden. Two boats with priority loading and one with GUARANTEED loading. You guys were right, all smoke.
If its any consolation my car finished production Sept 2 2022. First EuroDelivery slot was Dec 22, 2022. By the time I got to Zuffenhausen everyone in my family was sick with the flu so I got to drive my car from the Zentrum to the museum and back. 300 yds, total drive time maybe 140 seconds. The left it at Zentrum. Didn't make a boat until March 2023 then was ready for pickup April 2023. All the while making payments on the car
robopp (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 12:15 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry, to say. it's not a matter of too many cars and not enough ships.

This is what I would think is going on (if it were my car)
  1. missing a part, decal, etc (but this can usually rectified at the port of entry and would not hold up shipping)
  2. damage
  3. lost

as a backup plan, I would start looking for a new car or build slot, at 2023 pricing from PCNA (if possible)

Quick Reply: Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden