Sponsored by:

Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 12:31 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
If its any consolation my car finished production Sept 2 2022. First EuroDelivery slot was Dec 22, 2022. By the time I got to Zuffenhausen everyone in my family was sick with the flu so I got to drive my car from the Zentrum to the museum and back. 300 yds, total drive time maybe 140 seconds. The left it at Zentrum. Didn't make a boat until March 2023 then was ready for pickup April 2023. All the while making payments on the car
yikes. That’s awful

OP: sorry you missed another one. Really does seem like something is up. Hard to get real answers without somebody going onsite which I have zero idea how that would be possible.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:46 PM
robopp
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
sorry, to say. it's not a matter of too many cars and not enough ships.

This is what I would think is going on (if it were my car)
  1. missing a part, decal, etc (but this can usually rectified at the port of entry and would not hold up shipping)
  2. damage
  3. lost

as a backup plan, I would start looking for a new car or build slot, at 2023 pricing from PCNA (if possible)
I’d be ok with this. Get buckets and bose, which I wanted before, but wasn’t available.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:09 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by robopp
I missed the Siem Cicero last night. Boat number 7, at least. What a complete joke. 14 weeks at Emden. Two boats with priority loading and one with GUARANTEED loading. You guys were right, all smoke.
I’d be ok with this. Get buckets and bose, which I wanted before, but wasn’t available.
Something more is going on than just being “blocked” in the parking lot. Has your dealerships GM reached out to pcna? I would also be abandoning hope. The one guy did euro delivery and already got his car stateside! Did you spec a fire extinguisher that blew up in the car?
Old 07-30-2023, 03:20 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

I missed the Siem Cicero last night. Boat number 7, at least. What a complete joke. 14 weeks at Emden. Two boats with priority loading and one with GUARANTEED loading. You guys were right, all smoke.
Sorry to hear that. Shipping damage or waiting on a part. Wish Porsche customer service would be honest when they address shipping delays, just tell the customer they can't see the reason for the delay and apologize for the wait, and don't make promises about priority boarding that doesn't exist . Hang in there.

Last edited by remington; 07-30-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:01 PM
robopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by remington
Sorry to hear that. Shipping damage or waiting on a part. Wish Porsche customer service would be honest when they address shipping delays, just tell the customer they can't see the reason for the delay and apologize for the wait, and don't make promises about priority boarding that doesn't exist . Hang in there.
Me too. Delays are ok, but the unknown is the frustrating part.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:17 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Porsche is very poor on logistics
The previous year I had a Macan GTS on order for winter driving . It was supposed to arrive Mid October which is just before the start of winter and according to dealer it was on a ship already and on time . I did pre trade my 992 C4S that I drove the previous winter as dealer needed cars and GTS was on time . My other summer daily driver was a 718 Spyder on Cup 2 tires
Early October, I received a message from dealer that car actually missed the ship and new arrival date was mid- end of December and nothing they can do
next day I go to Avis and rent a car for 2 months at 1500 dollars a month. Literally speaking , immediately after I picked rental , I get a message from dealer that car is actually on the ship and will arrive on time
Avis agreed to cancel one months and I kept the rental for a month .
but looking at it from a positive perspective , the dealer had a Cayenne GTS that became available as someone backed out that arrived at the same time . I took the car for a spin and I was sold
Bought that car and dumped the Macan GTS and Cayenne was a great experience with zero regrets
bottom line : Porsche logistics is very poor and sucks

Last edited by pitt911; 07-30-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:18 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

It's annoying - but the reason why PCNA and your dealer is of absolutely no hope here is because once the car is loaded on the transporter to Emden it's completely out of Porsche's control until it's arrived as the US destination port and loaded onto the transporter to your dealership - and even then it's really kind of out of their control then too.

Just like when you ship a package - once you hand it to the transporter, they're in control of all the schedules. It's no different with moving a car - Porsche transfers it to the transporter and it's on them to get it on a ship and to the destination port. Now, because there is some work that is done at the port (aero installs, final PCM loading, etc) Porsche has some influence in the car going to the VPC to complete this work, not in the order or timing of that shift to the Port's VPC, just directing the car to the VPC.

If anybody can get the car moving it's the shipper - and they won't work with you because you don't have a contract with them. Odds are not even PCNA has the contract, it's probably with Porsche AG and it doesn't seem like Porsche AG has any interest in getting involved, likely because the backlog is so bad at Emden that there's not a whole that they can do - and they're not going to make special dispensation for any customer car going through Emden.

I feel for you - it truly sucks to know that your car is at the port and isn't moving with no idea of what the hold up is or why it's stuck. If it's any consolation, go back a few months on the Waiting Room thread - there's somebody who had their car sit for 9 months (if not longer) from manufacturing complete until if finally left the factory and headed to Emden.
The following 2 users liked this post by Radiationman:
robopp (07-31-2023), WillyDaP (08-01-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 06:52 PM
kcdc368
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is missing part.

It could be worse (or better depending on your perspective), Porsche could have shipped the car with missing part and you can see our new car but cannot drive it away.

We bought a 2021 Cayenne S off the dealer lot back in 09/2021. After completing all negotiation (No ADM and $7k more in trade-in than Beverly Hills Porsche), was told it's missing a solar sensor. Porsche shipped the car with missing part, ended up driving the car we are trading in (2019 Cayenne base) for 2 extra months (dealer honored the original trade-in offer even though we put 4,000 miles on the car.)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:29 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Here is a potential strategy which you may or may not like. Call the GM at your dealership. Explain facts and say clearly the car is lost and demand an immediate allocation from Porsche AG to replace your lost car just like all the buyers who lost cars on the Felicity Ace. He won’t have an allocation or, if he does, he won’t want to give it up for no additional profit. So, he will then ask PCNA for an immediate emergency allocation for a lost car. PCNA will then ask Porsche AG for the allocation for a lost car. That just might might get someone to track your car down or give up another allocation.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Billy Bluejay (08-03-2023), Icegrill (07-31-2023), robopp (08-01-2023), V999 (07-31-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 01:06 PM
robopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Here is a potential strategy which you may or may not like. Call the GM at your dealership. Explain facts and say clearly the car is lost and demand an immediate allocation from Porsche AG to replace your lost car just like all the buyers who lost cars on the Felicity Ace. He won’t have an allocation or, if he does, he won’t want to give it up for no additional profit. So, he will then ask PCNA for an immediate emergency allocation for a lost car. PCNA will then ask Porsche AG for the allocation for a lost car. That just might might get someone to track your car down or give up another allocation.
I like this approach a lot. Only issue is I’ll need to be careful and say I want a MY24 allocation at MY23 prices because I’m not forking over 10k for Porsche’s incompetence. Tomorrow’s back to reality after my wedding so I’ll figure out what to do then. I reached out to my PCNA rep and she hasn’t gotten back to me for the last couple of days, which is unusual.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:03 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

I reached out to my PCNA rep and she hasn’t gotten back to me for the last couple of days, which is unusual.
I've only ever had to deal with a PCNA rep once (about a warranty issue) and she was a lovely person, great to talk to, could happily talk to her all day. We had several conversations and she was great about returning calls and so forth. But she was totally useless (and she cheerfully admitted it). She effectively said "sorry, we can't help you, work it out with the dealership - but feel free to call anytime".

Anyway, I like @Fullyield 's suggested approach. I'd add that it might be worth contacting a lawyer, briefly explaining the situation and then copying them on all correspondence. Then be sure to follow up on every phone call w/an email, to all parties on the call plus the lawyer, that summarizes the phone exchange in detail.

Doesn't cost much if anything and, in my experience, doing that has a way of elevating the level of attention given to an issue. Shouldn't be necessary, but your very legitimate grievance may be getting lost in a sea of much less legitimate issues from others.

Last edited by V999; 08-01-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:13 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Lawyer idea is a terrible one. They'll immediately escalate to their own counsel, and will stop communicating with you altogether.
The following 5 users liked this post by dhirm5:
Billy Bluejay (08-03-2023), bobert75 (08-02-2023), Icegrill (08-01-2023), rouxeny (08-02-2023), slc4s (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Anyway, I like @Fullyield 's suggested approach. I'd add that it might be worth contacting a lawyer, briefly explaining the situation and then copying them on all correspondence. Then be sure to follow up on every phone call w/an email, to all parties on the call plus the lawyer, that summarizes the phone exchange in detail.

Doesn't cost much if anything and, in my experience, doing that has a way of elevating the level of attention given to an issue. Shouldn't be necessary, but your very legitimate grievance may be getting lost in a sea of much less legitimate issues from others.
That's the nuclear option, and I'd recommend against it.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer handed you whatever deposit you gave them and told you where to go if you pulled a lawyer in. It'd be cheaper to hand you your deposit back and cancel your order than to deal with a lawyer - and then whenever the car you were waiting for shows up, they can sell off to somebody off the street.

The problem with that approach is that you don't have a commitment from PCNA or the dealer to deliver the car in any time frame. It's stated at every step of the process that the delivery times posted are estimates. There are warnings in quite a few places that there are various delays occurring throughout the process.

Bringing a lawyer in is an escalation that would make the situation worse - not better.

Last edited by Radiationman; 08-01-2023 at 03:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Radiationman:
dhirm5 (08-01-2023), Icegrill (08-01-2023), meyecul (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 04:00 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Lawyer idea is a terrible one. They'll immediately escalate to their own counsel, and will stop communicating with you altogether.
For sure, that's always a possibility, and it might be wise to wait a bit longer before copying a lawyer.

But, while I've never had to do it with anything revolving around cars and dealerships, I've had success doing it with real estate issues and other situations. And I've never seen it escalated to a point where the organization stopped responding. I'm not suggesting making any threats - just adding the lawyer to the email copy line, and cc-ing the lawyer by name.

Even if not copying a lawyer, I'd absolutely be using follow-up emails to any phone conversations in order to document everything.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:02 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Having sold various Performance Cars for years I can honestly tell you that many Salespeople who were vigilant in helping customers know the Status of their cars actually dislike the systems where the Manufacturer keeps the buyer constantly in the loop. The reason for said dislike is situations like this and the zillions of horrid reasons folks post on various forms of social media. This Forum is quite good at giving many positive reasons for delays, but there are also a throng of folks just telling you about problems they have heard about ( often simply rumors ). The end result is the customer gets super frustrated and as time drags on the human mind begins to only think the worse.

I would go back to the picture of the mass group of cars waiting at the dock and let you know this is an issue that even occurs with US made cars in lots around the Country. I had one car sit 8 weeks , only 40 miles from the Dealership I worked in because it constantly was blocked in.

Lastly, keep in mind the folks at PCNA really only have limited resources, regardless of what they tell you, and in fact their info often mirrors the Dealership data on a computer monitor so they can only work to help you cope, and sending in a request for "Priority " will only be that, a request. Ironically, your car could actually be on a ship already, but the ship has a mechanical issue and is awaiting repair. Noting the work involved to load, it is unlikely they would unload and hence those cars will be in limbo. They won't show loaded on a ship , even if they are , if the ship is delayed.

As everyone has mentioned, the wait will be worth it, but the list of reasons for the delays can be quite numerous and most do not involve a dramatic issue. All said, I think we would all agree that contacting PCNA was a good idea, but to be frank, I would be hammering on your Dealer, as it is their responsibility to you and they really should be the ones accountable. If nothing more, they should be contacting their Rep and more to help you get an answer, but when all is done, it can come down to simple logistical logjams.

Best of luck and do post when you get your car!
The following 2 users liked this post by WillyDaP:
AbsolutelyNobody (08-01-2023), robopp (08-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden