Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 07:17 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Remember the logistics at Emden. The RORO does not pick up just Porsches. It loads and ships VW, Audi, Lamborghini and Porsches all headed for the same region of the US ( East or West) with Porsches and Lambos getting the smallest number of slots. Not trying to excuse the delay in any way……. Just explaining the logistics. Victim of the allocation process again, I guess.

Last edited by Fullyield; 07-26-2023 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 09:36 AM
robopp
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
There is no such thing as priority loading. Porsche has no direct say in what vehicles are loaded when, that is contracted to the shippers and Porsche has no direct say in the matter, you were told what you wanted to hear. Also you will get no compensation for waiting longer, Porsche doesn't care and it's not uncommon to wait several weeks in Emden and despite what you may have been told it is possible you're waiting on a part or a repair from shipping damage. I was in Emden 4 weeks and that was about average at the time but some waited longer.
How do you know there's no such thing as priority loading? I'd be very surprised if Porsche doesn't have some mechanism to prioritize cars for loading at Emden. Once they get to US there's nothing they can do, but in Germany having zero control over loading seems very unlikely. I'm on week 12. That can't be normal especially when MY24 911s are getting loaded before my MY23. Additionally, why wouldn't they tell me my vehicle is waiting on a part. That makes sense and I'd understand the delays. Lying about waiting for a part seems backwards.

Anyway, she's supposed to get back to me with why my vehicle is still waiting. We'll see what she says, but she said there's no hold on my vehicle.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:38 AM
robopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by meyecul
This is correct. If they told you priority loading, that was just customer service trying appease its customer. It is not at all uncommon for cars to sit at Emden for quite some time these day. Actually this has been going on now for a couple years. Even my 2021 Macan GTS which shipped end of Nov 2021 sat there watching at least 4 ships heading to my destination port come and go. My 2023 992 that arrived end of April also missed a few ships. It's usually either port back up or for some with longer stretches, likely the car is waiting on some sort of port installable element or update before it can be released.
Did you even bother to read my original post? I didn't miss a couple of boats and haven't been waiting for a couple of weeks. I'm on week 12 and have missed around 7 boats heading to my US port. That's not normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by robopp:
Just J (07-26-2023), V999 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 10:46 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I looked at your build and didn't see anything that appeared to be a problem to require a wait at the port for the item to be retrieved or installed (read: fire extinguisher for example). I question the use of the word "hold" by Porsche, they may have a different term for its delay due to damage. I've seen posts where people find out their car has been damaged somehow (dented, wheel bent, etc.) so their car just sits and waits for the new part to be delivered to the port for installation prior to shipping.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:55 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

If your car completed ahead of schedule, it will almost always sit until the est. date of pickup and not go ahead of schedule - so it is only behind from that original date. Porsche wont ship cars ahead and mess up their quarterly deliveries just because a car is sitting in Emden and ahead of schedule on production.

Hate to share, but have had this happen and it isn't as uncommon as you might think albeit frustrating nonetheless. Enjoy it when it does get here, not much anyone can or will do about it and it will eventually get on a boat.

Last edited by redmonkey928; 07-26-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:32 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

Although it's certainly possible that the customer service rep is, in this case, just making stuff up to appease you, I wouldn't be certain of it. OTOH, it seems like it would be a time-consuming task for someone to walk the huge queue of cars at the Port to locate one specific car and then move it to the head of the queue. The situation sucks, but hope for the best. I hope you get on the next boat.

Not sure how anybody posting there is no way to expedite getting the car on a ship could know that. Unless they work for Porsche in Germany, they're speculating based on stuff they've heard. And if they do work for Porsche in Germany, they ought to get off the forum and go find your car.

robopp (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 11:49 AM
robopp
Instructor

My PCNA rep guaranteed me it will get on Siem Cicero setting sail on 7/31 after talking with PAG. We’ll see…

No explanation for why it’s been at Emden for 12 weeks though.
The following 3 users liked this post by robopp:
CZS (07-26-2023), Just J (07-26-2023), V999 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:01 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by robopp
My PCNA rep guaranteed me it will get on Siem Cicero setting sail on 7/31 after talking with PAG. We’ll see…

No explanation for why it’s been at Emden for 12 weeks though.
fingers crossed for you.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:53 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I looked at your build and didn't see anything that appeared to be a problem to require a wait at the port for the item to be retrieved or installed (read: fire extinguisher for example). I question the use of the word "hold" by Porsche, they may have a different term for its delay due to damage. I've seen posts where people find out their car has been damaged somehow (dented, wheel bent, etc.) so their car just sits and waits for the new part to be delivered to the port for installation prior to shipping.
Don't scare me about the fire extinguisher causing a 16 week loading delay!????
Old 07-26-2023, 01:04 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

The last time I heard of such a delay, the car ended up totaled before it even got on the boat. How the hell does that happen?
Old 07-26-2023, 01:13 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Count your blessings. Things could be worse…

R&T another ship on fire
Old 07-26-2023, 01:18 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Did you even bother to read my original post? I didn't miss a couple of boats and haven't been waiting for a couple of weeks. I'm on week 12 and have missed around 7 boats heading to my US port. That's not normal.
Of course I did nor did I say anything about a "couple of weeks" which is why I stated there is something holding your specific vehicle up if its been this long ("longer stretches, likely the car is waiting on some sort of port installable element or update before it can be released").

Though I find it odd and nearly impossible given the shipping schedules this past year that you would have had 7 ships in 12 weeks to your port (that would be a ship arriving about every 1 3/4 weeks). What destination port is it? Most individual US ports have been 3 to 4 weeks between receiving ships from Emden at best.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:35 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

How do you know there's no such thing as priority loading? I'd be very surprised if Porsche doesn't have some mechanism to prioritize cars for loading at Emden. Once they get to US there's nothing they can do, but in Germany having zero control over loading seems very unlikely. I'm on week 12. That can't be normal especially when MY24 911s are getting loaded before my MY23. Additionally, why wouldn't they tell me my vehicle is waiting on a part. That makes sense and I'd understand the delays. Lying about waiting for a part seems backwards.

Anyway, she's supposed to get back to me with why my vehicle is still waiting. We'll see what she says, but she said there's no hold on my vehicle.
I am afraid you answered this question yourself. If it has missed two ships while in a supposed "priority loading" que, what does that tell you.

The normal logistics of an operation like Emden would make it virtually impossible to give a single vehicle any kind of priority anything IF its sitting somewhere in the middle of the sea (no pun intended) of parked cars awaiting loading. Have a look at this image of Emden. If your car is in the middle of that, they are not moving 100s of cars to get access to yours.

Hopefully all is resolved soon as I understand your frustration . What I can say, is when it does arrive, it will have been so well worth the wait, all that prior frustration will subside.
Attached Images  
WillyDaP (08-01-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 04:41 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

How do you know there's no such thing as priority loading? .
Because I've been on the forum following delivered cars including mine for 17 years.

I'd be very surprised if Porsche doesn't have some mechanism to prioritize cars for loading at Emden. Once they get to US there's nothing they can do, but in Germany having zero control over loading seems very unlikely. I'm on week 12..
Then you're going to be very surprised. Think of the shipping company like the post office, Porsche drops their cars in the mailbox and at that point have zero say in when it gets delivered.

. Additionally, why wouldn't they tell me my vehicle is waiting on a part. That makes sense and I'd understand the delays. Lying about waiting for a part seems backwards.
They're trying to be helpful to a likely irate customer and give them some reassurances. They don't know what car is held for what reason. That information is between shipping and repair facilities or the factory, customer service knows nothing about it.

I'm on your team and hope you get it soon, just sharing some knowledge on Porsche delivery I've picked up over the last couple decades here.
The following 2 users liked this post by remington:
Radiationman (07-27-2023), WillyDaP (08-01-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 04:59 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts

Imagine if you will, back in a historical day when you had zero knowledge of where your car was and when your car would arrive along with zero communication from anyone about it.

You wouldn't think twice about and just be frustrated and impatient. Now, you are the same and just have some information in this day and age.

It will arrive and be just fine!
BondJ (07-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Nightmare: over 11 Weeks at Emden