Sponsored by:

Why does Porsche create this situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 11:13 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Why does Porsche create this situation

Today I went to a dealership to look around. I saw a Dakar it looked great I didn’t ask for the price. Anyone who can get one , do it. It’s a beauty. They also had a 992 Sport Classic that I love and I was talking to someone in sales about, they told me the owner left it in consignment ? And he was asking 600k for it , someone offered 500k but the owner didn’t accept the offer. So my question is , why does Porsche make these cars that go directly to speculators and business guys trying to make a buck instead of focusing on regular 911’s for enthusiasts desperate to get an allocation ? They also had some GT3’s same situation. Owners who flipped them to profit after getting their allocations. It bothers me, when real car enthusiasts can’t get allocations 🤷🏻‍♂️

*by the way I have seen New sport classics for sale in every single dealership I have been to in Florida. This was not a particular situation.

Last edited by Porsche992; 07-23-2023 at 11:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche992:
RolandT (07-24-2023), timothymoffat (07-24-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 11:31 PM
LeftLane50mph
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

because $$$
Old 07-23-2023, 11:37 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftLane50mph
because $$$
Porsche doesn’t make extra profit when a speculator flips a car. I know I’m asking for too much but it’s bothersome to watch
Old 07-23-2023, 11:50 PM
AZTechGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Numerous folks have chimed in on this before but it eventually will create a problem for Porsche which is why other manufacturers have agreements in place to prolong the inevitable “flipping”. They have realized it dilutes the brand and also prevents new enthusiasts from entering. Hopefully they look into it before it’s too late. They haven’t necessarily created it but they also haven’t done anything to stop it.

I know when I started my saga to get a GTS, I contacted numerous dealers and spoke to PCNA - no one cared. It’s all about the $$$

Search for my other thread - ‘crazy pills’ for more details.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZTechGuy:
maschinetheist (07-24-2023), Porsche992 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:09 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Today I went to a dealership to look around. I saw a Dakar it looked great I didn’t ask for the price. Anyone who can get one , do it. It’s a beauty. They also had a 992 Sport Classic that I love and I was talking to someone in sales about, they told me the owner left it in consignment ? And he was asking 600k for it , someone offered 500k but the owner didn’t accept the offer. So my question is , why does Porsche make these cars that go directly to speculators and business guys trying to make a buck instead of focusing on regular 911’s for enthusiasts desperate to get an allocation ? They also had some GT3’s same situation. Owners who flipped them to profit after getting their allocations. It bothers me, when real car enthusiasts can’t get allocations 🤷🏻‍♂️

*by the way I have seen New sport classics for sale in every single dealership I have been to in Florida. This was not a particular situation.
I feel your pain. Long ago, Porsches were bought by those enthusiasts who wanted to own and drive their cars. At some point more people bought cars as "status". These days MANY of the sports cars are bought by guys who just want to have the latest and greatest but particularly hardest to get models. Enthusiast cars for non-enthusiast owners. Porsche is a victim of its own success, and LONG term enthusiasts are the ones that suffer most. I've had a deposit down on a 992 for 14 months now and still no allocation. Yet there are already quite a few (relative to our Canadian market) of the specific car I ordered already available "pre owned". Honestly, it's beginning to put me off owning a new 911. I've owned 6 911s since getting my first in 2006 and was looking forward to the whole process. It stopped being enjoyable some time ago. The best Porsche for me may be a used Porsche.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 07-24-2023 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jcr847 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 03:10 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Why wouldn't Porsche support this faux scarcity? Makes it all the easier to sell the lesser models.
RolandT (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 05:14 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 195 Posts

I think a lot has to do with the 918 crowd. Once that is done with, we will see where these special cars go. Probably won't be much better but at least the dealers will get a say in who gets what.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:38 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 341 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I think a lot has to do with the 918 crowd. Once that is done with, we will see where these special cars go. Probably won't be much better but at least the dealers will get a say in who gets what.
exactly. 2 Dakars at my local dealer and both going to 918 VIP’s. the deal they made with those guys was incredible. It’s paid them back well more than what they paid for their 918 back in the day….
Old 07-24-2023, 07:30 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Because Porsche doesn't care about you and your needs are not their problem.

They've evidently assessed that creating scarcity and hype over their cars is more valuable than making it easy for car nerds to buy their dream car.

I suspect they'd like the brand to maintain some aura of an exotic car and not become common, boring and disposable like a BMW.

OMTarga4S (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 07:48 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Because Porsche doesn't care about you and your needs are not their problem.

They've evidently assessed that creating scarcity and hype over their cars is more valuable than making it easy for car nerds to buy their dream car.

I suspect they'd like the brand to maintain some aura of an exotic car and not become common, boring and disposable like a BMW.
This 100%

Creating demand and a sense of scarcity is key. Even though Rolex makes 1 million watches a year, the wait list is years for desirable models. Porsche is no different.

It is a double edged sword though, yes they are hard to get and ADM is a thing - but once you do have a car, that does help to keep the values high.

Desirability, prestige and scarcity are all needed. Only 2 of the 3 and you don’t get the Porsche special sauce (or Ferrari and to some extent Lambo). If you only have 2, you get Aston Martin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
911my22 (07-25-2023), GuardsRed992 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 10:50 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
This 100%

Creating demand and a sense of scarcity is key. Even though Rolex makes 1 million watches a year, the wait list is years for desirable models. Porsche is no different.

It is a double edged sword though, yes they are hard to get and ADM is a thing - but once you do have a car, that does help to keep the values high.

Desirability, prestige and scarcity are all needed. Only 2 of the 3 and you don’t get the Porsche special sauce (or Ferrari and to some extent Lambo). If you only have 2, you get Aston Martin.
The Rolex analogy is exactly right. Rolex ADs and Rolex itself aren't capturing the flipper premium, but it ensures that every watch they make can be sold with no discounting, and at least as importantly that the brand remains fundamentally desirable.

People like to own things that are hard for others to get, and they like brands that have the aura of exclusivity. This is why you'll never see a Hermes outlet mall store, and why the fashion brands who have chased ever larger volumes have seen their prestige and desirability dwindle.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
911my22 (07-25-2023), jam16 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:39 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 376 Posts

This dynamic applies to *all* luxury goods (T-Swift tix?) these days amplified the ease of flipping on auction sites, etc (anyone tried to purchase a C8 Z06 lately?). Aside from build more, what type of price controls could Porsche reasonably impart that the next guy/gal down the line wouldn't circumvent. Besides, isn't this just a perfect example of 'efficient markets', with the market now much larger because of virtual buying and selling, while the dealers are making huge $$ on ADM so everyone is happy except some buyers (indeed, to many ADM is merely an inconvenience, not an affront)

Interestingly, when I purchased my 992 the dealer made me sign an agreement that I wouldn't export the car for one year, so clearly there is precedent for Porsche to apply some sort of control on the transaction. As an idea to dissuade flippers, Porsche could impose limits on the warranty coverage where the warranty couldn't be transferred among buyers in less than a year, but that approach clearly has it's own downsides among legit sellers who need to get out of a car for financial reasons so can't imagine anything will change until the market cools, which it seems to be doing for some markets, so perhaps there's hope.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:40 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

What situation are you talking about?
VarTheVar (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:40 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

My theory: post-pandemic and conflict in Eastern Europe production issues causing a much lower than desired production volumes means that Porsche can make more money by manufacturing fewer cars through these high dollar exclusive models. I'm not saying these models were created as a result as they were likely in the product planning pipeline regardless but the circumstances have dictated that the lesser trims be de-prioritized. At the end of the day, Porsche is currently more interested in the profit statements on a quarterly basis for shareholder interests and satisfying the legacy high rolling "clients" who pay without question. Both are more financially rewarding and easier short term in the current economic climate than trying to get newer customers who torture themselves over paying MSRP and whether or not to add this or that option that account for like 1% of the total price. As for ensuring future stability by securing new customers, that's a can that gets kicked down the road to be dealt with later hopefully when the market and production capacity get corrected. As for flipping and ADM profits, dealers are just using the laws of supply and demand in their favor. They don't have the profit via volume that they used to so they get profit from demand. Again, just my theory.

Last edited by rasetsu; 07-24-2023 at 12:54 PM.
c1pher (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:49 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

It’s a what have you done for me lately game. I currently own my 13th and 14th Porsches which has earned me zero clout when trying to buy a hard to find model. I do get some nice emails from them advertising the hard to get models, but getting one is a different matter.

Quick Reply: Why does Porsche create this situation