Porsche AG - New Feature Request - Recording Roadway Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 10:55 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Porsche AG - New Feature Request - Recording Roadway Cameras

In the sincere hope that Porsche AG reads this forum, my request is for them to develop (finish developing) recording roadway cameras, utilizing the existing Surround View camera system and offer this recording roadway camera system to customers.

It is very likely that most of the effort for this system is already completed. The optional Surround View camera system already has digital video for each of the four cameras. It might already have equipment permitting recording that digital video. If not, that should be an "easy" upgrade.

The most difficult aspect of this new feature is likely the user interface. My suggestion is to NOT undertake that effort and instead just provide user access tor the microSD flash card, so it may be removed and installed into a PC computer reader.

The looped recordings on the flash card are required in the event of an accident, or if something interesting happens on the roadway or track, so the frequency of data access would likely be much less than once per month, making card removal / replacement an appropriate solution.

IMO, this feature request should be across-the-board, offered on all models, but w/ my expected upcoming order / purchase of a 992.2, my request is for that model to be first.

FWIW, the existing, optional Porsche Front / Rear Dashcam has absolutely horrible industrial design, is a severe detraction from an otherwise amazing / outstanding vehicle, should be eliminated / replaced by this proposed system and all those responsible for that abomination appropriately rewarded. I WOULD NEVER consider the existing Porsche Front / Rear Dashcam for any of my vehicles, even though it has acceptable features and functionality.
The following 3 users liked this post by wingless:
Bluehighways (06-25-2023), gcurnew (06-25-2023), pman3 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 12:00 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

So, you want them to implement Tesla's Dashcam system? I admit, it's pretty nice.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:08 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Just J
So, you want them to implement Tesla's Dashcam system? I admit, it's pretty nice.
Sorry for my prior failure to be sufficiently clear.

No, I am not looking for anything additional to be displayed in the vehicle, just retain the existing optional Surround View display functionality, but also add operational roadway recording onto a user removable flash card to that system.

Zero interest from me for more "bells and whistles". My opinion is that roadway operational video recording has transitioned to an essential function and Porsche should provide an integrated solution.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
Sorry for my prior failure to be sufficiently clear.

No, I am not looking for anything additional to be displayed in the vehicle, just retain the existing optional Surround View display functionality, but also add operational roadway recording onto a user removable flash card to that system.

Zero interest from me for more "bells and whistles". My opinion is that roadway operational video recording has transitioned to an essential function and Porsche should provide an integrated solution.
So Tesla DashCam but it doesn't display in car, you have to take the memory card out and put it in some other device to review the recordings? I'm struggling to understand what "roadway operational video recording" is, and how you see it being used.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:49 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

I'm struggling to understand what "roadway operational video recording" is, and how you see it being used.
The usage would be identical to the existing Porsche dash camera, or any of the other aftermarket dash cameras.

That is as an event recorder, used as documentation in an accident, or used if something else interesting is required for still or video documentation.

As an example, I just removed the flash card from my Fitcamx dash camera to assist informing the City about resolving a long-duration construction pothole by providing a still image into my latest email message showing the problem.

If others want to also define additional features, or "bells and whistles" that they'd like Porsche to include on their vehicle, then go for it.

My topic (this topic) defines an "easy" change to existing Porsche options that addresses a severe Industrial Design deficiency on their optional Dash Camera.

There is already a barely usable clunky user interface for the existing Porsche dash camera. If they want to recreate that clunky user interface for my requested system, then that is fine by me, or they can instead go the previously described "easy" route of user removable flash memory, also already available for existing dash camera systems.

Last edited by wingless; 06-25-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:42 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Porsche could design and implement such a system in a heartbeat...if their engineering groups weren't so preoccupied with creating unobtainable 911 variants and ho-hum supercars.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 04:50 PM
edofloat
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

So Tesla DashCam but it doesn't display in car, you have to take the memory card out and put it in some other device to review the recordings? I'm struggling to understand what "roadway operational video recording" is, and how you see it being used.

I think the OP means similar to BMW Drive Recorder, take a look:

bmw drive recorder - Google Search
Old 06-25-2023, 04:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

IMO, this feature request should be across-the-board, offered on all models, but w/ my expected upcoming order / purchase of a 992.2, my request is for that model to be first.

FWIW, the existing, optional Porsche Front / Rear Dashcam has absolutely horrible industrial design, is a severe detraction from an otherwise amazing / outstanding vehicle, should be eliminated / replaced by this proposed system and all those responsible for that abomination appropriately rewarded. I WOULD NEVER consider the existing Porsche Front / Rear Dashcam for any of my vehicles, even though it has acceptable features and functionality.
Originally Posted by edofloat
I think the OP means similar to BMW Drive Recorder, take a look:

bmw drive recorder - Google Search
Or, similar functionality and User Interface to the existing optional Porsche Dash Camera that has the horrible Industrial Design, that is, zero in-car user interface.
​​​​​
Old 06-25-2023, 05:48 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

I think the OP is asking for functionality comparable to the Performance Data Recorder (PDR) in the Corvette:

The PDR is not really a standard option on most "normal" GM cars - only the "performance"-oriented ones (Camaro, Cadillac, Corvette, etc), so this means that they were able to develop a robust in-car software UI for the PDR without being able to spread the R&D engineering cost over the entire GM product baseline. Porsche could probably do the same thing if they really wanted to (and/or borrow the excellent Virtual Cockpit software framework used in Audis), but they probably just don't care that much.

Old 06-25-2023, 05:58 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
I think the OP is asking for functionality comparable to the Performance Data Recorder (PDR) in the Corvette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxa...V0dGUgcGRyIGM4

The PDR is not really a standard option on most "normal" GM cars - only the "performance"-oriented ones (Camaro, Cadillac, Corvette, etc), so this means that they were able to develop a robust in-car software UI for the PDR without being able to spread the R&D engineering cost over the entire GM product baseline. Porsche could probably do the same thing if they really wanted to (and/or borrow the excellent Virtual Cockpit software framework used in Audis), but they probably just don't care that much.
Nope, not interested in that, even though it looks waaay cool and waaay over-the-top.

Sorry that the words I've chosen are sooo confusing.

Again, I am just looking for simple video recording using the existing optional Surround View cameras instead of the optional visually horrible Porsche Dash Camera system.

Zero in-vehicle user interface, just like the existing optional Porsche Dash Camera system, also just like all the aftermarket dash camera systems.

Either the existing horrible / clunky Porsche Dash Camera system user interface, or zero user interface and instead user accessible flash memory card for user removal from vehicle and installation into a PC computer.

Last edited by wingless; 06-25-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I have no interest in this kind of functionality. Porsche respects the privacy of its owners. Given that Tesla employees were caught watching footage recorded by the cars, this one is a hard NO for me.

In case anyone has forgotten...
https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...rs-2023-04-06/

You'll never see a dashcam in my cars either. I want to enjoy my car without any kind of digital paper trail -- friendly reminder that your own dashcam can be used against you and deleting your dashcam videos can be considered spoliation of evidence.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:42 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
I have no interest in this kind of functionality. Porsche respects the privacy of its owners. Given that Tesla employees were caught watching footage recorded by the cars, this one is a hard NO for me.
Valid concern.

Every single existing dash camera system, including the optional system offered by Porsche, is 100% offline, only with local flash memory storage. My request has been / remains for continuing w/ only offline storage, just like every other existing system.

For oh so many years I longed for retirement, when I could FINALLY discard my paid subscription tracking device / continuous monitoring device (commonly known as a smart phone). Since my retirement I've concluded that remaining in contact w/ the children, plus the navigation maps functionality are currently too essential for me to step away from that technology. I also do LOTS of Sirius radio through the smart phone.

Cheers to you for being able to live off the grid. (How were you able to reply to this thread though?)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:16 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Nope, not interested in that, even though it looks waaay cool and waaay over-the-top.

Sorry that the words I've chosen are sooo confusing.

Again, I am just looking for simple video recording using the existing optional Surround View cameras instead of the optional visually horrible Porsche Dash Camera system.

Zero in-vehicle user interface, just like the existing optional Porsche Dash Camera system, also just like all the aftermarket dash camera systems.

Either the existing horrible / clunky Porsche Dash Camera system user interface, or zero user interface and instead user accessible flash memory card for user removal from vehicle and installation into a PC computer.
I see what you are saying. I think the problem is that the surround view even by itself has quirks . I pulled into a parking lot that had a huge event with cones on the road everywhere . Immediately every alert went on as if the system was confused . They had it marked so that traffic could flow orderly but the camera system picked it up as dangerous . I believe other manufacturers have a huge advantage on Porsche in one area .. technology . As it is Porsche struggles with it . In short I dont think we will get it or if we do it will be just like all the other gadgets ,,, a disappointment.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:04 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Totally agree @detansinn , we have enough cameras recording us in our daily lives as it is. But this is RL where everyone that has a dashcam never speeds, never breaks any traffic laws and is never the cause of any accidents. The dashcam will magically only record others at fault.

Last edited by turbonator; 06-25-2023 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche AG - New Feature Request - Recording Roadway Cameras