Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a 992 Carrera hybrid?
Yes
12.40%
Maybe
25.97%
No
61.63%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Do you want a hybrid 992 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 09:22 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
That 2%, is probably not representative of the 911 or even the general sports car market, so it's not likely to die as quickly as you think. Porsche tried nixing the manual on their GT cars and it didn't work.
Yes, total car market is under 2% and dropping so the take rate is higher on 911's for sure. Where it gets complicated is when you start adding 15lbs of stuff in a 10lb bag. As far as I know the PDK features a space inside the transmission for an electric motor but not the manual. It makes sense to transition away from the manual when the whole powertrain configuration changes and there's justification to drop the manual. Just saying... I hope it's not true.
The following users liked this post:
RudyP (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 03:36 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

I started the thread because I genuinely had no idea what percentage of enthusiasts wanted a hybrid 911 Carrera (call it 911h). It's clear now that enthusiasm for a 911h is, at best, mixed (<40% are yes/maybe) and realistically pretty small (only 11% yes), but there seems to be a niche group that is willing to follow wherever Porsche leads and there is probably a product opportunity there.

I'm starting to suspect that the delay in releasing the 992.2 isn't supply chain (apart from 2020, 911 production has been a solid linear trend upwards, including 2021 and 2022) nor waitlists, but that Porsche has had to reconsider widespread adoption of hybrid in 911s. They will certainly have market research on what their customers want, and although Porsche has had moments where they definitely denied customers what they wanted, they can't really mess with 60%+ of the market of their core sports car.

I have two guesses as to what happens:

1. There is an additional hybrid model added to the 911 line (like the panamera and cayenne lineups). The enthusiasts can keep their manuals, and the progress-oriented can try a new technology. Everyone is happy.

2. The turbo models get the hybrid technology, and the Carreras continue on as-is. The turbo models are already bonkers and focused on maximum performance. A turbo buyer obviously doesn't care about manual transmission nor 2 wheel drive nor having the lightest 911 possible. They probably won't care about an extra battery thrown in to the drivetrain, especially if it nets an additional 100bhp and even sillier acceleration.

I have 100% certainty about one thing. I won't be buying a hybrid Carrera. I don't want the weight, I don't particularly care for battery power in a sports car, and since I plan on keeping my next 911 for a long time, I don't want the liability for replacing that hybrid system when it eventually fails.
Tedster (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 04:00 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

It's performative outrage. No different than 2017 with the move to forced induction. Porsche sold them anyway.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don't need a quicker 911, I need a better sounding one.
I keep considering the M Engineering Stage 1 tune, not so much for the tune, as some have posted that they open up the valves in Sport mode/PSE on and the sound is much improved. Not quite to the extent of upgrading physical exhaust components, but enough to make the car sound much better.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:26 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bwhale

I'm starting to suspect that the delay in releasing the 992.2 isn't supply chain (apart from 2020, 911 production has been a solid linear trend upwards, including 2021 and 2022) nor waitlists, but that Porsche has had to reconsider widespread adoption of hybrid in 911s. They will certainly have market research on what their customers want, and although Porsche has had moments where they definitely denied customers what they wanted, they can't really mess with 60%+ of the market of their core sports car.
I think you are spot on. Way back in 2019, for example, the “EV Macan” was already confirmed and Porsche had stated that the gas Macan would not be sold concurrently, with a launch of 2022 for the EV.

Well, the Macan is the absolute best selling model for Porsche, and it’s rather dumb business killing your best product, so now that talk is in the past. I fully expect to see the gas Macan survive well past the middle of this decade, even after the introduction of the EV.

Why? Because EVs are primarily a political, and not consumer driven decision, and there are huge barriers to adoption and charging for many potential customers.

I was censored on the Porsche Macan forum for saying this in 2020, but… I was right

Old 06-28-2023, 08:51 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Are you gay? I ask because this is the second unprovoked homophobic comment I've encountered on this forum coming from you. In case you didn't know, it is widely believed that homophobic behavior and speech is an indication of repressed homophobic tendencies, so when I read your comments, all I hear is "I'm gay". However, if you're not gay and you're just a backward relic, perhaps consider repressing your homophobic, racist and otherwise discriminating rhetoric and stay on the Porsche topic.

How do you like a thread more than once? Well said!
Old 06-28-2023, 08:54 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
I think you are spot on. Way back in 2019, for example, the “EV Macan” was already confirmed and Porsche had stated that the gas Macan would not be sold concurrently, with a launch of 2022 for the EV.

Well, the Macan is the absolute best selling model for Porsche, and it’s rather dumb business killing your best product, so now that talk is in the past. I fully expect to see the gas Macan survive well past the middle of this decade, even after the introduction of the EV.

Why? Because EVs are primarily a political, and not consumer driven decision, and there are huge barriers to adoption and charging for many potential customers.

I was censored on the Porsche Macan forum for saying this in 2020, but… I was right
I think you are right about the political nature of EVs, but this is nothing new in the age of technology.

We bought our Macan for it's dual purpose nature and how it drives. It's not a sports car, in my opinion, but some might see it that way. EVs are a bit of a mess right now, but time will dial that out and if solid state batteries become an economic reality, it will increase energy density by 50% or more without the need to keep temperatures tightly regulated. So, you may be right about the current state of things, but that will change and the rate of change is always accelerating.

Unless a new competing technology usurps the current trends, EVs will continue to gain momentum exponentially. This is simply the law of accelerating returns.

This means that at some point we will likely see electric propulsion in 911s at some point, but Porsche is going to hold out as long as possible. Meanwhile, test mules like the Macan and Cayman will help shake out the bugs so that when the transition happens for the rest of the Porsche line it will have the least amount of hiccups.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with my car just as it is and a newer hybrid version brings nothing to satisfy my own personal tastes. You palette may vary.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:58 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

I love my 992 and would not exchange it for a previous iteration 911. I suspect that is true for a lot of the people here but for some reason this thread sounds like a bunch of grumpy old men screaming "Hey Porsche, get off my lawn"!

If the 911 goes hybrid or electric, I would be very comfortable arguing that it was not because Porsche wanted to but because Porsche had to. Most products in our lives are forced to "evolve" as more and more mechanisms to improve safety are designed and then mandated. I may be dating myself, but I remember (as a child) all the adults bitching about the new shoulder belts and how over complicated and uncomfortable they were and why lap belts were just fine - if we wore them. Let's not even go to that annoying warning sound when you refused to use your seatbelt. But we all survived that debacle relatively unscathed and most of us wouldn't consider running down to the corner store without putting their seatbelt on. You can fight "progress", but you can't win.
Jeahbladejeah (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 11:40 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,250 Posts

So, no one here wants a 918?

Interesting.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:01 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Interesting.
No but I’d love a CGT!

Should have bought one when they were $400-500K..
bwhale (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 01:40 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
No but I’d love a CGT!

Should have bought one when they were $400-500K..
Same, would take it any day over a 918.
RudyP (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 02:41 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting.
I wouldn't really want a Formula 1 car either. I'd take the 992. If something is simple and good, that works for me.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:22 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 356 Posts

It's in interesting question which reminds me of the famous quote by Henry Ford,

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

I've been a stickler for low-weight and have been anti computer-aided systems for a long time, so the answer for me is a hard no. But on the scale of the customer base that Porsche has to think about and cater to, most buyers couldn't tell you how much a 911 weighs in the first place. As sad as it is, we are in the minority. So many people even on this forum are infatuated by straight line speed. It's a battle we're losing unfortunately.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 06-28-2023 at 03:24 PM.
RudyP (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 03:36 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Interesting.
I would DEFINITELY want a 918.
adrianp89 (06-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Do you want a hybrid 992 Carrera?