wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 02:43 AM
rlapporte
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default wheel weights

Hi All,
I'm building a 992 Carrera T and I'm torn on the configurator regarding wheels. I know that the aesthetics are subjective, but I'm curious if anyone knows the weights of the different wheels that are offered. The Carrera Exclusive Design are the only ones tthat are listed as forged, so I'm assuming they're lighter than the Carrera S and the RS Spyder options. I'd love to get some confirmation on this if possible. If they're considerably lighter, I might opt to dish out the extra bucks. If not, then I think this is one of the areas where I could save a bit and go with the standard.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 06-19-2023, 05:14 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

The Turbo wheels are also forged, although they're not a very popular wheel for whatever reason.

I ended up settling on the Carrera Classics for aesthetic reasons, but I was really torn between them and the Exclusive Design.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:08 AM
Aaron Lin
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rlapporte
Hi All,
I'm building a 992 Carrera T and I'm torn on the configurator regarding wheels. I know that the aesthetics are subjective, but I'm curious if anyone knows the weights of the different wheels that are offered. The Carrera Exclusive Design are the only ones tthat are listed as forged, so I'm assuming they're lighter than the Carrera S and the RS Spyder options. I'd love to get some confirmation on this if possible. If they're considerably lighter, I might opt to dish out the extra bucks. If not, then I think this is one of the areas where I could save a bit and go with the standard.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Plenty of car brands' (forged) genuine wheels are manufactured by Super Alloy Industrial (SAI). Surely they are a bit lighter in weight but not much lighter compare to other aftermarket forged wheels.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:43 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Hi All,
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Very good question. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a list of the different rim options and their weights.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:04 AM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Very good question. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a list of the different rim options and their weights.
This sounds like a good sticky topic. It would be great to see information about size, weight, type of construction etc. I would include tire weight in a separate table too.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

No one really knows.

Porsche does not publish this data.

Only way to do it is if someone bought all the different wheels, and weighed them.

Go ahead, you first.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:48 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

The Turbo wheel weights can be found online in other threads.

20 x 9 = 23.3 lbs
21 x 11.5 = 27.1 lbs

For the Carrera, the front wheels are 8.5 wide so will be slightly less.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:50 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

There is a similar thread over on the turbo sub-forum with a few members posting the weight of their wheels (actual total measured weight minus published tire weight for most). What has been reported thus far:

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-19-2023 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

It always pays to do a search before posting....

I contributed to this thread. Bottom line, nobody knows because nobody has weighed them. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1338...-s-wheels.html

I have a T and decided to go aftermarket. Given the price premium for non-S wheels, I'd rather spend that on an extra set that will undoubtedly be lighter. I ended up with a set of forged wheels that weigh 22F/25R with OE sizes and custom offsets. I recommend you consider this option. I expect to save about 5-8lbs per corner, as per the estimates on the thread above.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:19 PM
rlapporte
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Wilder

I contributed to this thread. Bottom line, nobody knows because nobody has weighed them. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1338...-s-wheels.html

I have a T and decided to go aftermarket. Given the price premium for non-S wheels, I'd rather spend that on an extra set that will undoubtedly be lighter. I ended up with a set of forged wheels that weigh 22F/25R with OE sizes and custom offsets. I recommend you consider this option. I expect to save about 5-8lbs per corner, as per the estimates on the thread above.
I did do research and I did come across the post that you shared, however it doesn't have the exact answer to my question. I've actually spent hours researching this, calling my salesperson, calling the parts department. No definite answers and the last post was 2 months ago, so I thought I'd throw it out there again.
The following 2 users liked this post by rlapporte:
CodyBigdog (06-21-2023), Wilder (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 07:27 PM
rlapporte
4th Gear

Can I ask you which brand you went with and why? (aesthetics, weight, etc)?
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:32 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Yes, but “quality” aftermarket forged wheels will run you $10k +.

I chose the Turbo wheels specially because they are forged and great value.

Found it difficult to have a $200k(cdn) car with cast wheels…..
Old 06-19-2023, 07:46 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I did do research and I did come across the post that you shared, however it doesn't have the exact answer to my question. I've actually spent hours researching this, calling my salesperson, calling the parts department. No definite answers and the last post was 2 months ago, so I thought I'd throw it out there again.
I feel your pain. A few of us really want that info and it doesn't exist. I'll DM you.

Originally Posted by repcapale
Yes, but “quality” aftermarket forged wheels will run you $10k +.

I chose the Turbo wheels specially because they are forged and great value.

Found it difficult to have a $200k(cdn) car with cast wheels…..
There are plenty of quality options in the $4k range. I've done a lot of homework on wheels over the years and my conclusion is that "quality" is mostly defined by marketing and not manufacturing or design.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 07:51 PM
rlapporte
4th Gear

I feel your pain. A few of us really want that info and it doesn't exist. I'll DM you.

There are plenty of quality options in the $4k range. I've done a lot of homework on wheels over the years and my conclusion is that "quality" is mostly defined by marketing and not manufacturing or design.
thank you.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:04 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

I agree, hence why I emphasized quality.
The correct term would have been “popular name brand that spends ridiculous amounts of money on advertising”.

Quick Reply: wheel weights