Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Gravel Destroyed my PPF….

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 04:31 PM
double-o-seven
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

In my observation, PPF installers can easily damage the underlying paint with "hidden" blade marks, that do not show at all until you look closely after the PPF is entirely taken off from the chassis.

It seems PPF installation fundamentally requires blading with a cutting knife on top of the chassis, so as long as humans are installing it, there is a good chance of blade marks hiding under the PPF layer. You won't see them until you take them off completely. For that reason alone, I only ceramic-coat my cars, which comes with no blade mark risks.
The following users liked this post:
zuffenluv (04-02-2024)
Old 12-24-2023, 05:42 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by double-o-seven
In my observation, PPF installers can easily damage the underlying paint with "hidden" blade marks, that do not show at all until you look closely after the PPF is entirely taken off from the chassis.

It seems PPF installation fundamentally requires blading with a cutting knife on top of the chassis, so as long as humans are installing it, there is a good chance of blade marks hiding under the PPF layer. You won't see them until you take them off completely. For that reason alone, I only ceramic-coat my cars, which comes with no blade mark risks.
+1….that’s why it’s crucial to find the right installer
double-o-seven (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 06:45 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 886 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
The Colgan Bra is not as dorky looking as I thought it would be. The fit is actually really good. They're made to order. It required a bit of stretching which the directions say is intended.
The brief manual does state the obvious direction not to leave it on with a wet backing. Except for the hood section, it only touches the plastic parts of the bumper cover. It does cover most of the parts that will normally pick up the most rock chips and bugs.
I guess so long as you don't think it looks dorky but to me, that looks absolutely hideous. If you are going for the test mule prototype camo look, then mission accomplished. As mentioned, these things are actually awful to the paint so while you may protect from larger rock chips, it's rubbing scratches into the clear coat. There are good reasons why these things fell out of popularity after the early '90s.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
NickM (12-24-2023), vg247 (12-24-2023)
Old 03-26-2024, 03:39 AM
Final_Final_v4
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 34 Posts

My PPF saved me today. I had to get on the freeway for 1 EXIT, and a rock truck about 1/8 mile up had sand and pebbles spewing out the back of it.

I was beside myself and could barely stand the thought of getting out of my car to take a look when I got off the freeway. It sounded so terrible to my ears!

Fortunately, The 'damage' is not that bad at all. There are some tiny marks in the nose clip film, and the hips got hammered from running over everything, but the film thats there also totally did it's job and saved the paint from disaster.

The unpainted lower lip plastic however must be pretty soft because it has a bunch of marks and in a few places it actually got dinged up a bit. All of the black plastic on the front seems pretty soft. If anyone knows of a plastic renewal product that can get the impact areas that look kind of gray now back to black it would be great. Otherwise I'll just replace the lip. I know it's not expensive.

Things could have been 100x worse, and now that it's about 10 hours after it happened, I'm realizing that, and I'm grateful that everything is OK.
The following 2 users liked this post by Final_Final_v4:
Icegrill (03-26-2024), TempeAndy (03-29-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:47 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Final_Final_v4
My PPF saved me today. I had to get on the freeway for 1 EXIT, and a rock truck about 1/8 mile up had sand and pebbles spewing out the back of it.

I was beside myself and could barely stand the thought of getting out of my car to take a look when I got off the freeway. It sounded so terrible to my ears!

Fortunately, The 'damage' is not that bad at all. There are some tiny marks in the nose clip film, and the hips got hammered from running over everything, but the film thats there also totally did it's job and saved the paint from disaster.

The unpainted lower lip plastic however must be pretty soft because it has a bunch of marks and in a few places it actually got dinged up a bit. All of the black plastic on the front seems pretty soft. If anyone knows of a plastic renewal product that can get the impact areas that look kind of gray now back to black it would be great. Otherwise I'll just replace the lip. I know it's not expensive.

Things could have been 100x worse, and now that it's about 10 hours after it happened, I'm realizing that, and I'm grateful that everything is OK.
Oh man, glad to hear you didn’t receive any major damage. This seems like such a regular occurrence with careless dump trucks on the freeways. Part of me thinks they know full well they are losing **** and are glad or simply don’t care.
Final_Final_v4 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 12:06 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 428 Likes on 256 Posts

I feel for you.

It’s a shame nothing is done to prevent debris from trucks spewing onto everyone’s cars. Regardless of the price of a car, no one deserves to have this happen.

I’m glad your PPF helped.
Final_Final_v4 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 01:57 PM
Awdnut
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 27 Posts

My Dakar is absolutely👍🏻 fully PPF’ed for the dirt😉

Last edited by Awdnut; 03-27-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Brainofjjj (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Loose Gravel Destroyed my PPF….