Sponsored by:

Loose Gravel Destroyed my PPF….

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernin
How can I remove them, once I get my car?
Believe it or not, I have found that wooden paint stirrer is soft enough and fits in my gaps quite well.
It takes a little patience to avoid scratch from the pebbles.
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Believe it or not, I have found that wooden paint stirrer is soft enough and fits in my gaps quite well.
It takes a little patience to avoid scratch from the pebbles.
Thank you again, that is really helpful, do you jack your car up, or just keep the car on the ground when doing this
Old 06-27-2023, 11:18 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

The protective qualities of Expel PPF recently exceeded my expectations. Driving on I-95 in South Carolina, a golf-ball size rock fell off a heavy equipment transporter, bounced off the road and onto my hood, flew into the windshield, and over the top of my car. I pulled into the next rest stop and found dents in the hood, gouged PPF, and damaged paint. The windshield survived unscathed because of a windshield protective film.

When the PPF shop removed the PPF, they found no sign of paint damage. A dent technician (The Dent Company, Tampa, FL) did his magic, and the car hood got new PPF.

A few thoughts:

At the time of the initial PPF installation, the AutoPaintGuard, (Tampa, FL) team recommended the thicker ten mil XPEL as I frequently travel on interstate highways. Thinner PPF may have allowed paint damage. I also had a second layer of PPF applied to the rear wheel fender's forward sections.

AutoPaintGuard gave the same advice regarding windshield protection. I agreed as I reasoned windshields get sandblasted, and the chips collection becomes annoying after a few years. I never anticipated fending off a rock at interstate speeds.

The Porsche Safeguard wheel dent protection policy didn't help. The policy requires the car to be at the dealership for the dent repair. The coverage has a provision that, under some circumstances, the dent repair can take place at an alternative location, but I couldn't get Safeguard's preferred tech to go to the PPF shop. Also, the dent claim must be on file before repair work. Photos and receipts don't matter. If you are okay with shuttling your car between the PPF shop and the dealer, you won't mind the Safeguard policy stipulations. I didn't bother with the Safeguard policy and paid for a dent technician recommended by AutoPaintGuard—excellent results and saved a few days of downtime.

The following 5 users liked this post by BudFox6:
Icegrill (06-27-2023), mashoutposse (08-01-2023), V999 (06-27-2023), Vernin (06-27-2023), Wilder (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 11:23 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernin
Thank you again, that is really helpful, do you jack your car up, or just keep the car on the ground when doing this
Please see the photo in this thread I created a while ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1342...y-apropos.html

It shows what I am talking about. No jacking is required.
Vernin (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 11:25 AM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

@BudFox6 I thank you for sharing your experience with both Expel and the windshield protectoer, that is exactly what I needed to know, thank you
Old 06-27-2023, 11:31 AM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shambler
Please see the photo in this thread I created a while ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1342...y-apropos.html

It shows what I am talking about. No jacking is required.
Thank you, yeesh that is frustrating that little rocks get stuck there.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:32 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts

The Colgan Bra is not as dorky looking as I thought it would be. The fit is actually really good. They're made to order. It required a bit of stretching which the directions say is intended.
The brief manual does state the obvious direction not to leave it on with a wet backing. Except for the hood section, it only touches the plastic parts of the bumper cover. It does cover most of the parts that will normally pick up the most rock chips and bugs.

Last edited by garthg; 06-28-2023 at 04:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
Vernin (06-28-2023), wingless (06-30-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 07:08 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 949 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Emosgarage
Thanks guys for the comments/suggestions. I am going to talk with my installer about options before trying anything on it. agree it’s supposed to self heal, so maybe some heat would help, but I’ll let them try it first.
piece of advice

If you do a re-install, ask your PPF guy to make the rocker / wheel hip area a separate, standalone piece of PPF. That way, they only have to rip off and reinstall a small piece instead of the entire large piece of PPF. My PPF guy did that and thought it was genius
The following 4 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
Schwarz992C4S (06-28-2023), Shambler (06-28-2023), Vernin (06-28-2023), vg247 (06-29-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 11:46 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
The Colgan Bra is not as dorky looking as I thought it would be. The fit is actually really good. They're made to order. It required a bit of stretching which the directions say is intended.
The brief manual does state the obvious direction not to leave it on with a wet backing. Except for the hood section, it only touches the plastic parts of the bumper cover. It does cover most of the parts that will normally pick up the most rock chips and bugs.

Hmmmm.
Vernin (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 12:21 AM
meyecul
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 212 Posts

[QUOTE=The Colgan Bra is not as dorky looking as I thought it would be. The fit is actually really good. They're made to order. It required a bit of stretching which the directions say is intended.
The brief manual does state the obvious direction not to leave it on with a wet backing. Except for the hood section, it only touches the plastic parts of the bumper cover. It does cover most of the parts that will normally pick up the most rock chips and bugs.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but I will say what everyone else here is thinking in that this is not good. Not just questionable looking, but more importantly in what its going to do to your paint overtime. The edges will fill with tiny grains of dirt, sand, etc and build up. even if you plan on removing after every drive and carefully cleaning the edges and putting back on, that will be bad with all the on and off marring it will do over time.

Last edited by meyecul; 06-29-2023 at 12:23 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by meyecul:
gthal (06-30-2023), Icegrill (06-29-2023), rasetsu (12-24-2023), tutis (12-25-2023), Vernin (06-29-2023), vg247 (06-29-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2023, 07:14 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Coltan bra still working

Bugs aren’t too heavy yet but at six hundred miles so far this trip it’s doing its job.

Last edited by garthg; 06-30-2023 at 07:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
Vernin (06-30-2023), wingless (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:07 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

has anyone had any luck getting the under sides of the rear bumper repaired to a smooth finish yet? a respray or can a good detailer fix?

i let mine get a few thousand miles on mine and need to do a rear PPF but noticed that road rash just on the ends of the rear bumper. anyone had any luck getting fixed?
Vernin (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 10:25 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
has anyone had any luck getting the under sides of the rear bumper repaired to a smooth finish yet? a respray or can a good detailer fix?

i let mine get a few thousand miles on mine and need to do a rear PPF but noticed that road rash just on the ends of the rear bumper. anyone had any luck getting fixed?
unfortunately, the impact on rear bumper edges need to be properly repaired prior to ppf installation

this can be accomplished two ways:

1. full repaint back to factory oem
2. a skilled spot blend repair where the chips are filled and the edge is repainted and blended into the rear bumper

option 1 will cost more, but it’s as good as new

option 2 is a great value and you could clear bra the entire rear bumper with the savings of not doing option 1 and the look should be the same as option 1

hope this helps

Vernin (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 12:38 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
This thread amuses me. I am on my 7th 911 in 45 years and I never put any plastic on them because I drive them and when they get gamey on the outside and inside, I sell them and get a new one. The interior wears out about the same time as the exterior - yet detailers have convinced many of you that you NEED to spend thousands on protection products....why? Take that $ 10,000 you spent for double plastic everywhere, ceramic coating on everything, whatever armor-nonsense they sold you for the interior, and put that in a stock fund account and it will be worth $ 20K in 7 years when you are ready for a new 911. You will not get $ 20K more for your "perfect paint". Why Snowflake your car? It's a mass produced machine, not some rare one-off and its going to get wear and tear on it. When you go to trade it in, the small paint chips don't matter - you get wholesale price based on auction prices and mileage.

You know why your car gets paint chips? Because it has big, wide tires that stick out from the wheel wells, a styling thing. The old 911's (like my first 1970 E) had skinny tires fulling enclosed in the fender, they didn't get paint chips from tires throwing up rocks. But some even want their wheels to come out further via spacers or offsets on custom wheels for an "aggressive" look. Go figure.

Lest you think I beat my cars, I don't. I also know you can never get depth of shine/sheen over plastic. Your PPF car will never look like this after a Swissvax job. You just can't get the pop out of the paint when you cover it with plastic. But to each their own, a few paint chips never bother me personally.

My thoughts exactly. Covering your paint with plastic reminds me of my grandma's leather couch covered in plastic or people who pay for leather interiors and put sheepskin covers over it. Does the sheepskin feel different over leather than cloth? I prefer to use a good hand application of carnuba or ceramic protectant like Shine Products Clutch and be wary of my surroundings when in comes to road hazards like gravel, and following closely behind other vehicles. Otherwise I bought my car to drive daily. I intend to drive it, enjoy it and not worry about it's value to the next owner if I ever sell it. Actually I have have two P- cars a 2011 Cayenne S which I have driven for 175K miles, use it as a beach and surf car now but with a little wax and detail once in a while. regular maintenance and modest level of care it still looks and runs great. See pics. Probably worth very little on the market but a lot of use still left in it. My 2017 991.2 GTS is my daily and for the first six months I worried a little too much about every little possible pebble, did want to drive it in the rain, worried about where I parked blah blah. NO FUN. While it may be an automotive work of art, it isn't some Rembrandt you put on display and look at that appreciates in value. They are cars meant to be driven hard, enjoyed and when they become a source of major expense, stress or inconvenience, then replaced. Pics attached, very recent, just regular care and maintenance no special films or coatings. The cayenne is 12 years old the GTS is now the daily with me driving at least 1000 to 1200 miles a month. I am in California and realize, dry and relatively nice weather most of the year helps. When I bought my GTS it was almost six years old and had only 18K miles on it. Someone actually paid $170K for a car to drive it 3K miles a year. I guess that turned into a great investment for me.

Vernin (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 12:59 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg

It is dorky looking. Life is short - enjoy your 911 in it's natural form.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dudewithout992:
CZS (06-30-2023), Vernin (06-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Loose Gravel Destroyed my PPF….