Sponsored by:

992 GTS cab vs 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 02:46 PM
MGentry
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 992 GTS cab vs 718 Spyder

I am currently using a 2014 Boxster S as my DD. It was supposed to be sold when I took delivery of a 718 Spyder a couple years ago. Through circumstances beyond my control, I ended up keeping both. This gave me the opportunity to compare both. The Spyder is clearly more fun to drive and a better car - except it is not a better DD. I have an opportunity to trade up for a 992 GTS cab. I've driven the 991.2 Targa S and the 992 C2 cab, but I haven't tried the 992 GTS. I've gathered from this forum that the GTS is much more firm than the S. Does anyone here have experience with the ride of the 992 GTS compared to the 718 Spyder.

If this particular 992 cab was an S or 4S, I probably would have jumped on it immediately, but I am a little hesitant to let go of my Spyder. For the price difference, I could keep my Spyder for weekends and replace my 981 Boxster with a CPO Macan or new i4.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:51 PM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd pick the Spyder simply because of that 4.0L in the middle.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 03:02 PM
Ricky_D
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 15 Posts

For me, the 911 is more attractive simply because it has cargo space behind the seats. Makes it a better all around daily driver and all purpose car.
The following users liked this post:
royalpar1 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 03:19 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

cab seats recline...open the top....recline the seat...look up...nice ... its a cab not a coupe, think differently

spyder...u cant.....forced to sit in driving position only ... crammed into someones box

911 has better looking tail lights, better body style on the sides
spyder and spyder rs are cool on the rear but u still have the 718 tail lights which are not as cool and the 718 side bodystyle.... may be thats a preference thing though

the real problem with 718s is the tail lights.................not cool.......911 taillights.....cool...worth the swap just so u dont have to look at the spyder taillights wwwhen u go into your garage

Last edited by porsche.earth; 05-13-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

718 spider is stiffer than a SPASM GTS. Not sure how your roads are but SPASM is perfectly livable as a daily if your roads aren’t littered with potholes. The extra room in the cabin for carrying stuff or occasional passengers is nice too.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:31 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

I have a 2020 718 Spyder and a 2022 992 GTS. Surprisingly, the ride of the Spyder is "better." The rear weight bias of the 992 is quite obvious. When I hit the same expansion joint in both cars, the Spyder remains level and composed but the GTS pitches. With the Spyder, it's just a small hit and it's over with without drama. In the GTS, the rear squats on impact so the car pivots nose-up (pitching motion), then settles. It's an odd (I guess because I never had a rear engined car before) and somewhat annoying sensation. I find the Spyder to be a more comfortable ride. If I'm driving at high speed on a road that is otherwise pretty smooth, but has noticeable expansion joints every 20' or so, the GTS squats the rear relative to the nose with every joint, and it gets tiresome. Fortunately the roads around here are generally pretty good.

I also find that the steering, the shifter, the clutch, and the handling are more precise and more enjoyable in the Spyder, not to a large degree, but it's certainly noticeable. Both cars are great, but the Spyder does everything just with just a bit more precision. But, the GTS is much quieter, and liveable on longer trips.

Because I'm retired and lucky, I often take one car on my favorite roads, then jump into the next and run the same route, so I have done many back-to-back comparisons.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 05-13-2023 at 04:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
catdog2 (05-14-2023), UncleDude (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 04:45 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 175 Posts

While everyone has their opinions on style and it's very subjective I think the spyder is one of the best looking cars on the market now or ever, would of bought one if not for one major shortcoming.

I drove back to back the Spyder and a 911S so not the same as the GTS but similar, ride quality was nearly identical in my opinion, that being said the route I was on was very smooth so not sure it's a good example of day to day roads.

My main take aways between the 2.

The 992 seems much more modern, a whole different level of tech, and more comfortable, I actually had to move the seat forward a bit.

The Spyder felt like I could do anything with it and it would follow those commands without argument, I drove it for a 1/4 mile and drifted it around a corner like it had been my daily for years. In my case though at 6 foot 6 I'm a bit too big for it, with the buckets and everything maxed back and down I just barely fit, to the point where if I added 5lbs over the holiday I would look like a fat guy in a little coat.

I don't have any regrets as I ended up with a PTS 992 S at under MSRP but if I were 3 inches shorter I would have bought the Spyder and never regretted it.

The following 2 users liked this post by SFAVGUY:
catdog2 (05-14-2023), Denny Swift (05-28-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 02:56 AM
MGentry
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the thoughtful and informed responses. I realize that part of the problem is that I when I took delivery of the Spyder, I still had the Boxster S in my possession, and thus available for direct comparison. If I'd sold the S first, I'm sure I'd be a happy Spyder driver now. I'm leaning toward keeping the Spyder and adding a DD. My wife and I enjoyed our 2017 Macan GTS, which I also got rid of when I got the Spyder allocation. I think I'll just enjoy the Spyder until I land a mythical Targa S allocation. *That* is what my wife wants.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS cab vs 718 Spyder