Sponsored by:

Surround view cameras intermittently don't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 04:42 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Time to try another dealer. The people you're working with clearly don't know what they're doing.

Don't write off the whole ownership experience because of one incompetent service department. That would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and one that could just as easily happen with any other marque. Do what you'd do with a persistent medical problem: get a second opinion.
Not remotely the same scenario or helpful.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:32 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Old 09-05-2023, 01:48 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Time to try another dealer. The people you're working with clearly don't know what they're doing.

Don't write off the whole ownership experience because of one incompetent service department. That would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and one that could just as easily happen with any other marque. Do what you'd do with a persistent medical problem: get a second opinion.
Unfortunately not practical as the next dealership is hours away and I don't have time for that.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:58 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Biohazard
It is one that I want. In my Macan I've gotten too close to curbs before. I have also not got as close as I'd like. Don't want that hassle with a 911.
Definitely get the option, it's one of the best (non performance) option you can get, IMO.

This issue is a freaky gremlin. Seeing as he's had cameras and control module replaced, there's something going on with the car that's causing it that may have nothing to do with the camera, but could be shorting something out, for all we know.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:01 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Update, after another 2 weeks a 2nd camera control module (price from Porsche $4,500, covered under warranty of course) showed up, was installed, and dealer called me saying it was fixed. Total time in the service department this time, 24 days, total time in all about 40 days. Cameras haven't worked since delivery. For those keeping score I have had 2 cameras replaced and 2 now camera control modules. I arrived to pick it up so excited,. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month, started it up, put it in reverse to head home, all cameras failed to function, exactly the same problem. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. I have been very patient with the service department, but I got angry. They were very apologetic. I'm back in my loaner car, an extremely underwhelming base macan on which I have driven 1500 miles over the course of the last 2 months. I am at a total loss. I waited 8 months for this car to be built to my spec, was so excited for it, it was supposed to be a fun experience for me, I've gone from telling myself it's no big deal, to being mildly annoyed, to the point where I now hate the sight of it. It's been nothing but a PITA with this stupid problem. I'm seriously considering lemon law-ing it. It already qualifies based on number of days being repaired.
This sucks, and i totally get how it's sucking the joy out of owning the car. My uneducated guess is you got some kind of electrical signal or short messing w/ the camera control module, and those are just near impossible to find. If it were me, i'd also explore lemon lawing it, or seeing if they Porsche would buy it back and give you a new one at the front of the line, or something similar.
The following 2 users liked this post by achilleas101:
Icegrill (09-06-2023), remington (09-11-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 03:29 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

That's what I mean. There is nothing wrong with the camera. Somewhere a rat has chewed on a wire, or a ground lug was never properly secured at the factory. The dealer clearly has not spent 30 seconds to check for either of these issues. If you otherwise enjoy the car, let somebody else try before giving up.

That's all I'm saying.
The following users liked this post:
remington (09-11-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 03:46 PM
Jetbox
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine did the same on my first Taycan, it was in the garage lot to try and fix it.The second one I didn’t bother to spec it, it’s not worth the heartache
The following 2 users liked this post by Jetbox:
Icegrill (09-06-2023), remington (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:10 PM
992Hellcat
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update, after another 2 weeks a 2nd camera control module (price from Porsche $4,500, covered under warranty of course) showed up, was installed, and dealer called me saying it was fixed. Total time in the service department this time, 24 days, total time in all about 40 days. Cameras haven't worked since delivery. For those keeping score I have had 2 cameras replaced and 2 now camera control modules. I arrived to pick it up so excited,. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month, started it up, put it in reverse to head home, all cameras failed to function, exactly the same problem. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. I have been very patient with the service department, but I got angry. They were very apologetic. I'm back in my loaner car, an extremely underwhelming base macan on which I have driven 1500 miles over the course of the last 2 months. I am at a total loss. I waited 8 months for this car to be built to my spec, was so excited for it, it was supposed to be a fun experience for me, I've gone from telling myself it's no big deal, to being mildly annoyed, to the point where I now hate the sight of it. It's been nothing but a PITA with this stupid problem. I'm seriously considering lemon law-ing it. It already qualifies based on number of days being repaired.
Hi, I finally got my car back. It was in the dealer for almost one month. To give you some background, they did several programming and resets, but that didn't help. They replaced the rear camera, but that didn't help either. Finally, they received word from Germany that they needed to replace the entire camera harness (wiring). I got the car back last week and the fault has not recurred since then. I hope this fixed it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Hellcat:
JamesfromSG (10-30-2023), remington (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:54 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Sounds like a bad batch of wiring harnesses is the likely problem, one that is affecting multiple owners. A lot of their harnesses were made in Ukraine prior to the invasion, so Porsche may have had to scramble for an alternate supplier on short notice.

If any of the cars are 2021 or earlier models, that would argue against that idea, of course.
remington (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:03 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 992Hellcat
Hi, I finally got my car back. It was in the dealer for almost one month. To give you some background, they did several programming and resets, but that didn't help. They replaced the rear camera, but that didn't help either. Finally, they received word from Germany that they needed to replace the entire camera harness (wiring). I got the car back last week and the fault has not recurred since then. I hope this fixed it.
Thanks for that info, you're really the first one I've heard from here that had the problem and had it fixed. The latest I have heard is the Factory rep said replace all the cameras that haven't been replaced, so that means a new rear and both sides. We will see. I am going to pass along your experience to the rep to see if that helps.

Last edited by remington; 09-11-2023 at 04:05 PM.
992Hellcat (10-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 01:35 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Latest development, and new thread, here. Spoiler alert, it didn't end well.
JamesfromSG (10-30-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 03:34 PM
longwayh
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same isse for my 992 C4 GTS since last november... I have been going to the dealer countless times and no solutions. In May they said they suspected to be the wires and they had the Germany sent over a set of wires (total 4), they first replaced 3 of them in late July because they said Porsche Germany sent 1 incorrect wire... I took my car and everything was fine for couple weeks til they notified me again saying they are required to replace all wires and HERE WE GO AGAIN. Now I need to send it back for them to do further test because they returned the replaced wire back to Germany...
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:03 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longwayh
I have the same isse for my 992 C4 GTS since last november... I have been going to the dealer countless times and no solutions. In May they said they suspected to be the wires and they had the Germany sent over a set of wires (total 4), they first replaced 3 of them in late July because they said Porsche Germany sent 1 incorrect wire... I took my car and everything was fine for couple weeks til they notified me again saying they are required to replace all wires and HERE WE GO AGAIN. Now I need to send it back for them to do further test because they returned the replaced wire back to Germany...
Thanks for your input. Was it a big deal technically to replace the wires? Do you know if it required substantial disassembly of the interior?

Quick Reply: Surround view cameras intermittently don't work