Sponsored by:

Default Sport Mode for 992?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 02:34 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
This is a common misconception. PASM, which is dynamically adaptive damping, is always ON. The button on the dash simply toggles between the Normal and Sport programs of the damper control. That being said, on the 992 as far as I know, only the Sport+ drive mode engages the Sport PASM program (or in Individual if you have it configured as such).
That's my experience also. Only Sport+ turns the dampers to full firm. Normal and Sport keeps damper in same settings (or at least the damper light does not illuminate and the ride feels about the same in both sport and normal modes).
Old 08-06-2023, 03:27 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
This is a common misconception. PASM, which is dynamically adaptive damping, is always ON. The button on the dash simply toggles between the Normal and Sport programs of the damper control. That being said, on the 992 as far as I know, only the Sport+ drive mode engages the Sport PASM program (or in Individual if you have it configured as such).
This is also what my SA told me but there is a noticeable difference in the ride quality when switching from normal to sport, the ride is definitely more compliant in normal mode compared to sport mode and then stiffer yet in sport plus.
I’ve experienced this with both 991.2 and 992 platforms and assumed the PASM is either not active in Normal mode or there are three settings for stiffness.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:10 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
This is also what my SA told me but there is a noticeable difference in the ride quality when switching from normal to sport, the ride is definitely more compliant in normal mode compared to sport mode and then stiffer yet in sport plus.
I’ve experienced this with both 991.2 and 992 platforms and assumed the PASM is either not active in Normal mode or there are three settings for stiffness.
Again, PASM is always active.

The Porsche literature is quite clear on this, there are two possible programs for the PASM: Normal and Sport. There might be some other factors that have an effect on your perception, such as the dynamic engine mounts for instance.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
As @CanAutM3 and @AlterZgo say PASM is always active; it's physically impossible for it not to be as the system is a combination of hardware (the shocks and associated kit) and software. For it to be 'not active' would be akin to swapping out the shocks for static ones.

There are only 2 settings for the system, normal or sports/firm. I will say though that at least in my car if I manually switch to the shocks to firm using the dash switch the car remembers that at startup unlike what happens when the drive mode is switched to Sport+.

One more comment - stiffer shocks do not always mean stiffer ride. On some surfaces, say ones with short/sharp bumps, the stiffer setting can improve the ride by controlling rebound better and reducing the 'bobbing' you get on those roads.

Quick Reply: Default Sport Mode for 992?