Sponsored by:

Default Sport Mode for 992?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
every modern car with "modes" I have driven is like this. they always start in normal/comfort and you have to toggle a switch or twist a dial to get it in full performance mode. I'm guessing it has to do with emissions, or maybe when someone unfamiliar drives the car they aren't throw in the "deep end". I never found it to be a real issue. twist and shout, as they say.
Or Porsche could do it like Ferrari does with the manettino. It's a physical switch that stays in whatever mode you choose until you physically move it to a different mode.
The following users liked this post:
johnohara (08-08-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:55 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Not that ChatGPT could ever be wrong, but here is the actual response. Did it discover something we don't know?

Q: How do I set Sport Mode by default in my 2023 Porsche 911?

A: The process for setting Sport Mode as the default mode on a 2023 Porsche 911 may vary slightly depending on the specific model and equipment. However, here are some general steps that you can follow:
  1. Start your Porsche 911 and ensure that you are in "Normal" driving mode.
  2. Press the "Sport" button on the center console to activate Sport mode.
  3. Press and hold the "Sport" button for a few seconds until you hear a beep. This will activate "Sport Plus" mode, which is an even more aggressive driving mode than regular Sport mode.
  4. With Sport or Sport Plus mode active, press the "Set" button on the lower right side of the center console.
  5. Use the up and down arrows on the center console to scroll through the different settings until you find "Sport Mode Default."
  6. Press the "Set" button again to select "Sport Mode Default."
  7. Finally, press and hold the "Set" button for a few seconds to confirm your selection and set Sport mode as the default driving mode.
Once you have completed these steps, Sport mode should be set as the default mode for your Porsche 911. Keep in mind that this will only apply to your specific key fob or driver profile, so if someone else uses your car with their key fob or profile, it will default back to Normal mode.

Last edited by Shambler; 05-02-2023 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Quikag (05-04-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Boy... tough crowd

Although it is really easy to just turn the ****, I also get the OP's interest in being able to set the default driving mode.
These replies just demonstrate that B. F. Skinner was onto something.

For those who don't like being conditioned to press one button to get their pellet, another for their water allotment, and another to set Sport mode every time they get in the car, there's T-Design. Do a search on that.

Originally Posted by F8Driver
OTOH, default normal is good for keeping the revs down until oil temp is good.
So is your right foot.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 05-02-2023 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 02:37 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ron4sc
It's not about how hard it is to manually turn the ****, it's more about feature-functionality. Why aren't the car settings saved along with the seat and mirror memory settings? It seems like an oversight tbh.
As others have stated, the car has to default to its most miserly settings (Normal, auto start/stop, etc) at every startup in order to gets its emissions and mileage ratings. If more aggressive settings could be saved, the emissions and mileage testers would use those settings and end up generating worse ratings for the car, higher taxes/fees for buyers, and lower sales for the manufacturer.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:41 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

No T-Design for the 992. I have it on my other 2 cars and like them.

cheers,
L76
Old 05-03-2023, 03:42 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Wow, that sucks, I didn't know that. Sorry. If you're not the sort to dig into the CAN/LIN bus and hack your way to a solution, there are few remaining options if the aftermarket lets you down.

As you can tell from the thread, most 'owners' have made their peace with their Skinner box. So the market for a button memory module may simply not be there.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 05-03-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:27 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Call M Engineering if changing it is worth $2500 to you. And Charles might not do it even if possibly because it is technically altering a emission device??? Not sure.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-04-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:32 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
….turning the **** makes me spill my macchiato. Anyone know of an aftermarket module to retain the last settings?

cheers,
L76
We do have the module for the IOSS **** they used before 992. We didn't have a chance to look at 992 **** yet
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 05-19-2023, 03:53 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Not that ChatGPT could ever be wrong, but here is the actual response. Did it discover something we don't know?

Q: How do I set Sport Mode by default in my 2023 Porsche 911?

A: The process for setting Sport Mode as the default mode on a 2023 Porsche 911 may vary slightly depending on the specific model and equipment. However, here are some general steps that you can follow:
  1. Start your Porsche 911 and ensure that you are in "Normal" driving mode.
  2. Press the "Sport" button on the center console to activate Sport mode.
  3. Press and hold the "Sport" button for a few seconds until you hear a beep. This will activate "Sport Plus" mode, which is an even more aggressive driving mode than regular Sport mode.
  4. With Sport or Sport Plus mode active, press the "Set" button on the lower right side of the center console.
  5. Use the up and down arrows on the center console to scroll through the different settings until you find "Sport Mode Default."
  6. Press the "Set" button again to select "Sport Mode Default."
  7. Finally, press and hold the "Set" button for a few seconds to confirm your selection and set Sport mode as the default driving mode.
Once you have completed these steps, Sport mode should be set as the default mode for your Porsche 911. Keep in mind that this will only apply to your specific key fob or driver profile, so if someone else uses your car with their key fob or profile, it will default back to Normal mode.
This did not work for me, I do not even have the "set" mode on the right side of my screen/center console that he is referring to....
Old 05-19-2023, 03:57 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Beware of ChatGPT. In many cases its just 'authoritative bullsh*t'
johnohara (08-06-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 04:55 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Not that ChatGPT could ever be wrong...

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
This did not work for me, I do not even have the "set" mode on the right side of my screen/center console that he is referring to....
Old 05-19-2023, 09:30 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Beware of ChatGPT. In many cases its just 'authoritative bullsh*t'
Agreed, thanks.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:38 PM
dbounds
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not really. My McLaren uses a physical **** and maintains the modes for most. Only exceptions are manual, active aero and dsc

Originally Posted by adm63
every modern car with "modes" I have driven is like this. they always start in normal/comfort and you have to toggle a switch or twist a dial to get it in full performance mode. I'm guessing it has to do with emissions, or maybe when someone unfamiliar drives the car they aren't throw in the "deep end". I never found it to be a real issue. twist and shout, as they say.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:11 PM
CREDEKER
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2021 992 4S. Previously in SPORT Mode the PASM would automatically engage (the red light would activate by the PASM button on the dash). It no longer automatically engages when I change to Sport Mode, and now I have to manually engage the PASM even in Sport. Should PASM automatically engage when putting the car into Sport Mode? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:32 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by CREDEKER
I have a 2021 992 4S. Previously in SPORT Mode the PASM would automatically engage (the red light would activate by the PASM button on the dash). It no longer automatically engages when I change to Sport Mode, and now I have to manually engage the PASM even in Sport. Should PASM automatically engage when putting the car into Sport Mode? Thanks.
This is a common misconception. PASM, which is dynamically adaptive damping, is always ON. The button on the dash simply toggles between the Normal and Sport programs of the damper control. That being said, on the 992 as far as I know, only the Sport+ drive mode engages the Sport PASM program (or in Individual if you have it configured as such).
AlterZgo (08-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Default Sport Mode for 992?