Sponsored by:

1k oil flush (do or don't)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 02:57 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
If the extra debris is filtered out by the oil filter, what really is the harm of not doing a super early oil change? Or am I missing something?
Probably the biggest risk is if some of that silicone makes its way into oil passages and potentially blocks something. Obviously, it doesn't happen too often or we would hear about it more, but for the cost of an oil change, it seems like money well spent. Depends on your risk tolerance I guess.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:09 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You're not missing a damn thing.
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Probably the biggest risk is if some of that silicone makes its way into oil passages and potentially blocks something. Obviously, it doesn't happen too often or we would hear about it more, but for the cost of an oil change, it seems like money well spent. Depends on your risk tolerance I guess.
Given how conservative Porsche is with the break-in period, I’m sure they’d recommend the early oil change if they believed it was needed. The other thing no one seems to talk about is that Porsche stress tests the engine at the factory so I bet a lot of that extra debris and all is released during the stress test. For the remainder, the oil filter must do its job.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:23 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Is the oil changed after the factory stress test dyno run? Most likely, I guess.

I know many of us, myself included, do used oil analysis and I can confirm that silicone is higher in the first oil change. Blackstone commented on it in my first analysis, and said it was typical.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Is the oil changed after the factory stress test dyno run? Most likely, I guess.

I know many of us, myself included, do used oil analysis and I can confirm that silicone is higher in the first oil change. Blackstone commented on it in my first analysis, and said it was typical.
I think what is not mentioned is that the amount of particulates will decrease over time with every subsequent oil change.

So the question becomes at what level of particulates or PQ or UC indices is acceptable? Because there's always going to be particles and metallurgical remnants ... that's sort of why there's a filter, I suppose.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

This begs the question - if we obsess enough about these cars to do a 4 to 5 figure PPF on the car why wouldn't we spend < $100 on a break-in oil change? 10 quarts of Mobile 1 0W40 is $60 at Walmart plus the Mahle oil cartridge
Old 04-24-2023, 03:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Well, my Blackstone report at 1,400 miles said:
"We expect to find extra silicon during the break-in stage; it's
just from harmless sealers/lubes used at the factory. It should wash out over the next few oil changes."

The number was 10 as compared to their universal averages number of 5.

For comparison, I pulled one of my reports from my GT350. The universal average for that car is 12. On my SECOND oil change at 2,700 miles (dealer did first one at 950 miles so I did not get an oil sample) the silicon was 21, then 4 subsequent oil changes had silicon numbers of 11, 8, 8, 8. (The 11 being the 3rd oil change, then all 8's.)

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 04-24-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
This begs the question - if we obsess enough about these cars to do a 4 to 5 figure PPF on the car why wouldn't we spend < $100 on a break-in oil change? 10 quarts of Mobile 1 0W40 is $60 at Walmart plus the Mahle oil cartridge
Good point.

So by that logic, why not just change the oil every 1k.

If a little is good, then a lot more should be better, no?

At some point there needs to be a little sanity in all of this. PPF, oil changes, break-ins, etc.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:35 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Good point.

At some point there needs to be a little sanity in all of this. PPF, oil changes, break-ins, etc.
Not to mention that some of us aren’t gonna get oil at Walmart and change it ourselves. So at minimum it’s gonna cost a few hundred to have someone do it. I wouldn’t wanna throw a few hundred dollars down the drain on anything unnecessary and this is no different. If Porsche recommended this, I would by all means do it.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,258 Posts

One note about Blackstone Labs' reference data that they call "Universal Averages"

You have to ask them how many "samples" they've accumulated in their data-base.
I called them up in regards to 992 GT3's and 781 GT4's for the 4.0 liter engine and it was such a small sample size (total of 63 samples for both as of 2/13/2023) that it really doesnt carry any significance at this point.

For now, it's kind of a "take it with a grain of salt" type of data. You might be happy to have the data, but it's just not reliable data yet.
Of course, they need more customers to send in their oil samples so that their data-base grows.
It's a "chicken" or "egg" kind of thing.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 04-24-2023 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 04:47 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

If the extra debris is filtered out by the oil filter, what really is the harm of not doing a super early oil change? Or am I missing something?
Good point.

The thinking is that the oil filter can get overwhelmed with the metal shavings - and remember, we are also talking differential here, where there is no filter.

But yes, you can change your oil too often - and that just harms the enviornment.

BUT..... back to the point of this whole thread (the 17th one on break-in). Times ARE different. In the old days, engines and differentials shed metal like cray cray - and you broke the engine in VERY differently than you did today. As noted on one of the posts above, most top notch engine builders a) Still recommend an early oil change and b) do not recommend a 2,000 mile break-in. As my friend said (who is one of the top names in high performance Japanese cars - primarily Supras) - the tolerances these days are just so much tighter.....

Now I hope I remember to bring in my Blackstone container tomorrow for my 2nd oil change.

PS - in case you are curious, below are my numbers at one year and 3,400 miles. Pay close attention to the Aluminum, Iron, Copper, and Tin numbers compared to the Universal Averages....

Last edited by doug_999; 04-24-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:56 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
One note about Blackstone Labs' reference data that they call "Universal Averages"

You have to ask them how many "samples" they've accumulated in their data-base.
I called them up in regards to 992 GT3's and 781 GT4's for the 4.0 liter engine and it was such a small sample size (total of 63 samples for both as of 2/13/2023) that it really doesnt carry any significance at this point.

For now, it's kind of a "take it with a grain of salt" type of data. You might be happy to have the data, but it's just not reliable data yet.
Of course, they need more customers to send in their oil samples so that their data-base grows.
It's a "chicken" or "egg" kind of thing.
I think you are confusing "Universal Samples" with "Samples from your vehicle make and engine type"

Edit - actually, I might be wrong here. Blackstone says
These averages are particular to your own vehicle, so you can compare your own engine’s average wear to national averages, which are what you see in the universal average column. Note that if you have two vehicles with the same engine, the unit/location averages will show average wear for both engines together. Your “fleet,” if you will.

But I'm going to ask to confirm

Last edited by doug_999; 04-24-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not to mention that some of us aren’t gonna get oil at Walmart and change it ourselves. So at minimum it’s gonna cost a few hundred to have someone do it. I wouldn’t wanna throw a few hundred dollars down the drain on anything unnecessary and this is no different. If Porsche recommended this, I would by all means do it.
Exactly.

I don't even own a screwdriver.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:11 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Good point.

But this is Rennlist and we are all a tad insane right lol?

When I was tracking my cars I had a ritual to do an oil change and bleed the brakes after every track weekend. That would be less than 1k miles if it was consecutive weekend. To me it was worth it. Same reason my wife buys our cat food that is $4 per can/per meal. Shes doesn't even spend that on my food
Old 04-24-2023, 05:17 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Yes, you should change your oil at about 1k miles or so to expel silicone. Straight from Corvette engineer's mouth:

https://youtu.be/zg6xa2caG-I?t=679

That is actually not his conclusion. He concludes (around 11:45) that is it s NOT necessary in most cars - unless it is a Subaru.

Last edited by Drew46; 04-24-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
But this is Rennlist and we are all a tad insane right lol?

When I was tracking my cars I had a ritual to do an oil change and bleed the brakes after every track weekend. That would be less than 1k miles if it was consecutive weekend. To me it was worth it. Same reason my wife buys our cat food that is $4 per can/per meal. Shes doesn't even spend that on my food
Well, yeah, I'd do an oil change after every 3 track sessions, but those are track miles, which are like dog years for cars.

And maybe tell your wife that you are her cat?

Quick Reply: 1k oil flush (do or don't)?