Sponsored by:

Break in period - real or myth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 01:25 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

These pictures say it all!

Oil filter housing. 201.7 total miles on engine.

Engine OUT!

Failure of the main bearing. Worst part of the ordeal is the position as the owner and how I'm at the mercy of Porsche and lack of concern by PCNA.

Jackie is out for blood!!

This could have been real bad. The engine did locked up and if I hadn't picked up on the issue so quickly I would have had the transmission lock up and lost control on the highway doing 70.

Last edited by EZ E; 04-22-2023 at 01:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:43 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I have yet to see proof that not following the break-in procedure puts the longevity of the car at risk.

First question from Porsche: you at the track? 2nd What were you doing? The computer showed everything normal and no issues. the computer can't see why a bearing would fail. The oil filter is the first place the dealership went. The rear wheels were locked! It needed skates. It's the luck of the draw. My car was a Friday car!
Old 04-22-2023, 08:01 AM
offminorthreat
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
If you're being serious why even have the car?
Being serious... I run a few cars and I would say in total I do between 6,000 to 8,000 kms a year. Might need to skew to the new 992.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
These pictures say it all!

Oil filter housing. 201.7 total miles on engine.

Engine OUT!

Failure of the main bearing. Worst part of the ordeal is the position as the owner and how I'm at the mercy of Porsche and lack of concern by PCNA.

Jackie is out for blood!!

This could have been real bad. The engine did locked up and if I hadn't picked up on the issue so quickly I would have had the transmission lock up and lost control on the highway doing 70.

If the bearing clearance was incorrect, assembly was done poorly, or parts were flawed, no amount of break in will save you.

Transmissions and differentials are likely more important to break in gently.

Engine break in is essentially rings at this point and those are long sealed by 100 miles.
Anyone with knowledge of engine mechanics and experience building them will tell you that 2000 bloody miles are wholly unnecessary. The manual, if you havent noticed, has 4 million warnings down to dont wrap the seat belt around your neck and slam on the brakes. You dont think the suggestion that you drive gently might be due to lawyers not wanting you to go out and pound your new car into a tree at full throttle. If nothing else, the mold release on new tires would be enough to go a bit easy.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 04-22-2023 at 12:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
540gone (04-22-2023), minn19 (04-22-2023), Ray K. (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 12:12 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

All my previous new performance cars that had manufacturer recommended break in procedures were purchased 350 kilometres away from my residence and the break in period was on a 3-4 hour non stop drive home, I always followed the break in advice during the drive home and didn’t notice any difference in the first few hours because of the highway driving.
My recent TTS was trailered to me and the first time I took it for an hour and ten minute drive I could smell a lot of hot metal, rubber etc.
The second one hour trip was the same and the VOC odours were intense, on the third one hour trip I took the odometer from 170 to 240km and the smell was gone and the drivetrain is already feeling different.
I have noticed a difference in how the drivetrain feels and even how the exhaust sounds with previous cars as they break in but the smell and odour thing is a first, I hope the odours really were the engine and exhaust breaking in and wasn’t something else burning off that shouldn’t have, the car has been perfect so I do think it was just normal burn off that you would only notice if you weren’t driving at higher speeds.

Last edited by 992.Turbo.S; 04-22-2023 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992.Turbo.S:
Gr33n (04-25-2023), Tedster (04-30-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 12:28 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

So they recommend not using it at the track or sporting events for the first 3K. But don't they use new cars for their Driver Experience programs? That type of driving can't be good for a new car, then they sell them off as CPO.
incoming992s (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:05 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If the bearing clearance was incorrect, assembly was done poorly, or parts were flawed, no amount of break in will save you.

Transmissions and differentials are likely more important to break in gently.

Engine break in is essentially rings at this point and those are long sealed by 100 miles.
Anyone with knowledge of engine mechanics and experience building them will tell you that 2000 bloody miles are wholly unnecessary. The manual, if you havent noticed, has 4 million warnings down to dont wrap the seat belt around your neck and slam on the brakes. You dont think the suggestion that you drive gently might be due to lawyers not wanting you to go out and pound your new car into a tree at full throttle. If nothing else, the mold release on new tires would be enough to go a bit easy.
All, read above. Spot on

Now if someone can tell me why the first oil change is at 10k and differential oil is not changed along with some sort of scientific reasoning, I would appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:17 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
So they recommend not using it at the track or sporting events for the first 3K. But don't they use new cars for their Driver Experience programs? That type of driving can't be good for a new car, then they sell them off as CPO.
At the Blackwing driving school I asked the instructor what they did and he said they get the cars for personal use until they are broken in per the manual. So who knows...

Then they get beat on.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:02 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 222 Posts

An older friend with many cars spec'd told me that the buying the car was a big part of the fun. I thought that was stupid. But then i spent 8 months waiting for Christmas day. that is special as a grown up with very little left that is exciting like that.
Now that I have my car, I know that not following break in is not going to make a bit of difference to my ownership. We were thrashing the living **** out of GT3 last summer with 60 miles on it for a full track day.
However, I am following breakin on my car a bit - the delayed gratification is like foreplay.
Crossed 600 miles today and taking it over 6k is was pretty sweet - unlocked a new segment of the torque curve and the exhaust. Going to make myself wait a week to take it over 7k.
Have fun. These are just machines.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orca911:
remington (04-22-2023), ZacapaXO (04-25-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 10:14 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
An older friend with many cars spec'd told me that the buying the car was a big part of the fun. I thought that was stupid. But then i spent 8 months waiting for Christmas day. that is special as a grown up with very little left that is exciting like that.
Now that I have my car, I know that not following break in is not going to make a bit of difference to my ownership. We were thrashing the living **** out of GT3 last summer with 60 miles on it for a full track day.
However, I am following breakin on my car a bit - the delayed gratification is like foreplay.
Crossed 600 miles today and taking it over 6k is was pretty sweet - unlocked a new segment of the torque curve and the exhaust. Going to make myself wait a week to take it over 7k.
Have fun. These are just machines.
Hear, Hear. Do what you want. MERICA.
ZacapaXO (04-26-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 07:48 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I have a total noob question. Should you vary driving modes during break in? Or does it not matter?
Old 04-23-2023, 11:28 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I have a total noob question. Should you vary driving modes during break in? Or does it not matter?
doesn’t matter. Just vary revs. I kept mine under 4k for the drive home from PEC (500 miles).
Old 04-24-2023, 09:07 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
All, read above. Spot on

Now if someone can tell me why the first oil change is at 10k and differential oil is not changed along with some sort of scientific reasoning, I would appreciate it.
Because engine oil is slowly contaminated by gas, water and carbon which turns the oil acidic and drops it below viscosity over time and mileage. Transmissions and differential fluids are not effected by gas, water and carbon so last longer.
Staffie Guy (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Because engine oil is slowly contaminated by gas, water and carbon which turns the oil acidic and drops it below viscosity over time and mileage. Transmissions and differential fluids are not effected by gas, water and carbon so last longer.
Um... while you are correct - the main reason for early oil changes and/or differential fluid changes is because of the wear/metal shavings that are a natural by product of a new engine/differential - and thus the entire thread Most high performance cars have early oil and diff changes.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:12 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
If you're being serious why even have the car?
I think many people here have several cars in their garage. And there is only so much time to play with any one toy.
AdamIsAdam (04-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Break in period - real or myth?