Sponsored by:

992 Paddle Shifter with same feel and sound as GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 05:35 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Thanks for the write up. Where did you order the wheel from?
Protechparts on eBay, he also has the Weissach shifters in stock.

His wheel upholsterer, per him worked in the Porsche factory for 15years before going out on their own. Perfect match for the RaceTex and the Carmine Red stitching.

I couldn’t find anyone in the states that knew the difference between Carmine & Guards red.
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 05:18 AM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsobocop
Protechparts on eBay, he also has the Weissach shifters in stock.

His wheel upholsterer, per him worked in the Porsche factory for 15years before going out on their own. Perfect match for the RaceTex and the Carmine Red stitching.

I couldn’t find anyone in the states that knew the difference between Carmine & Guards red.
Just found out he has a website too: protechpartseu.com

https://protechpartseu.com/products/...agnetic-paddle He has this wheel with yellow 12 o’clock marker, Carmine stitching, and Weissach paddles for less than I paid… ouch lol! J/k I get it though, he doesn’t need to give eBay a cut for direct sales so he’s just passing along the savings.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:14 AM
Airbus Raider
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Paint +|- yellow to red

Originally Posted by Tsobocop
Got the Weissach versions (off eBay) installed finally, along with a custom steering wheel to match my GTS interior package.

I put some vinyl stickers to cover the +/- yellow paint, but need to get some matte vinyl as I’m not digging the gloss (and some yellow still shows)

FF: fun fact, the 1995 Ferrari F355 F1 Berlinetta was the world's first car to feature a paddle-shift transmission

I purchased both the Weissach RS shifters and JQ Werks, (and the YT video is taking longer than expected) and here’s my comparison:First, let’s talk about the Sound: the Weissach paddles have a much more metallic-sounding click. This is extremely subjective, but I personally prefer the raw click sound of the Weissach paddles.

JQ: 0

OE: 1

Mechanical properties: Both have about 2mm of travel, which lends to a precise, quick and sharp movement of the paddle when actuated. Interestingly, the Weissach shifters’ fulcrum is at the rear of the assembly, while the JQ Werks’ fulcrum is in the middle. This is a tie for all intents and purposes - one point each

JQ: 1

OE: 2

Fit and Finish: Comparing the fit and finish, and premium-ness (is that a word?) of the shifters, I’d have to give it to Porsche. That’s no knock on the JQ Werks quality here, but rather an incredibly high bar set by one of the most premium car brands in the world, on their flagship version of a flagship model. Also, some feedback upon heavy duty use of the JQ Werks is that the screws need frequent re-tightening.

OE: 3

Design: The Weissach paddle shifters, speaking about the housing/assembly and not the paddles in particular, are a work of art. They are curvy and angular at the same time. The JQ Werks are a bit more squared off and boxy in comparison. Let’s be real, though, you don’t see the side of your steering wheel, from behind the wheel, all that often. Maybe your passenger would appreciate that vantage point a bit more? Speaking about the paddles, the Weissach shifters look glorious. There’s a reason that JQ Werks went through the significant trouble of imitating the Weissach design, offering them as a premium add-on. Its because they look amazing, and from the moment I saw them, I wanted them, and I paid a pretty penny for the privilege of owning them too…

OE: 4

Affordability/Availability: Which leads me to the next category. This is a rather easy point to JQ Werks. Over $1K for the Weissach after tax vs $533 for JQ Werks. While the Weissach is now available on Suncoast, it’s unknown whether there is a significant wait time. Theyre

JQ: 2

Weight: The JQ Werks are manufactured from a CNC machined 6061-T Grade Hard Anodized Billet Aluminum cage, and high-strength integrated 4mm-thick Carbon Fiber plate shifters, and weigh in at a svelte 86 grams. However, the Weissach PDK shift paddles are fabricated in magnesium with rear milling to make them even lighter. Magnesium just so happens to be the lightest of all the metallic elements, which is why it’s so popular for use in vehicles and aircraft. In fact, Magnesium alloys weigh about 1.75 to 1.85 grams per cubic centimeter, vs 2.5 to 3 grams per cubic centimeter for aluminum alloys, and 7.8 grams per cubic centimeter for steel for comparison. Surely, with their Magnesium shift paddles, the Weissach versions should be lighter than a feather, let alone their billet aluminum counterpart, right? You might be surprised to learn that the Weissach paddles tip the scale at an ever so slightly heftier 89 grams. Surprise point to JQ Werks.

JQ: 3

Features: Both have magnetic technology pulled from Formula One. However, one significant way in which these shifters differ, is that the JQ Werks mechanism is designed with fore/aft and lateral adjustment that affords adjustability to where the paddles rest relative to your fingers on the wheel. Given we all have different hand sizes, this is a terrific part of their design. I give it to JQ Werks, bringing the final total to 4 each - a tie!

JQ: 4

In conclusion: Though these may have tied in the comparison, for the quality, the technology, and importantly, the price, the JQ Werks are the smart purchase and in my view the clear winner.

At the end of the day, for me at least, this mod is about engagement with, and enjoyment of the vehicle, and while I feel that the upgrade to magnetic shifters is a great way to add some fun engagement with this car I already love so much, there is no justifiable or additional enjoyment proportional to the additional expenditure of the Weissach paddles. Any rational person would keep the extra money in their wallet and get every bit as much enjoyment out of the JQ Werks paddle shifters.

So the only question is… am I rational?

No… no I am not

After a long and expensive road - mod complete ✅
How did you turn YELLOW to RED? Thank you.
evanbahr (01-04-2024)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:48 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Airbus Raider
How did you turn YELLOW to RED? Thank you.
If you’re referring to the +/- it’s some vinyl stickers provided by protechparts; he said that most ppf/vinyl wrap shops have a laser cutter and should be able to make these if given the measurements
Old 07-01-2023, 06:12 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

@eclou is the man, came over and did the install. Just a note (unless I missed the post) but instead of a rubber washer my paddles had tape on the end to keep the shifters snug.

Shifter feel is night and day. Love it.

Last edited by Malakas; 07-01-2023 at 06:23 PM.
mattchow (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 11:49 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Awesome, thanks. Looks like I’ll be heading to Hobby Lobby for some yellow paint to knock this out this weekend
Well, after a busy Summer, I finally got over to Hobby Lobby to pick up the necessary supplies to paint my + and - symbols yellow to match my yellow Tach, Chrono and deviated sticking package in my 2023 Gentian Blue Turbo S Cab. Im really happy with how these have come out, so now that Im all done with the paint Im looking to install these this week!

Last edited by North Shore 911; 07-23-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:45 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

glad everyone is enjoying them!
Old 08-04-2023, 07:27 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, I finally installed these today…. They look awesome and feel great when you shift. These should DEFINITELY be installed as standard on these magnificent cars!

The following 2 users liked this post by North Shore 911:
Malakas (08-04-2023), Yojeffo (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 09:06 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mattchow
glad everyone is enjoying them!
They're awesome. I actually use manual mode now... Id say nearly 50% of the time. It's so nice to have the power ready to snap.
mattchow (08-05-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 12:10 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

available on our shop now https://protechpartseu.com/products/...addle-shifters
mattchow (09-21-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 06:03 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,069 Posts

My right, upshift paddle was working intermittently today. I've reached out to JQ about warranty support.
mattchow (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 11:51 AM
MY GT3
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Lesson learned! Do Not Buy from Protechparts EU!!! They sell defective parts (advertised as NEW) and won't exhange for a good one because they don't have one.

Their business model is to sell (defective parts) at a cheaper price point than authorize Porsche dealers like Suncoast Porsche. The products they sell don't come with genuine Porsche labeling & packaging, because the parts did not pass OEM QC test standards and they source these failed products to sell customers.

Ordered a set of OEM 992 GT3RS weissach magnesium shift paddles drom them on Nov 29th. Received them on Dec 9th, opened the package right away to check the paddles, found a verp deep scratch (black paint ripped off) on the backside of LEFT paddle, took photos immediately and sent to protechparts EU by e-mail. Requested for exchange of the LEFT paddle, his reply was discriminatory and irresponsible (email screenshots attached). The product link clearly states that a defective part can be return and exchange. But he's not responding to my request, tried to call the phone number on the invoice, rang for long time & not answered, call for second time,my phone number was blocked.

Advice for all Porsche car owners,my pain is your gain, buy parts from a legitimate Porsche dealer. I won't be the last victim, spread the word about Protechparts EU "exccellent" customer service.

​​​​
vg247 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 12:04 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Please stop messaging us.We are not responsable on what happened to your paddle set.Either customs,courier or screwdriver on install is not our problem.Every paddle set or steering wheel we send to customers are brand new and well inspected even on how they sound and work mechanic.We even offered a 100eur discount to get another pair.This is not a section for complaints,we have enough customers and friends to aprove our quality.Thanks.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:22 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by ProtechpartsEU
Please stop messaging us.We are not responsable on what happened to your paddle set.Either customs,courier or screwdriver on install is not our problem.Every paddle set or steering wheel we send to customers are brand new and well inspected even on how they sound and work mechanic.We even offered a 100eur discount to get another pair.This is not a section for complaints,we have enough customers and friends to aprove our quality.Thanks.

For real?

I am not sure what expectations are overseas, but in the United States when a customer orders something and it arrives damaged the retailer works with the vendor and or shipper to make things right.

There is also no reason to make the implicitly racist statement that suggests the customer is trying to create knockoffs of these shift paddles. Thanks for showing your true colors so everyone knows where not to order things from in the future.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:07 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by malba2366
For real?

I am not sure what expectations are overseas, but in the United States when a customer orders something and it arrives damaged the retailer works with the vendor and or shipper to make things right.

There is also no reason to make the implicitly racist statement that suggests the customer is trying to create knockoffs of these shift paddles. Thanks for showing your true colors so everyone knows where not to order things from in the future.
We always help customers and even changed paddle sets that had sound differences when clicking on our cost.Steering wheels also.Now we check every paddle set even on sound,if we ever had any with very very small visual defects from storage we sold them at discounts with real photos and trust me those sold in the same day.When a clients sends a photo with a paddle with a scratch like that it can only be from bad instalation like a hard hit,other option people try is to send back paddles that they bought from other places with problems-chipsets can be swapped easily between them to be same manufacture code.We are not giving free paddles away this Christmas sadly.Past customers can confirm our quality is not different from a dealer.No one racist here,we actually had past customers that replicate bmw,mercedes and we sent items to them that were just released no problem there,problem is when part is damaged on return and it left brand new.

Quick Reply: 992 Paddle Shifter with same feel and sound as GT3RS