Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Paddle Shifter with same feel and sound as GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 12:40 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Isn’t this one of the best, reasonably priced, mods for this car? I’m loving it and can’t wait for the RS style shifters.
The following users liked this post:
mattchow (05-26-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 05:03 PM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Default They’re HERE

Today the GT3RS style shifters arrived. Really simple to install, the hardware and tool needed for the install are included. Of course I am pairing the + and - signs on yellow to match accents in my car. More pics to follow after the painting. I don’t know why I weighed them, but they weigh 25g each. You can order them directly from JQ’s website and get a discount because of the group buy that was organized by a fellow Rennlist member. Let’s jump on this, quantity is limited and you don’t want to get stuck waiting for back orders to clear.

mattchow (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 06:14 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I installed them today. Feels finished and complete now.

The magnetic shifters are neat, but no way I’d spend over $1k on a set, OEM or not.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:07 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I installed them today. Feels finished and complete now.

The magnetic shifters are neat, but no way I’d spend over $1k on a set, OEM or not.
IYO Are they worth it at the price we paid? I havent gotten around to installing them and may just sell them.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:29 PM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I couldn’t wait. I painted the +/- signs with yellow acrylic paint, topped it with glossy nail polish. I removed the steering wheel again, you don’t have to. I did it to throughly clean the alcantara and to tighten the bolt correctly. I didn’t have the right torque wrench the last time I went through this.

You can do it without removing the wheel, just adjust the throw first to be able to get into the tough space.

Simply love it, the easiest and most rewarding mod to the 992.

The following 3 users liked this post by Z911:
dixonk (06-02-2023), mattchow (06-03-2023), RolandT (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:10 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Shogunade
IYO Are they worth it at the price we paid? I havent gotten around to installing them and may just sell them.
I’m on the fence about it, but largely depends if you drive in manual mode often or not. The shifters feel complete now with the new 3RS style paddles.

For instance, the Cargraphic valve controller changes your driving experience, whereas the shifters enhance the driving experience.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:47 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Z911
Ok, so I couldn’t wait. I painted the +/- signs with yellow acrylic paint, topped it with glossy nail polish. I removed the steering wheel again, you don’t have to. I did it to throughly clean the alcantara and to tighten the bolt correctly. I didn’t have the right torque wrench the last time I went through this. You can do it without removing the wheel, just adjust the throw first to be able to get into the tough space. Simply love it, the easiest and most rewarding mod to the 992.

Z911 - These look great! I jumped on the group buy for the shifters last month but have waited to install these until I also bought and received these new GT3 paddles which were delivered yesterday. I also have the yellow Tach and Chrono on my Turbo S Cab and love the look of the yellow + and - on the paddles. However, because I am not crafty in any way, do you mind quickly explaining how you painted these so I can do the same before I install them? TIA for any help for a non-artistic kind of guy like me
Old 06-02-2023, 01:26 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Z911 - These look great! I jumped on the group buy for the shifters last month but have waited to install these until I also bought and received these new GT3 paddles which were delivered yesterday. I also have the yellow Tach and Chrono on my Turbo S Cab and love the look of the yellow + and - on the paddles. However, because I am not crafty in any way, do you mind quickly explaining how you painted these so I can do the same before I install them? TIA for any help for a non-artistic kind of guy like me
This should be super easy even for someone who's not artistic. Think of it as a model toy. Get some testors model paint and a narrow paint brush. The + and - are stamped so that'll be your saving grace. Just get the paint lightly inside and whatever gets on the raised outer part of the paddle can easily be rubbed off with nail polish remover. Repeat this once or twice more. Very thin light layers are key here.
Yojeffo (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:59 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Today the GT3RS style shifters arrived. Really simple to install, the hardware and tool needed for the install are included. Of course I am pairing the + and - signs on yellow to match accents in my car. More pics to follow after the painting. I don’t know why I weighed them, but they weigh 25g each. You can order them directly from JQ’s website and get a discount because of the group buy that was organized by a fellow Rennlist member. Let’s jump on this, quantity is limited and you don’t want to get stuck waiting for back orders to clear.
Originally Posted by Shogunade
Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’m on the fence about it, but largely depends if you drive in manual mode often or not. The shifters feel complete now with the new 3RS style paddles.

For instance, the Cargraphic valve controller changes your driving experience, whereas the shifters enhance the driving experience.
Can I get your guys opinion on this a bit further?

I bought the paddle shifters from the original group buy. The CF ones look real good. I'm just wondering what really is the benefit of the 3RS style paddles? Is the feel different than the CF ones included in the original buy? Or is it merely cosmetic?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2023, 04:13 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Can I get your guys opinion on this a bit further?

I bought the paddle shifters from the original group buy. The CF ones look real good. I'm just wondering what really is the benefit of the 3RS style paddles? Is the feel different than the CF ones included in the original buy? Or is it merely cosmetic?

Thanks!
I always felt that the CF paddles looked a bit out of place, especially since my car has no CF. They belong in like a race car with a yoke for a steering wheel. The 3RS paddles really complete the "from factory" look, and the rounded and thicker edges don't blade into your fingers under use like the CF ones do. I wish they were an inch longer on the bottom end, but who doesn't?
Old 06-03-2023, 12:58 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Great to hear that you're excited about the shifters and paddles! To paint the +/- symbols on the paddles, I recommend using acrylic yellow paint from a craft store. Instead of a small brush, use a toothpick for more precise application.

After the paint dries, you can add a shiny finish by applying clear gloss nail polish using a toothpick. If there are any areas that need cleaning up, you can use a toothpick with nail polish remover again. I hope these instructions help you out. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!
Yojeffo (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 01:13 AM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm considering buying them as well, but before that, would anyone here be so nice and confirm that they work / click way nicer than the factory installed ones? I'd be insanely thankful for detailed info about the difference
Old 06-03-2023, 02:04 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by pman3
I'm considering buying them as well, but before that, would anyone here be so nice and confirm that they work / click way nicer than the factory installed ones? I'd be insanely thankful for detailed info about the difference
They 100% work, and click way nicer than the stock shifters.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6mUjPvP2YcA?

Last edited by shrimp money; 06-03-2023 at 02:06 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
4seater (08-11-2023), AlterZgo (06-17-2023), pman3 (06-03-2023), teknikk7 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:07 AM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

@shrimp money thank you so much for the reply and for posting the video!! I really appreciate it ❤️
shrimp money (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 06:26 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 202 Posts

Great to hear that you're excited about the shifters and paddles! To paint the +/- symbols on the paddles, I recommend using acrylic yellow paint from a craft store. Instead of a small brush, use a toothpick for more precise application.
After the paint dries, you can add a shiny finish by applying clear gloss nail polish using a toothpick. If there are any areas that need cleaning up, you can use a toothpick with nail polish remover again. I hope these instructions help you out. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!
Awesome, thanks. Looks like I’ll be heading to Hobby Lobby for some yellow paint to knock this out this weekend

Quick Reply: 992 Paddle Shifter with same feel and sound as GT3RS