Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 T vs 992 S - How different are they in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:00 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Hi everyone

So I got to test drive 992 C2 and 992 C2S. I understand now the difference. Even when stepping on the gas you can feel the additional power of S. I test drove the C2 first and enjoyed it. There were areas of road where I fully stepped on the gas pedal and could feel the car pulling. But it felt manageable. I drove the C2S next and holy! Same road, stepped on the gas and the car would become a rocket. I don't understand how much difference HP can make but it did!

Now I did step back into C2 after C2S. Oddly it did not feel like I'm in a slower car. It's still really good. However, I don't think I was still doing a fair comparison: On an empty stretch the HP does make a huge difference, no doubt about that. However the C2S had the PSE which is soo much better than normal exhaust. More than that, C2S also had the GT Steering Wheel instead of standard. That also makes a huge difference!

I don't think $17K to $20K upgrade to S is making sense in my case today. There's another $4K deposit which my T dealer won't give back so it's going to become another chaos. The S offered to me is basically a 2023 with $8K ADM which brings it to 2024 pricing.

It was a fun adventure today.
The following 5 users liked this post by itrocks4u:
aggie57 (04-13-2023), johny221 (04-13-2023), Macboy (04-13-2023), Pivot (04-13-2023), TK42ONE (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:23 AM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
I let go of my allocation for that reason. When I was building my spec the seats were not available. On top of that the PCCBs were not either. This is 2 months ago. I kept my 4S 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think you’re a bit confused. The PCCBs were never advertised for the 992 T.
The following users liked this post:
Porsch (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:25 AM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
If you can afford to buy the S, I'd suggest you don't think about the T in terms of saving money but in terms of what you get vs the S. I decided on the T because I wanted to buy a new car that was reminiscent of older more raw 911s. Pretty difficult feat but the T is the closes one can get from the Carrera lineup. It has the suspension bits from the S, the lowest weight, the most responsive engine due to smaller turbos which both sound and feel the most like an NA car, and things like no rear seats and lightweight glass which makes it noisier and more spartan. If these are the kind of things that appeal to you, definitely look closer at the T. If you just want the most powerful 911 you can get for your money, buy another model. I have deposits (not allocations yet) on three GT products and the T is the only Carrera that appeals to me.
This sums it up nicely.
Cartod (01-23-2024)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:41 AM
jonbek
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 264 Posts

I continue to enjoy the arguments of purity that the T commands and how somehow now, the S is equal parts too powerful and too heavy. Someone wrote that if the T was hundreds and hundreds of pounds lighter, then yes that may make sense and I agree, but if we're talking 16, or 35, or even 100 pounds, I mean, really? Porsche did not turn the T into a Miata, it's still a 992 911 and the lb/hp ratios of the two at least online are listed as 8.6lb/hp and 7.6 lb/hp. I think the T would have been epic with radio delete, a/c delete, manual windows, door locks, doors, mirrors, etc. ie. a more thorough execution of the concept. To me it's a parts bin exercise, and no harm no foul on that whatsoever, its still a 992 911 and still awesome.

All of these arguments though, they make me wonder where I land in the eyes of T owners with my S, as it has 18-ways and back seats, but also has lightweight glass and no sunroof. I had a deposit on a T--awesome car and concept--but I remain unconvinced that the argument that less (power) is more will still hold true and be entertaining 6-12-18 months into ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonbek:
BOS911T (04-14-2023), geimer (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 02:32 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by jonbek
I continue to enjoy the arguments of purity that the T commands and how somehow now, the S is equal parts too powerful and too heavy. Someone wrote that if the T was hundreds and hundreds of pounds lighter, then yes that may make sense and I agree, but if we're talking 16, or 35, or even 100 pounds, I mean, really? Porsche did not turn the T into a Miata, it's still a 992 911 and the lb/hp ratios of the two at least online are listed as 8.6lb/hp and 7.6 lb/hp. I think the T would have been epic with radio delete, a/c delete, manual windows, door locks, doors, mirrors, etc. ie. a more thorough execution of the concept. To me it's a parts bin exercise, and no harm no foul on that whatsoever, its still a 992 911 and still awesome.

All of these arguments though, they make me wonder where I land in the eyes of T owners with my S, as it has 18-ways and back seats, but also has lightweight glass and no sunroof. I had a deposit on a T--awesome car and concept--but I remain unconvinced that the argument that less (power) is more will still hold true and be entertaining 6-12-18 months into ownership.
Here's my logic. Beyond what I wrote above, weight is important to me because I know the difference it makes in the driving dynamics of the car from building two track cars from stock. The T won't be tracked but it will be driven hard in canyons on weekends and roadtrips. That's the purpose of my car. For me, ordering the T was about getting it as light as possible. With my options, I expect to be in the 3,200 to 3,250 range out of the box. A stripper S weighs about 50 lbs more but most people don't spec a stripper S. Most get PDK which is another 84 lbs and then add a buch of options that pack on the weight like 18 way seats with ventilation and/or heat, sunroof, etc. In short, I wager most S cars weigh in the 3,500 lb range. It will take me wheels and exhaust alone to remove 50 lbs of my T and expect at least 100 lbs removed. That's putting me in the 3,100 lb range vs 400 lbs more for the average S. The lower weight that makes the car more agile coupled with the smaller turbos that spool faster and make the car more responsive is what I'm looking for. And the best part is that for $2,500 I can get a tune and get similar power to an S if I found 380HP not to be enough. Or, I could spend $13k and upgrade turbos and software and get even more power than a standard S. I doubt I'll go that far because what I really care about is driving dynamics and not power with this car.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:53 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Both cars are excellent. If you crave power, the S is a no brainer. It will always be at the back of your head... an itch that wants to be scratched. If the T is plenty fast for you already, no need to get an S.

Also, if you have any desire to tune the car, the larger turbos that come with the S is a huge advantage. The alleged greater turbo lag on a S is either non-existent or greatly exaggerated. My taller geared manual S does not have any noticeable turbo lag and is extremely responsive. If a T is even quicker responding, it would be so negligible to not matter at all.

If you want AWD, there is no Carrera 4T available so you're stuck with a Carrera 4S.
minn19 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 08:33 AM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree, a RWD S with a tune would be epic!...I think of a GT2’s little brother. Unfortunately, for those of us where a new 911 was a bucket list item or stretch goal, a new S with a few options and the massive base MSRP increases the last several years (excluding any ADM’s) no longer makes sense. The ‘21 C2 was the last 911 starting under 6 figures. We seem so far removed from those days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurac:
AlterZgo (04-13-2023), BOS911T (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Both cars are excellent. If you crave power, the S is a no brainer. It will always be at the back of your head... an itch that wants to be scratched. If the T is plenty fast for you already, no need to get an S.

Also, if you have any desire to tune the car, the larger turbos that come with the S is a huge advantage. The alleged greater turbo lag on a S is either non-existent or greatly exaggerated. My taller geared manual S does not have any noticeable turbo lag and is extremely responsive. If a T is even quicker responding, it would be so negligible to not matter at all.

If you want AWD, there is no Carrera 4T available so you're stuck with a Carrera 4S.
I also have no idea where people get this turbo lag idea from on the S/GTS. I notice less power at low rpm, but my turbos produce boost instantly.

Last edited by 22992; 04-13-2023 at 08:07 PM.
jlegelis (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:56 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
I agree, a RWD S with a tune would be epic!...I think of a GT2’s little brother. Unfortunately, for those of us where a new 911 was a bucket list item or stretch goal, a new S with a few options and the massive base MSRP increases the last several years (excluding any ADM’s) no longer makes sense. The ‘21 C2 was the last 911 starting under 6 figures. We seem so far removed from those days.
I feel you. I'm by no means rich and my car was aspirational. My 2021 992 S base price was $115.1K and well optioned for $140.7K. Today the same build is $160K In 2021 a base Turbo non-S was only $170K!
Old 04-13-2023, 02:02 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Hi everyone

So I got to test drive 992 C2 and 992 C2S. I understand now the difference. Even when stepping on the gas you can feel the additional power of S. I test drove the C2 first and enjoyed it. There were areas of road where I fully stepped on the gas pedal and could feel the car pulling. But it felt manageable. I drove the C2S next and holy! Same road, stepped on the gas and the car would become a rocket. I don't understand how much difference HP can make but it did!

Now I did step back into C2 after C2S. Oddly it did not feel like I'm in a slower car. It's still really good. However, I don't think I was still doing a fair comparison: On an empty stretch the HP does make a huge difference, no doubt about that. However the C2S had the PSE which is soo much better than normal exhaust. More than that, C2S also had the GT Steering Wheel instead of standard. That also makes a huge difference!

I don't think $17K to $20K upgrade to S is making sense in my case today. There's another $4K deposit which my T dealer won't give back so it's going to become another chaos. The S offered to me is basically a 2023 with $8K ADM which brings it to 2024 pricing.

It was a fun adventure today.

Good call! I am taking 992 T now and I hold an option (refundable deposit) on 992.2 S

Also, the 7-MT is near extinction, as manufacturers are chasing emission targets and more cars are going electric.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:45 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,329 Likes on 622 Posts

Here's my logic. Beyond what I wrote above, weight is important to me because I know the difference it makes in the driving dynamics of the car from building two track cars from stock. The T won't be tracked but it will be driven hard in canyons on weekends and roadtrips. That's the purpose of my car. For me, ordering the T was about getting it as light as possible. With my options, I expect to be in the 3,200 to 3,250 range out of the box. A stripper S weighs about 50 lbs more but most people don't spec a stripper S. Most get PDK which is another 84 lbs and then add a buch of options that pack on the weight like 18 way seats with ventilation and/or heat, sunroof, etc. In short, I wager most S cars weigh in the 3,500 lb range. It will take me wheels and exhaust alone to remove 50 lbs of my T and expect at least 100 lbs removed. That's putting me in the 3,100 lb range vs 400 lbs more for the average S. The lower weight that makes the car more agile coupled with the smaller turbos that spool faster and make the car more responsive is what I'm looking for. And the best part is that for $2,500 I can get a tune and get similar power to an S if I found 380HP not to be enough. Or, I could spend $13k and upgrade turbos and software and get even more power than a standard S. I doubt I'll go that far because what I really care about is driving dynamics and not power with this car.
I am sorry, but I do not follow your logic: you’re comparing a loaded -S to a stripped and modified -T, there’s no logic in that beyond confirmation bias.

There’s only a marginal weight difference between equivalently specced -S and -T. Removing the rear seat and seatbelts from an -S is easy enough and the same weight savings modifications can be done to either car. There will not be a significant weight difference between the two cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
aggie57 (04-13-2023), minn19 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 03:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

A stripper S weighs about 50 lbs more but most people don't spec a stripper S.
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I am sorry, but I do not follow your logic: you’re comparing a loaded -S to a stripped and modified -T, there’s no logic in that beyond confirmation bias.

There’s only a marginal weight difference between equivalently specced -S and -T. Removing the rear seat and seatbelts from an -S is easy enough and the same weight savings modifications can be done to either car. There will not be a significant weight difference between the two cars.
I don't know how else to say this in a way that you could understand.
Porsch (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 04:28 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Because many view a T as a baby version of a GT3T, especially when equipped with LWBs. Same comparisons were drawn in the 991.2 generation. Pete Stout talked about it quite a bit.
+1

​​​​​​​Not just Pete, but several RLers who owned both models. I remember Sean Groer was particularly detailed in his comparisons.
Porsch (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 04:43 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Or, I could spend $13k and upgrade turbos and software and get even more power than a standard S. I doubt I'll go that far because what I really care about is driving dynamics and not power with this car.
Just so you're aware, Flat 6 sells a kit with stock S/GTS turbos with tune for $7500.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
That's called a 992 Sports Classic.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (04-13-2023), shrimp money (04-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 T vs 992 S - How different are they in performance?