Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Porsche Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
As a former 981 GT4 owner that never had any "issues" after 15,000 miles, I'm curious to learn what some of your 14+ repairs were.
- Engine knock (3x)
- Engine ticking noise
- Washer fluid hose (broke months after dealer replacement, I fixed with different materials)
- Coolant system fault (bad check valve)
- Front sway bar detached
- Muffler leak
- Coolant cap leak
- PDLS fault
- Parking brake fault (PCCBs)
- Loose header
- CV boot replacement...dealer tightened clamps first time around when found to be "throwing grease", eventually replaced

* Also had the "headlight crazing", which a few may have been able to get headlights replaced under warranty...no joy with my dealer, I wound up sanding it out myself.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 04-04-2023 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 11:45 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Ugh, sorry to hear that.
That's definitely an annoying list.
colnagoG60 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 11:47 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I have my local dealer wiling to sell me the "Porsche" branded extended warranty Platinum level 5 years additional and 60,000 total miles for $5800 with the $100 disappearing deductible, I'm currently at 25K and will hit 4 years in Dec 2023.. What do you all think? Money well spent? I mean one major break down and it pays itself off..

Thoughts on this?
It sounds to me like you've answered your own question. "One major breakdown and it pays for itself"
The following 4 users liked this post by SH2:
992Sam (07-08-2023), colnagoG60 (04-07-2023), igrip (04-06-2024), pkalhan (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:09 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

yeah, I looked into that.. not really cheaper and seems using the Porsche one is more seamless with dealers.. I mean with this one, after the first visit (where you pay the $100), you never pay a deductible again and they just handle the billing transparently as if it's a factory warranty. Seems like Porsche wouldn't back it with their name if it sucked.
I've had dealers tell me they'd rather work with Fidelity on getting the claims approved. Fidelity is also prorated. Ie. If you sell your car in three years and you have a five year plan, you'll get refunded the remainder of the unused years. This really makes it a no brainer. An oil change at the dealer costs ballpark $1k. Repairs are much more. Putting down $5k for something like 7 years and 100k miles coverage when new should seriously be considered for those who are keeping their car for the long run.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
mdrobc1213 (12-25-2023), pkalhan (12-20-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 11:44 AM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my local dealer wiling to sell me the "Porsche" branded extended warranty Platinum level 5 years additional and 60,000 total miles for $5800 with the $100 disappearing deductible, I'm currently at 25K and will hit 4 years in Dec 2023.. What do you all think? Money well spent? I mean one major break down and it pays itself off..

Thoughts on this?
I'm currently negotiating on a used 992 C2S, to join my Cayenne S. It's replacing an MB SL, that I also bought at a couple of years old and took an extended warranty that paid for itself by a considerable margin, so I'm intending to do the same again, on the assumption that higher mileage (daily driver) owners are going to benefit on average, whereas weekend drivers will also sleep better, but not on average get the most out of it.

I've just received a quote for the Platinum program and, having looked at the coverage details on the Porsche website, I think we're starting with an assumption that the clock starts ticking as soon as the original warranty ends. That's not what the language on the website says - it usese the term "concurrent", so that the clock starts as soon as the original warranty starts. This means the extra first year is costing $5k or so and a total of six extra years costs around $11k.

As a numbers guy, I can't quite rationalize the high first year cost, but we can be sure that Porsche and their underwriter are basing it on data.

A nil paperwork option, managed by the dealer, seems a good plan, but I shall review the Fidelity option.
The following 2 users liked this post by dave_n_s:
992Sam (07-08-2023), pkalhan (12-20-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:42 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Everyone has a different risk tolerance. I bought extended fidelity for 10y/100k which effectively is 6 years out of factory warranty. I plan to keep the car that long. I bought the warranty while below 10k mileage. Hence, pricing was a reasonable insurance against possible big ticket items. YMMV.
The following 4 users liked this post by German1967:
992Sam (07-08-2023), Highline-Autos.com (07-10-2023), mdrobc1213 (12-25-2023), pkalhan (12-20-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:05 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

When I picked my Carrera T last week I purchased the Porsche Term Protection Plus…which I was told includes brake pads, battery, belts and hoses, windshield wiper blades, wheel alignment, headlamps and bulbs/fuses which is the Term Protection…
In addition the “Plus” includes “All covered components and services listed under “Term Protection benefits…plus mechanical breakdown coverage included all mechanical and electrical parts , unless specifically mentioned in the “exclusions from coverage” in the Product agreement. Also no deductible, transferable, rental car reimbursement, diagnostic charges and fluid replacement…and cancelable after 30 days….
I was told that this is essential a bumper to bumper coverage for six years or 72,000 miles….

In the Exclusions from Coverage it lists the following…ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS AND/OR SERVICES: FRICTION CLUTCH DISC, PRESSURE PLATE AND CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING, HINGES, GLASS, GLASS FRAMEWORK AND FASTENING ADHESIVES, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, ALIGNMENT OF BODY PARTS, FLEXIBLE BODY PARTS, STRUCTURAL FRAMEWORK, CONVERTIBLE

TOP FRAMEWORK, STRUCTURAL WELDS, REMOVABLE HARDTOP ASSEMBLIES, BUMPERS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR PANELS, DOOR HANDLES, DOOR LOCK CYLINDERS (OTHER THAN IGNITION LOCK CYLINDERS), TIRES, WHEELS, WHEEL RIMS,

WHEEL COVERS, WHEEL BALANCING, FILTERS, LUBRICANTS, OR FLUIDS NOT REPLACED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR, UPHOLSTERY, VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, SHEET METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, BRAKE DRUMS, CARBON/CERAMIC BRAKE PADS, BRAKE ROTORS (UNLESS YOU SELECTED THE BRAKE ROTORS COVERAGE ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE), CARBON/CERAMIC BRAKE ROTORS (EVEN IF YOU SELECTED THE BRAKE ROTORS COVERAGE ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE);

So when you read this Exclusions from Coverage section…it is not really a bumper to bumper coverage but seems to include a lot of possible issues/problems…

They wanted $6300 ….but finally settled on $5300….

Has anyone else purchased this plan?

Is it worth the price? I know we can’t predict the future but since I am keeping this T for a while I thought it may be a good idea….
‘I can cancel after 30 days…

I would appreciate any opinions

I was also told that this is a Porsche warranty…not aftermarket
Old 07-08-2023, 01:50 PM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by German1967
Everyone has a different risk tolerance. I bought extended fidelity for 10y/100k which effectively is 6 years out of factory warranty. I plan to keep the car that long. I bought the warranty while below 10k mileage. Hence, pricing was a reasonable insurance against possible big ticket items. YMMV.
I'm with you on the principles of these extensive warranty extensions - I had a few claims on my SL and the premium was covered by just one of them. I'm actually very risk tolerant - I typically don't insure things I can cover myself, but the probability for avoiding a series of higher cost failures on complex vehicles seems sufficiently good that I buy these policies when they make sense to me. I'll likely be getting something covering the vehicle I'm trying to buy to provide coverage out to 10 years / 6 years past warranty.

However several of the earlier posts in this thread seem to get the coverage period wrong - for Porsche policies at least.
Gus_Smedstad (11-25-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 02:04 PM
edofloat
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_n_s
I'm with you on the principles of these extensive warranty extensions - I had a few claims on my SL and the premium was covered by just one of them. I'm actually very risk tolerant - I typically don't insure things I can cover myself, but the probability for avoiding a series of higher cost failures on complex vehicles seems sufficiently good that I buy these policies when they make sense to me. I'll likely be getting something covering the vehicle I'm trying to buy to provide coverage out to 10 years / 6 years past warranty.

However several of the earlier posts in this thread seem to get the coverage period wrong - for Porsche policies at least.
Zurich sells service contracts that will give you 10 years from the original in-service date.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:13 PM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
When I picked my Carrera T last week I purchased the Porsche Term Protection Plus…which I was told includes brake pads, battery, belts and hoses, windshield wiper blades, wheel alignment, headlamps and bulbs/fuses which is the Term Protection…
In addition the “Plus” includes “All covered components and services listed under “Term Protection benefits…plus mechanical breakdown coverage included all mechanical and electrical parts , unless specifically mentioned in the “exclusions from coverage” in the Product agreement. Also no deductible, transferable, rental car reimbursement, diagnostic charges and fluid replacement…and cancelable after 30 days….
I was told that this is essential a bumper to bumper coverage for six years or 72,000 miles….

In the Exclusions from Coverage it lists the following…ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS AND/OR SERVICES: FRICTION CLUTCH DISC, PRESSURE PLATE AND CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING, HINGES, GLASS, GLASS FRAMEWORK AND FASTENING ADHESIVES, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, ALIGNMENT OF BODY PARTS, FLEXIBLE BODY PARTS, STRUCTURAL FRAMEWORK, CONVERTIBLE

TOP FRAMEWORK, STRUCTURAL WELDS, REMOVABLE HARDTOP ASSEMBLIES, BUMPERS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR PANELS, DOOR HANDLES, DOOR LOCK CYLINDERS (OTHER THAN IGNITION LOCK CYLINDERS), TIRES, WHEELS, WHEEL RIMS,

WHEEL COVERS, WHEEL BALANCING, FILTERS, LUBRICANTS, OR FLUIDS NOT REPLACED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR, UPHOLSTERY, VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, SHEET METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, BRAKE DRUMS, CARBON/CERAMIC BRAKE PADS, BRAKE ROTORS (UNLESS YOU SELECTED THE BRAKE ROTORS COVERAGE ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE), CARBON/CERAMIC BRAKE ROTORS (EVEN IF YOU SELECTED THE BRAKE ROTORS COVERAGE ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE);

So when you read this Exclusions from Coverage section…it is not really a bumper to bumper coverage but seems to include a lot of possible issues/problems…

They wanted $6300 ….but finally settled on $5300….

Has anyone else purchased this plan?

Is it worth the price? I know we can’t predict the future but since I am keeping this T for a while I thought it may be a good idea….
‘I can cancel after 30 days…

I would appreciate any opinions

I was also told that this is a Porsche warranty…not aftermarket
This is an excellent question, which I'm going to reframe as "What is not covered by Term Protection Plus that is covered by VSP Platinum?"

It's clear that Term Protection covers a lot of the routine wear and tear running costs after the first year of the normal warranty and in this case for two years afterwards. That has a value. However it seems that "Plus" does not cover everything that VSP platinum does, starting with the electronics that won't cause a "mechanical breakdown", however that is defined.

A table comparing those coverages would be extremely useful.
Dr. Z (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Good explanation of the Porsche VSP plan…

https://getjerry.com/car-insurance/p...erage-and-cost
Old 07-08-2023, 04:09 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Default VSP

https://getjerry.com/car-insurance/p...erage-and-cost

Porsche VSP
Old 07-08-2023, 05:22 PM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

That link is indeed a decent explanation, but it's not adding a lot to what's on the Porsche website.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:12 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Keep in mind Extended Service Contracts, even when noted as Bumper to Bumper Coverage virtually all will not cover " Wear and Tear " items, which is what one or the posts was noting. As the average vehicle now has over 5000 parts it can be easy to have something go wrong and the one key I would suggest is to ask the Dealer if the plan has a higher deductible. Most plans will have a 0, $100, $250 or $500 deductible and that can affect your policy a bunch. Look for contracts with high satisfaction and claim records ( BBB rated , etc. ) and in most cases stay away from the TV promos. Some Dealers do like certain companies since they pay on Flat rate where many Manufacturers pay a warranty rate ( often a lot less ), yet with our vehicles I would say your best bet is with the Factory Sponsored Plan. Try the deductible route , it could be a decent savings.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:22 AM
dave_n_s
Intermediate

Yes, deductibles should make a huge difference and we shouldn't be worrying about a few hundred dollar visit here or there, it's the big stuff we're trying to protect against.

One question: I can't find an obvious inclusion or exclusion of the cabrio or Targa roof mechanism and associated stuff (roll bar and electric screen on the cabrio) in the Porsche or Fidelity docs and cabrio is what I'm trying to buy. Is a failure of those a mechanical breakdown in the language of the policy?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Porsche Extended Warranty