Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[FourWheelTrader] Warning: Don't Buy a Porsche 911 Carrera Until You Watch This!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 11:20 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

My trip to the dealer last week showed an ADM of $100k on a Sport Classic and $30k on a GTS.
Would that evaporate to move the cars out?
I'm doubtful it would now. A year from now? Who knows.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Newport IRL
I depreciate every car I have ever purchased to zero in my head the day I buy it.
Exactly. Can't afford to adopt that attitude? Then you can't afford the car.

Meanwhile, the FDIC just assumed ownership of Silicon Valley Bank. $175B in deposits, 90+% of them uninsured by virtue of exceeding the $250K insurance cutoff. If you're a Porsche dealer in California, the party's probably just about over.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 03-10-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:36 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Some things I find issue with on his videos. First, it’s not 100% clear but it appears he follows what is actually listed for sale with asking prices, not sold prices like through Mannheim or similar. So I can ask the moon when I list my car, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to get that number. Second he continually mentions how few data points there are so statistically he can’t be certain about trends except in broad generalizations. He just did a video on whether manuals are worth more and while he says they aren’t, the data he uses seems to point out the contrary.

I watch his videos, but like anything else, like news or politicians, I take what he says with a grain of salt. He obviously knows how to try to get the views to monetize his videos.

My wife and I played a drinking game, taking a shot whenever he said “moreover”. We were pretty hammered at the end of a single video.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:23 PM
IPA1
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 78 Posts

The man understands statistics. He provides confidence intervals on his data. He points out low sample rates and many of the other factors that could skew his reporting. Bottom line, he is unbiased in stating what the numbers and trends are pointing to.
He is not exclusive to Porsche, go check out some of his work on other lines of cars and the general market. I've found his data very useful and accurate. There are plenty of older videos where you can critique his earlier determinations. Sometimes he's wrong and admits it. More often he is right.
Lastly I would say, If you don't truly understand statistics, data correction and other factors, go read up a bit. Overall he does a very good job of boiling it down for laymen.
There is a lot of free and valuable information here at no cost. Use it to suit your needs,
Kudo's and hopefully a few $ to guys like him out doing this kind of work.

Quick Reply: [FourWheelTrader] Warning: Don't Buy a Porsche 911 Carrera Until You Watch This!