Sponsored by:

Weight of Carrera S wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 08:18 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
stupid question but here goes: Why exactly are you so obsessed with unsprung weight? Unless you are a professional racer, I'd bet my last dollar you will never, ever feel the difference between the heaviest and lightest wheel and why obsess over it? You're going to choose a wheel based on weight alone? How about appearance? I'm a hard core driver and these are minutiae I'll never waste my time or effort worrying about.
Everything matters. For me, I want the best possible given the circumstances.

This is why I went with the Turbo wheels. Forged.

Otherwise save yourself $70k and buy a 4000lb M4.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (05-26-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:12 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
That’s you. Every individual is different on what they want. Why are you assuming everyone should be like you?

And yes, I would absolutely bet you your last dollar.

btw I hope you’re not just trolling.
Ask the site grand poo bah (Robb) if I'm trolling . . . . It is not an assumption you should be like me rather it is a quest to understand what is in you to undergo such mental gymnastics? I've driven a lot of sports cars on circuits, mostly Watkins Glen. Never have I as a person who loves to drive at the limit been able to tell the difference in weight between vastly different cars driven the same day on the same track. Maybe you can, I doubt it but if so concerned spend the cash and buy non-Porsche aftermarket wheels.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:58 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

stupid question but here goes: Why exactly are you so obsessed with unsprung weight? Unless you are a professional racer, I'd bet my last dollar you will never, ever feel the difference between the heaviest and lightest wheel and why obsess over it? You're going to choose a wheel based on weight alone? How about appearance? I'm a hard core driver and these are minutiae I'll never waste my time or effort worrying about.
You absolutely can feel the difference moving to a lighter wheel. When I put my HRE R101LW on from the RS Spyders it is was noticeable in every way. It was drastic.
The following 4 users liked this post by dixonk:
Aaron Lin (04-17-2023), gthal (04-17-2023), JoeyBagadonuts (07-02-2023), Wilder (04-17-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 11:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

It's not a stupid question but assuming something you evidently don't have knowledge or experience with is never a good idea. As a "hard core driver" don't you think it would be a good idea to learn a bit about the physics of racing?
Old 04-17-2023, 01:49 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

First, I agree that the obsession with reducing weight in general on Rennlist is a bit much... shaving a few pounds here/there on a street car is entirely irrelevant unless you are tracking regularly. I would bet that driving a GTS with the LWP vs. without would be entirely not noticeable on the street.

However, when it comes to unsprung weight (wheels, brakes, etc), my opinion is very different. Every time I have swapped out heavy factory wheels for lighter wheels, it can be felt in normal driving to me. The car is more responsive, the bumps are less intrusive in the cabin and the suspension handles them better in terms of chassis control. Lighter wheels/tires make it easier for the suspension to do its job and, for me anyway, is definitely something I can feel. I have driven a number of cars back to back after swapping in lighter wheels and it is immediately noticeable to me. Something in the 6-10lb per wheel range is very noticeable for me.

But, as I said, skipping other options (like a sunroof) is definitely NOT noticeable. I think you would need to shave hundreds of pounds of weight to have the same impact on performance as shaving 6lbs/wheel of unsprung weight. I have no basis for this other than seat of pants feel

Last edited by gthal; 04-17-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gthal
I have no basis for this other than seat of pants feel
Every pound of unsprung weight is worth 3-4x static weight, so when you remove 6-10lb per corner or 24-40lb total, it's the equivalent of removing between 72 and 160 lbs from the car.

As for the obsession with weight reduction on street cars, I agree that it doesn't matter on pedestrian cars (I have a Jetta and an XQ80) but my sports cars, even my Macan Turbo DD, are driven hard. I drive canyon roads the same way I drive at the track and I want my cars as agile as possible. Even my 4,400lb Macan felt lighter on its feet just by swapping wheels. It certainly makes a difference on lighter 911s and 718s.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:38 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

My C2S allocation locks in about a week and I have my wheel options narrowed to the Carrera Classic and Carrera Exclusive. Can we say with certainty that the Exclusive is lighter than the Classics? The configurator says the Exclusives are forged, but do we know that the Classics are not?
Old 04-17-2023, 06:42 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by CZS
My C2S allocation locks in about a week and I have my wheel options narrowed to the Carrera Classic and Carrera Exclusive. Can we say with certainty that the Exclusive is lighter than the Classics? The configurator says the Exclusives are forged, but do we know that the Classics are not?
Only forged wheel options are Exclusives and Turbo.

And yes, they will be lighter.
The following users liked this post:
CZS (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by repcapale
Only forged wheel options are Exclusives and Turbo.

And yes, they will be lighter.
+1.

I personally ordered the free S wheels and will be buying aftermarket. Not sure the OEM forged will be as light as the aftermarket options.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:02 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
+1.

I personally ordered the free S wheels and will be buying aftermarket. Not sure the OEM forged will be as light as the aftermarket options.
I may consider this option. I want to like the Exclusive Designs and I know a lot of people do, but I think I like the looks of the Classics better. Car will be Guards Red or GT Silver.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:07 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CZS
I may consider this option. I want to like the Exclusive Designs and I know a lot of people do, but I think I like the looks of the Classics better. Car will be Guards Red or GT Silver.
With aftermarket you end up with two sets for about the same money as the OEM upgrade. Look up BC Forged.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
CZS (04-18-2023), Master Deep (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 01:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Looks like we finally have some numbers thanks to @20C4S. Lighter than I had expected.

Originally Posted by 20C4S
The standard Carrera S wheels weight are 24.9lbs front and 30.3lbs rear.

The RS Spyder Design wheels weight are 26.3lbs front and 33.2lbs rear. Def not worth the cost unless you love the design.
Originally Posted by 20C4S
Weight them both myself. Same scale same condition.
Old 07-02-2023, 02:50 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Looks like we finally have some numbers thanks to @20C4S. Lighter than I had expected.

thank you both! My guess was off by 0.1 lbs. That goes to show you that if you search on RL enough you can deduce pretty accurately.

Last edited by Purekoryo; 07-02-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:20 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
thank you both! My guess was off by 0.1 lbs. That goes to show you that if you search on RL enough you can deduce pretty accurately.
Mine guess was bang on too. Just for the wrong wheel.

Quick Reply: Weight of Carrera S wheels?