The Motor is OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 01:30 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
I've purchased a few 911's from Lober/Lincolnwood. They get very good allocations and I recommend Chris over there. Thumbs up!!
Yep, I’ve dealt with him.

My 992 was actually the showroom model back in Nov ‘20. Right before they moved to their new location.

I was shopping for a 911. I saw it online. I called them, said “is that car still available?” (it had been sitting for 2 months, and they kept lowering the price). The salesman said “yes it is”

I said “great, you just found a buyer. I will be there in the morning”

I bought it for $15k BELOW MSRP

Literally a month or two later, the car market (especially for high end sports cars) went nuts. I never would have predicted how lucky I was
Old 02-25-2023, 01:44 PM
La Carrera
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, that settles it. Definitely buying the extended warranty now!

Thanks for posting! Great photos.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:24 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Actually a Long Block has most everything attached to it, there is very little to move over from the old engine. Short Blocks require the move-over, but most manufactures no longer offer them as they did in the past as machining tolerances have become incredibly tight for both power and emissions, they do not want a second failure so they ship long blocks with everything attached and as you saw in the letter, test ran the engine to be sure.

You can't see the spark plugs as they are on the bottom of the engine, behind the manifolds in the photos shown.

I had to replace an engine in a 11,000 mile 1996 993 C4S in 2002,(out-of-pocket) and bought a new long block from the factory. I did not want to put a 60,000 mile junkyard engine in a chassis with just 11K miles on it. It took two months to build it in Germany as they had switched the factory over to 996 water-cooled builds. It arrived, went in without a hitch and came with a 2 year, unlimited miles warranty. Ran perfectly afterwards up to the day I sold the car (big mistake, should have kept that one)

Long block engines get their name from the fact that they have a longer list of components. They contain the engine block, crank and pistons, just like the short block, but they also have a cylinder head, camshaft and valve train. In some cases, you'll also get an oil pan and valve covers with your purchase

Old 02-26-2023, 08:45 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Big thanks to the guys at FedEx that pushed the new engine out of customs after 5 days of sitting! Big thanks to Ft Wayne Porsche for doing their best and still trying to get this done correctly. Matter is far from over and is out of my hands and letting the Professional rectify the issues. Pictures are cool! Porsche Sent a long block so it's more like 19 hrs to swap!!

this is amazing. thanks for posting the photos. forgive me if you explained what happened ... if you don't mind sharing.

edit: n/m ... i read the thread. that is odd, will be interesting to see what it is. failures happen but you don't hear much about them ... at least until the net!

Last edited by tmslc; 02-26-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:54 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
this is amazing. thanks for posting the photos. forgive me if you explained what happened ... if you don't mind sharing?
Scroll up, see post #18 here and hit the link for the story.
The following 2 users liked this post by PHX:
EZ E (02-26-2023), tmslc (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:29 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,193 Likes on 1,480 Posts

All machine break, it doesn't matter who makes them. If you race enough cars and motorcycles (in my case) you realize that. Even the tow vehicle to haul those nice machines has repairs, as does the trailer. Porsche, in my experience, breaks less - far less - than machines from other makers when used at the upper ends of its design parameters. Sometimes they break when new, which is due to faulty components or assembly, and other times they break when well used. But they all will do it. Warranties are very nice because now you are only inconvenienced, rather than taking a major hit to your bank account. Blow up a 992 engine through the cases on your dime and you can pretty easily be out $ 70,000. It can get quite expensive which is why you choose your track cars wisely.

I've been running Porsches since 1977 and probably hard enough in my younger days than the car was designed for. They have held up better than my Acuras Audis, Aston Martins, BMW's, Fords, Mercedes, Volvos and other brands I don't even remember. Tough cars. When they break, I fix them and keep on going. If they break under warranty, I smile because I don't have to pay to get them fixed!

They are mechanical devices, made from sub-assemblies. Have to put a new engine in, no biggie - it fits right in where the old one did, made in the same facility as the original. If they pay for it, all the better. There's no reason for Porsche to apologize, or sweeten the deal because the owner was inconvenienced. You're square - move on.
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (03-04-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:43 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

All machine break, it doesn't matter who makes them. If you race enough cars and motorcycles (in my case) you realize that. Even the tow vehicle to haul those nice machines has repairs, as does the trailer. Porsche, in my experience, breaks less - far less - than machines from other makers when used at the upper ends of its design parameters. Sometimes they break when new, which is due to faulty components or assembly, and other times they break when well used. But they all will do it. Warranties are very nice because now you are only inconvenienced, rather than taking a major hit to your bank account. Blow up a 992 engine through the cases on your dime and you can pretty easily be out $ 70,000. It can get quite expensive which is why you choose your track cars wisely.

I've been running Porsches since 1977 and probably hard enough in my younger days than the car was designed for. They have held up better than my Acuras Audis, Aston Martins, BMW's, Fords, Mercedes, Volvos and other brands I don't even remember. Tough cars. When they break, I fix them and keep on going. If they break under warranty, I smile because I don't have to pay to get them fixed!

They are mechanical devices, made from sub-assemblies. Have to put a new engine in, no biggie - it fits right in where the old one did, made in the same facility as the original. If they pay for it, all the better. There's no reason for Porsche to apologize, or sweeten the deal because the owner was inconvenienced. You're square - move on.
Take it from an Airbus Captain I completely understand how machines work and fail, plus I'm smart enough not to abuse machines. Thanks for pointing out it's a machine and has a power plant installed and they can fail. I didn't know that information. Wish someone would have told me before I dropped $180k. The issue is I never made it home on day one. Porsche has zero concern and made no effort to make sure I have a replacement engine. No biggie! The first engine ordered still hasn't shown up! No biggie! Dropping an engine in doesn't make us "square" and the engine isn't back in and we're at almost 40 days out of service after $180K payment. You clearly have missed the point of the post because you've given us all the super cool racing back ground and absolutely no understand of lemon law and product liability for a new car not a "race car". I was surprised when Porsche asked if I was out on a track or had tracked the car. Claim wouldn't have been covered is what Porsche told me. Not so sure you want to tell Porsche you've been out on a track with your 911 and make a warranty claim. After talking to Porsche all I heard is how people call screaming and crying when they call Porsche I'd bet this guy is one of them.

Last edited by EZ E; 02-26-2023 at 11:56 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by EZ E:
bobert75 (02-27-2023), Dr. Z (02-26-2023), La Carrera (02-27-2023), PHX (02-26-2023), Porsche992 (02-27-2023), SamD (02-28-2023), toph4242 (02-27-2023), Tupper (02-27-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2023, 01:25 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by La Carrera
Well, that settles it. Definitely buying the extended warranty now!

Thanks for posting! Great photos.
Why? It failed within the first hours of the manufacturer warranty. That type of failure happens immediately.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

The problem is the hundred fasteners they have to remove to replace engine how many go back in?
Old 02-26-2023, 01:55 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
The problem is the hundred fasteners they have to remove to replace engine how many go back in?
If it fits it ships
Old 02-27-2023, 01:03 AM
La Carrera
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Why? It failed within the first hours of the manufacturer warranty. That type of failure happens immediately.
Reasons: (1) I plan to keep car out of original warranty. (2) I don’t want to pay for a new engine or transmission out of warranty, or even piddly electronic failures. (3) The photo of a brand new engine in a box brings it home. (4) Murphy’s Law. (5) Seems like a good idea. (6) Hedge against catastrophic power train failure.

The following 2 users liked this post by La Carrera:
asunnyhero (03-03-2023), EXFIB (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 06:00 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

Take it from an Airbus Captain I completely understand how machines work and fail, plus I'm smart enough not to abuse machines.
There is your entire problem...you're on the wrong side of the frequency.
I appreciate sharing your story and if it would be mine, I wouldn't worry about it and do exactly what you're doing in asking the dealership for an extended warranty of some sorts. Easily done and it costs them nothing up front. Mercury Marine did this for me back in the day (2003) when their 8.1L 496HO **** the bed in my brand new bazillion dollar (to me anyway) powerboat and I was left holding a bag of poo for about 7 months where the engine wouldn't work and they swapped it out only to have it burp again. They found a wiring harness that had bent prongs in it...and they gave me an extra 2 years on my warranty. For the record, I never had to use it as the engine was flawless.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:12 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,193 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Take it from an Airbus Captain I completely understand how machines work and fail, plus I'm smart enough not to abuse machines. Thanks for pointing out it's a machine and has a power plant installed and they can fail. I didn't know that information. Wish someone would have told me before I dropped $180k. The issue is I never made it home on day one. Porsche has zero concern and made no effort to make sure I have a replacement engine. No biggie! The first engine ordered still hasn't shown up! No biggie! Dropping an engine in doesn't make us "square" and the engine isn't back in and we're at almost 40 days out of service after $180K payment. You clearly have missed the point of the post because you've given us all the super cool racing back ground and absolutely no understand of lemon law and product liability for a new car not a "race car". I was surprised when Porsche asked if I was out on a track or had tracked the car. Claim wouldn't have been covered is what Porsche told me. Not so sure you want to tell Porsche you've been out on a track with your 911 and make a warranty claim. After talking to Porsche all I heard is how people call screaming and crying when they call Porsche I'd bet this guy is one of them.
A sarcastic reply - why get personal? You're frustrated, I get that - but you will be made whole, perhaps not as quickly as you like, but ultimately your car will get fixed. And you have a non-performing asset right now (kind of like my Amazon stock). I've had cars down for months as well, it's part of the car bug thing, You don't know me, but you attack me. OK, want to know what I consider a big deal?

A few years ago I was told I had terminal cancer. Stage IV, 6 months survival. I had 85% of my liver removed, 22" on intestines, gall bladder and seven cancerous lymph nodes in a 10 hour operation at Johns Hopkins where my odds of getting off the table alive were about 50/50. That was a 1 year recovery.

More recently, my wife is dying of ALS, and I watch her body fail a little more every week, an in-home horror show. No treatments available, eventually all her nerve cells will disconnect from her muscles and she will stop breathing if she doesn't starve first.

So rather than continue with the berating, feel free to PM off forum if you feel strongly about why I can't get too excited about a warranty issue not being done in a timely manner.

The following 5 users liked this post by drcollie:
4carl (03-03-2023), armanslr (02-27-2023), Guzzgreg (03-03-2023), Ryan M Hartman (02-27-2023), Schwarz992C4S (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:51 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

While I'm sorry to hear about anyone's serious and/or life-threatening health problems, just because a guy isn't dying doesn't mean he can't be upset about the engine blowing on Day One with his new $180k car (or a new car at any price). If a guy can't come here and vent about that then where else is he supposed to go? That's partly what this forum is for - it's a car forum, not a health forum.
The following 12 users liked this post by bobert75:
22992 (02-28-2023), 911my22 (03-03-2023), dmacker (03-04-2023), EXFIB (02-28-2023), gthal (03-08-2023), jjaisli (03-03-2023), johny221 (02-27-2023), NickM (02-27-2023), Orca911 (03-03-2023), tmslc (02-28-2023), Tupper (02-27-2023), zyster (02-28-2023) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:12 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

@EZ E I fully agree with you. You have every right to be really upset at this situation, and just because one is healthy and alive doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to be pissed off about something.

In your shoes, I and many others would feel exactly the same way. I hope they get you your rebuilt car back soon.

Last edited by Tupper; 02-27-2023 at 10:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tupper:
22992 (02-28-2023), johny221 (02-27-2023), La Carrera (02-27-2023), Schwarz992C4S (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: The Motor is OUT!