Sponsored by:

JCR valved titanium exhaust - C2S review

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 02:19 AM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_3
Stock exhaust is out…waiting on my non-valved/non-silenced to arrive tomorrow!
Not that it's any if my business, but that set of quick jacks appears to be oriented backwards relative to the rear -engined 911. Just figured I'd mention it, for stability / safety considerations...

​​​​​​​Regardless, congrats on the exhaust! I am looking forward to hearing all the sound clips from you guys!! Enjoy!
Old 04-20-2023, 07:20 AM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by null
Not that it's any if my business, but that set of quick jacks appears to be oriented backwards relative to the rear -engined 911. Just figured I'd mention it, for stability / safety considerations...

Regardless, congrats on the exhaust! I am looking forward to hearing all the sound clips from you guys!! Enjoy!
I actually was curious about this as well…I backed the car into my garage to allow for more space while working on the exhaust. When setting up the QuickJack, my first concern was orientation. They are backwards from the standard orientation, but so is the orientation of the engine in the 911. So I figured a front engine vehicle would see a similar weight distribution as a rear engine, so reversing the orientation shouldn’t be an issue. A quick google search showed multiple people using the QJs in this manner.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:05 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Stock exhaust is out…waiting on my non-valved/non-silenced to arrive tomorrow!
@JCR-Porsche
Any chance you could weigh the stock item?
Old 04-20-2023, 10:02 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

I actually was curious about this as well…I backed the car into my garage to allow for more space while working on the exhaust. When setting up the QuickJack, my first concern was orientation. They are backwards from the standard orientation, but so is the orientation of the engine in the 911. So I figured a front engine vehicle would see a similar weight distribution as a rear engine, so reversing the orientation shouldn’t be an issue. A quick google search showed multiple people using the QJs in this manner.
any surprises when you took out the stock exhaust? I’ll be doing mine hopefully in a couple weeks. Waiting on the valved systems to ship. I also have quik jacks so was wondering about the correct orientation of them for the Porsche.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:08 AM
TN_3
Pro

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Any chance you could weigh the stock item?
Sure thing, I'll throw it on the scale tonight.

Originally Posted by Bezlar
any surprises when you took out the stock exhaust? I’ll be doing mine hopefully in a couple weeks. Waiting on the valved systems to ship. I also have quik jacks so was wondering about the correct orientation of them for the Porsche.
Well, my plan was to remove the exhaust without removing the bumper. I had seen videos so I had a pretty good idea how it was going to work. First, I attempted to remove the exhaust without touching the cats...I quickly realized that wasn't going to happen. No way to maneuver the exhaust out with the cats in place. So I went to removing/rotating the cats, which involves releasing the V-clamps. Well, the fasteners for the V-clamps are oriented with the allen bolt facing upwards, which means getting a socket in to loosen them is basically impossible without a specialized flex socket. I thought I was about to have to remove the bumper after all, but then attempted one last hail mary. The bottom of the bolt is not threaded and squared off. I CAREFULLY put a vise grip on it and attempted to rotate the bolt from the bottom. Luckily it worked, and I was able to loosen the bolt, and thus the clamp. Next, you would need to remove the O2 sensor, but instead I just released all the bolts that mount the cat, and put something underneath it to allow it to "hang" but not put tension on the O2 sensor wire, thus negating the need to remove the O2 sensor. Once the cats are free, the exhaust drops out fairly easily.

I used this video as my basic guide
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 01:56 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Well, my plan was to remove the exhaust without removing the bumper. I had seen videos so I had a pretty good idea how it was going to work. First, I attempted to remove the exhaust without touching the cats...I quickly realized that wasn't going to happen. No way to maneuver the exhaust out with the cats in place. So I went to removing/rotating the cats, which involves releasing the V-clamps. Well, the fasteners for the V-clamps are oriented with the allen bolt facing upwards, which means getting a socket in to loosen them is basically impossible without a specialized flex socket. I thought I was about to have to remove the bumper after all, but then attempted one last hail mary. The bottom of the bolt is not threaded and squared off. I CAREFULLY put a vise grip on it and attempted to rotate the bolt from the bottom. Luckily it worked, and I was able to loosen the bolt, and thus the clamp. Next, you would need to remove the O2 sensor, but instead I just released all the bolts that mount the cat, and put something underneath it to allow it to "hang" but not put tension on the O2 sensor wire, thus negating the need to remove the O2 sensor. Once the cats are free, the exhaust drops out fairly easily.

I used this video as my basic guide
Very helpful thanks. Looks like the cat clamps in the video were angled correctly which would have made things easier on your car. From the vid it looks like a smaller socket might even work on that squared off part on the cat bolt just to release enough tension to turn them. Will keep that in mind on my install!
Old 04-20-2023, 02:10 PM
TN_3
Pro

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Very helpful thanks. Looks like the cat clamps in the video were angled correctly which would have made things easier on your car. From the vid it looks like a smaller socket might even work on that squared off part on the cat bolt just to release enough tension to turn them. Will keep that in mind on my install!
Yeah, lol, that is not the OEM placement for those clamp bolts. Didn't think about a socket, that would be something to try for sure.
tourenwagen (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 03:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Here we go!!

My little blonde Girl, Gigi, thought it was a toy for her so you can imagine how sad she was.

Very impressed. The welds are a work of art and boy was I shocked to notice how light this exhaust is.

I can not get her scheduled any sooner than next Thursday for the install.

Looking forward to it

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 04-20-2023 at 03:56 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
JCR-Porsche (04-20-2023), Master Deep (04-20-2023), Pad Bender (04-20-2023), TN_3 (04-20-2023), tourenwagen (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 05:32 PM
krotondo
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

Sure thing, I'll throw it on the scale tonight.

This is helpful, I just checked my vbands & they are in the orientation you described. I think the squared off bottom of the bolt will work just fine as you described.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:18 PM
TN_3
Pro

@tourenwagen
I placed a soft pad under the JCR and zeroed the scale, just so I could lift it high enough that it wasn’t touching the ground.

The following 2 users liked this post by TN_3:
Fullyield (04-21-2023), tourenwagen (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:30 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

😱 I didn't think it was that light. Although yours is the non valved. Don't the welds just remind you of a bygone era of craftsmanship.
tourenwagen (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:41 PM
krotondo
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

@tourenwagen
I placed a soft pad under the JCR and zeroed the scale, just so I could lift it high enough that it wasn’t touching the ground.

Now get it in the car and post videos!! I'm doing mine on Saturday AM
Old 04-20-2023, 11:34 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 648 Posts

Let the vids begin...cant wait!
tourenwagen (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:44 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

@tourenwagen
Thank-you for doing that. And... holy crap I was expecting such a delta. That's a nice amount of weight to take off the rear!
Old 04-21-2023, 09:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

The Whole system is 3 inch diameter and, yes, it is very light.

I am betting that you will also pick up gains in HP and Torque although I need to check if they make any of those claims

Quick Reply: JCR valved titanium exhaust - C2S review