Sponsored by:

CR’s top 10 “Most Satisfying Cars to Own” in 2023

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 06:04 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Not really sarcastic, the Musk/Tesla followers are damn near a cult. It’s crazy (to the point of purposely putting out misinformation like he did) what they’ll do and say to defend him/his companies.

He is quite a business man, somewhat visionary and a hell of salesman, especially when he wants subsidies for his companies from Uncle Sam. But obviously a deeply flawed, contradictory person. Like most megalomaniacs, he wants it all his way every time.

Unless Tesla starts freshening things up soon, they are going to get ran over by the competition in the near future IMO. Part of their heyday is already over since they are no longer one of the only choices for an EV on the market anymore.
Totally agree. For many, it is a cult.

Up until his purchase of twitter, Musk had a near flawless record in recognizing opportunities…e.g, Zip2, PayPal, getting into a non-existent EV market (although he was not the originator of Tesla), or filling the NASA vacuum in making space launch platforms with Space X. But he f*cked the pooch when he decided he would buy an already successful social media platform, Twitter…and try to shape it into something that aligned with his own social and political ideologies. Ironically, Musk is not the technical wizard many think he is…far from it. But he is a good business man, who recognizes opportunities, and who knows how to work the system to benefit is business interests (eg, Tesla selling Government regulatory carbon credits to other car manufacturers and businesses - generated billions of $$ from Government subsidies).

Personally, I think Musk has attention deficits syndrome, moving from one project/company to the next. I suspect Musk sees the hand writing on the wall for Tesla (no longer the only game in town), and is hedging his bets by focusing his attention and money on other enterprises.

OK, before the MODS lock this thread, I’m out.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-15-2023 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:17 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
They got the rear end of the C8 all kinds of wrong.
That's what happens when the design priority is to fit 2 sets of golf clubs for the geezer crowd that is their historical market. And yes - I turn 65 tomorrow and used to own a Corvette (x2 - a C6 and C7).
minn19 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:58 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Totally agree. For many, it is a cult.

Up until his purchase of twitter, Musk had a near flawless record in recognizing opportunities…e.g, Zip2, PayPal, getting into a non-existent EV market (although he was not the originator of Tesla), or filling the NASA vacuum in making space launch platforms with Space X. But he f*cked the pooch when he decided he would buy an already successful social media platform, Twitter…and try to shape it into something that aligned with his own social and political ideologies. Ironically, Musk is not the technical wizard many think he is…far from it. But he is a good business man, who recognizes opportunities, and who knows how to work the system to benefit is business interests (eg, Tesla selling Government regulatory carbon credits to other car manufacturers and businesses - generated billions of $$ from Government subsidies).

Personally, I think Musk has attention deficits syndrome, moving from one project/company to the next. I suspect Musk sees the hand writing on the wall for Tesla (no longer the only game in town), and is hedging his bets by focusing his attention and money on other enterprises.

OK, before the MODS lock this thread, I’m out.
Agreed, even though I deleted my post as I may have unnecessarily went off on an unnecessary rant. Oh well, it’s the internet after all.
aggie57 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:02 AM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Last edited by Radiationman; 02-16-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:03 AM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Edit: Gotcha, misread/misinterpreted his and maybe your posts.
Nope. Not my posts.

Although I do think Musk is a wannabe Bond villain. Pretty sure it’s not long before he does a SpaceX launch from his secret base in an extinct volcano.
minn19 (02-16-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:03 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Since my '17 Cayenne was totaled I've been shopping EVs. The idea is we'll get an EV and shop for another 958 in the meantime. I just don't like the newer models enough to order one. The used market is getting better for them, I may just pick up another 17/18.

The Rivian is really quite nice. Rented one for several days last week via the Turo app. But repairing body damage to them is expensive and that's not really a sensible way to start a new driver. For the reasons /most/ pickups get purchased it's probably a nice choice. If you genuinely need a 'beat it to **** at a job site' pickup then it's probably not the best choice. But I could see using one regularly were it not for the 'new driver' scenario we've got coming.

I've got a Turo rental setup for a Cross Turismo this weekend.

I test drove a Maverick and it wasn't awful. Nowhere near as plasticky as some of Ford's other offerings lately. For most of our driving though there's no point in a hybrid.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:06 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
It's a shame the staff of the companies involved get stuck with his shenanigans. The way he's going he's shaping up to be this generation's Howard Hughes. Can we fast-forward to the "bat-****-insane hermit in a bathrobe, holed up in a penthouse" stage already?
CodyBigdog (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 01:11 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Very unlike CR to use the F bomb. Hmmmmmm.....
Lol...can you imagine someone at CR writing that? I think the comments were written by Jalopnik, not CR.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:07 PM
JoeyBagadonuts
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 20 Posts

Consumer reports lol. Rennlist people got jokes.
CodyBigdog (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 05:52 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
The list....
10. Dodge Challenger - I know someone who owns one, but would not spend money on it, sorry.
9. Mazda MX-5 Miata - when the Miata first came out, it was easy to make fun of the car, and the owners. Guess what, still is.
8. Toyota RAV4 Prime - ok, a Toyota SUV. Call me vanilla, like lights out missionary style only.
7. Toyobaru BRZ86 - I can say I don't really know much about.
6. Polestar 2 - so far the most intriguing car on the list.
5. Hyundai Ioniq 5 - retro ugly anyone. Call Doug Quaid a Johnny Cab.
4. Ford Maverick Hybrid - this body design hit every ugly branch on the way down. If Ford had Michelin stars, it would lose one for this thing.
3. Rivian R1T - maybe it is great. but 2 things. it's more ugly than aesthetically pleasing (sorry the oval lights are a fail) and no real truck buyer wants a truck without a real bumper step, fail #2.
2. Porsche 911 - not familiar with this car. j/k!!
1. Chevrolet Corvette - while I don't have any personal real experience with the C8 and the model is a major upgrade, I'm a bit meh on the overly angular-ness of it, as well as the almost Ferrari-esque interior.

Give me a Polestar 2 and a 911.
It's very interesting to see people's taste in cars. I classify cars into 4 categories.

Bars of Soap
Muffins and Loafs
Projectiles
Trucks

Trucks and projectiles are the only ones worth owning to me. And if you're gonna have a Muffin, the RAV4 is certainly the only one worth having. And the Polestar is maybe the least interesting car ever built

Last edited by VarTheVar; 08-04-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:04 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

We have a guy at work that bought a Miata. He put a roll cage on it for some reason? We teased him unmercifully. He is Canadian, which may explain the whole thing...

Quick Reply: CR’s top 10 “Most Satisfying Cars to Own” in 2023