Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your "beater" - looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

2020 Honda civic SI- 6 speed stick fun turbo car to drive and it is a Honda so it is very reliable- plus I get 33mpg overall. All my "beaters" are sticks, but it is getting tougher to find em.

I take my wife's Mercedes when we go out with another couple.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:16 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Any pickup truck. If you live in a winter climate, you can run them on salty roads without much concern. If you do any home improvement or gardening/lawn care, they come in hand in the Spring and fall. Need to take something to the dump? Or move a few things? A truck. Need to park it downtown in a not-so-great neighborhood where things get banged up? Again, a truck. Cheap to operate, and high resale values.

Mine is not a beater....but.this Ford Ranger gets driven more per year than my 992 / Cayenne GTS / Macan S (wife's).

Last edited by drcollie; 02-09-2023 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:26 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

It might be my European upbringing but I just do not understand why people who have some affinity for cars (and presumably everyone on rennlist does) would willingly drive a pickup unless they work in the trades - which makes plenty of sense. But I know a lot of people who just drive a pickup because they want to and 2-3 times a year justify by putting half of what would fit in a 992 in the pickup bed… I’ve seen people take the pickup to Home Depot to buy 6 light bulbs…
gcurnew (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:32 PM
pk27
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
It might be my European upbringing but I just do not understand why people who have some affinity for cars (and presumably everyone on rennlist does) would willingly drive a pickup unless they work in the trades - which makes plenty of sense. But I know a lot of people who just drive a pickup because they want to and 2-3 times a year justify by putting half of what would fit in a 992 in the pickup bed… I’ve seen people take the pickup to Home Depot to buy 6 light bulbs…
It's a regional thing in the US. Most affluent folk in the North East or West coast wouldn't be seen dead driving a pickup truck.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:51 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Well my Ram pulls boats weekly, but many other cars could do that. It also very roomy for my 2 full grown Labradors when I fold the rear seats up. Other cars can do that too. It's great for tailgating - but I can put most tailgating stuff in an SUV. Honestly even working with 4x8 sheets, a minivan is more ideal than a pick-up. The strong advantage of a pick-up would be it's payload capacity - and even then you really want to be in the 2500 game. There is no strong argument for a pick-up but somehow it's a must for every household IMO. I love my truck. It's big, roomy, comfortable, drives extremely smooth and quite, and is every bit luxurious as a fully loaded "enter any luxury car brand here". It's easy just to throw stuff in the back and go on your way. My bed is also carpeted and covered, so it acts as a giant trunk. Add in the fact they hold their value better than almost everything, it's a pretty good buy. So great for road trips and storing things. My life loves it because she feels safe and secure driving down the road, which safety ratings aside, you are safer because you can see over and around other cars. Maybe it's my American upbringing but I don't know why a family would not own a pick-up truck.

Last edited by adrianp89; 02-09-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:00 PM
TEXIGO
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 254 Posts

Toyota or Lexus.
4runner with that J vin still made in Japan.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:06 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

It’s regional like the other poster said. Expensive trucks are status symbols here in Florida and much of the country. Some of the hottest sellers in the car market in general.

Almost every truck I see here has a lift kit and a lot have wheels and exhaust too.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:33 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

How is that different than daily driving a sports car that is designed for the track? Neither one is optimal for that task but I don't hear much whinging over someone dailying a GT car and doing 2 track days a year, but somehow if you drive a truck that isn't towing 10,000 lbs every day some people get distressed.

Last edited by remington; 02-09-2023 at 03:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by remington:
adrianp89 (02-09-2023), Jaye Bass (02-09-2023), Wilder (02-14-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:47 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Absolutely love my AWD Tesla Model 3.
The following 2 users liked this post by alin2:
BOS911T (02-11-2023), Muckesäckele (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:48 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
How is that different than daily driving a sports car that is designed for the track? Neither one is optimal for that task but I don't hear much whinging over someone dailying a GT car and doing 2 track days a year, but somehow if you drive a truck that isn't towing 10,000 lbs every day some people get distressed.
Yea the hypocrisy is tiring. also a really nice pick up is a great travel vehicle.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:55 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Just ordered 911 T with 5K markup.
toph4242 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:30 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Trying to explain the benefits and use of a pickup truck to a Porsche owner, is very much like trying to explain the use and benefit of a Porsche to a Prius owner.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:48 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
A GT3 Cup car is designed for the track. A GT3 is designed for the street with occasional, non competitive HPDEs. A Carrera is very much designed for the street.
gcurnew (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 05:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Case in point for pickup:

Our whole house generator runs every Wednesday morning for 20". Yesterday morning I happened to be in the kitchen when it started up. It turned over, ran for about 3 seconds and then I heard some very, very bad sounds and it stopped running. Forever as it turned out. Called my electrician who services it and he came over (I knew it was dead but wanted to get a day/time he could install a replacement.) We opened the cover to a pool of oil and more oil ran out of the (cracked I assume) case every time he turned it over. "30-45 days until I can get another one. I have 12 coming in next week but they are all pre-sold." "What if I can find one?" "Go for it. I make most of my money on the installs anyhow. Good luck though."

I found one online at Costco with 7-10 days ETA but then called around and found a distributor that had one 22KW in stock that was unsold. Bought it over the phone and left immediately to pick it up. Called my guy on the way home and he's coming with his crew in the AM. It does help I have a 63HP Kubota with pallet forks - it's a little heavy but I'll be able to get it within 3 feet of the pad after lifting the dead one out.

I like Porsches AND pickups! And my Kubota of course.

The following 3 users liked this post by Keadog:
adrianp89 (02-09-2023), drcollie (02-09-2023), Fullyield (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 05:05 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by asunnyhero
Golf R - pretty close to 992 GTS performance with some additional practicality and GREAT fun (without dying) in the wet and/or snow!
My wife absolutely loves her Golf R, especially over the GTI she had previously. Definitely a lot of fun to drive.

Quick Reply: What is your "beater" - looking for recommendations