Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your "beater" - looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023 | 11:42 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srf409
Exactly. To say that affluent folks "wouldn't be caught dead in a pick up" is just stupidity and likely from someone who is insecure about their financial position in life and looking to put up a front.
I have a close friend of many years with a net worth well in excess of 50 million who drives pick ups 95% of the time. Yo Yos and losers striving for a scrap of financial validation will shun these vehicles as they interfere with the social and economic smoke screens these clowns invent.
A psychologically healthy, emotionally secure person is not handicapped with this dysfunctional mindset.
My experience is that the richer people are, the more they often crave anonymity and privacy. Consequently the last thing they want is to draw a lot of attention to bling and flash by rolling up in a green Lamborghini. They're not close friends, but I've spent a bit of time with two multi-billionaires. One of them has some crazy cars (e.g. a 250 California SWB), but both have fairly normal cars for daily stuff. One has a Bentley, but it's a 2005 or 2006 Continental GT that he's had since new, and a lot of the time he drives a Chevy Silverado. The other has a full-time driver, but is driven around in an immaculately maintained 10-ish year old S-Class, and they also have a similar vintage Mercedes GL. Their kids have been similarly indoctrinated to avoid ostentatious displays of wealth.
Old 02-10-2023 | 01:20 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Ron Reagan took a cab to interview Jimmy Stewart at home. When it was time to go, Reagan said he needed to call a cab. Stewart offered to drive him home. Reagan was interested to see what kind of car this rich-and-famous actor drove. It was a plain-jane Honda Civic.

Last edited by FlipE; 02-10-2023 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bluelines1974 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 01:29 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Weather here in Minnesota can be ... inconvenient. I like having something that can take a pile of 4x8 sheets and keep them dry. Or carry 8 adults in harnesses. Or waltz through two feet of fresh snow. Or tow big trailers at the speed limit virtually anywhere in the 48.
Fullyield (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 03:09 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Not sure why people are bringing status into the discussion. I just said I don’t understand why someone who appreciates the dynamics of a sports car would choose a pickup (because they don’t handle well, have no steering feel, are slow to respond, etc..) I couldn’t possibly care less about status. Yes I like sports cars and have a few but never drive most to work, have never had a social media account and my favorite car color is silver.

Status has nothing to do with it and I don’t judge anyone by what they drive. I’m just genuinely curious what people enjoy about pickups if they don’t need it for utilitarian reasons.

Last edited by RudyP; 02-10-2023 at 03:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
gcurnew (02-10-2023), rk-d (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 03:19 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

I drove a Wrangler as a beater but sold it last year and now drive a Cayenne, which is hardly a beater. I do miss the Wrangler though and will get another, someday.
Old 02-10-2023 | 03:31 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by RudyP
Not sure why people are bringing status into the discussion. I just said I don’t understand why someone who appreciates the dynamics of a sports car would choose a pickup (because they don’t handle well, have no steering feel, are slow to respond, etc..) I couldn’t possibly care less about status. Yes I like sports cars and have a few but never drive most to work, have never had a social media account and my favorite car color is silver.

Status has nothing to do with it and I don’t judge anyone by what they drive. I’m just genuinely curious what people enjoy about pickups if they don’t need it for utilitarian reasons.
I think the replies are directed more at post 49 rather than your post.
RudyP (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 08:31 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

I split driving duties between a 997.2 GT3 and a Q5. The Q5 is a better family hauler, but it is not nearly as fun as my old Nissan Frontier, which my mother in law purchased from me. I really liked that truck. Still do.
Old 02-10-2023 | 10:26 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

I don't give a c**p what anyone else drives, and care even less about how much money other people have. And what I drive has nothing whatsoever to do with status, my manhood or anything else people might imagine...I have only two-seater sports cars because that's what I like, and have liked and driven almost exclusively for 40+ years. I don't have SUVs or trucks simply because I don't like driving them and don't need them. I regularly load up my 911 and Supra with big loads from Home Depot (bricks, plants, cleaning supplies for my shop, etc) and If I really do need a truck - which happens maybe once every two years - I just rent one.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
Pcar81 (02-13-2023), RudyP (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 10:38 PM
Trini
Advanced

Get any Lexus within that price range. You get no tech but a touch of luxury and years of dependability.
Old 02-10-2023 | 11:03 PM
phila12180
Racer

Honda Pilot here.
Old 02-10-2023 | 11:06 PM
ron4sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by srf409
Exactly. To say that affluent folks "wouldn't be caught dead in a pick up" is just stupidity and likely from someone who is insecure about their financial position in life and looking to put up a front.
I have a close friend of many years with a net worth well in excess of 50 million who drives pick ups 95% of the time. Yo Yos and losers striving for a scrap of financial validation will shun these vehicles as they interfere with the social and economic smoke screens these clowns invent.
A psychologically healthy, emotionally secure person is not handicapped with this dysfunctional mindset.
Many years ago, the book "The Millionaire Next Door" indicated that a pickup truck was the most popular vehicle for people with a net worth over a million dollars. Millionaires were more likely to shop at Walmart than at Neiman Marcus. While not a pickup truck, I'm rocking a 25-year-old Toyota 4Runner that the children love to drive too. It has over 200k miles and if someone were to judge me based on that car, they would be wildly wrong about our lifestyle or how we are doing.

And since any financially illiterate milinieal with a full-time job and living in their parent's house can lease a 911, the lesson is not to judge people based on the car they drive.

Last edited by ron4sc; 02-10-2023 at 11:08 PM.
dixonk (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 11:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron4sc
Many years ago, the book "The Millionaire Next Door" indicated that a pickup truck was the most popular vehicle for people with a net worth over a million dollars. Millionaires were more likely to shop at Walmart than at Neiman Marcus. While not a pickup truck, I'm rocking a 25-year-old Toyota 4Runner that the children love to drive too. It has over 200k miles and if someone were to judge me based on that car, they would be wildly wrong about our lifestyle or how we are doing.

And since any financially illiterate milinieal with a full-time job and living in their parent's house can lease a 911, the lesson is not to judge people based on the car they drive.
Late 90s 3rd gen 4Runner is one of the best looking SUVs ever made.
ron4sc (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023 | 12:46 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I don't give a c**p what anyone else drives
Sam ting.
Old 02-11-2023 | 01:21 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron4sc

I can’t remember where I read it but a couple years ago I remember reading something along the lines of the average annual income of a Lamborghini owner was around 300k per year and the preferred vehicle for folks earning 1mil or more was a F150. Based on my limited anecdotal experience I find this to be pretty accurate.

Mitch from M Engineering touched on something similar in his Smoking Tire podcast with Porsche buyers being more affluent and guarded with their money and McLaren owners being younger buyers with high payments. A flashier car is not a good indicator of wealth. Often times neither is having some huge house.
Old 02-11-2023 | 10:12 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Our beater is a 2020 BMW 430 cabriolet. It's great on fuel, has the top down fun, and still kinda fun. We have a 2020 Ford ExploDer that just sits plugged in to the battery tender waiting for the company that always shows up or the larger items that needs hauling, that used to be the beater until we got the BMW beater.

Quick Reply: What is your "beater" - looking for recommendations