Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you spec your 911T with Standard Interior or Full leather?
Standard interior
38.99%
Full leather
61.01%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

992 T - Full Leather or Standard Interior - Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 11:08 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.
If there wasn't stitching, how many would be able to tell if it was leather or not?
I went to a dealership to look at a standard interior. I could tell for sure. It looked like my Macan with standard interior. I also have a Taycan with standard interior which has different material and looks much nicer. I was hoping for that material in the 911, but it wasn’t so. As a result, I went with full racetex/leather in my GTS. I even tried to option extended leather, but it wasn’t available.
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (05-17-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

@itrocks4u too many absolutist responses. The right answer is that it depends. It depends on what you want from the car and how you view the T. I have a GT3 with standard interior. I think full leather would look out of place in that car. It's a track tool. The T conjures up similar meaning. I went stripper with functional options (only added extended fuel tank) and spent $11k on what amounts to texture and color options in the interior. Why? Because this is my weekend, date, roadtrip car and I wanted a nice cabin. My Macan is my daily and it's similarly optioned. It's a nice place to be. The morning after I submitted my final build, I called my SA and tried to change it to literally zero options. I mean a $117k car. I thought it'd be fun to build a 73 RS tribute and to do so I needed the spartan interior. I was too late. Ultimately, I'm happy with my original choice. Also, you mentioned trading for an S. I hope you change your mind one you get your T, especially if you spec it correctly. Ss are common. Ts are not. But whatever you do, don't spec your car for the next guy.

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I'm going through the same dilemma right now, was trying to stay under $140k, but the leather upgrade blows that up to $144k. I had the plastic dash on my 991.2 T, it was OK but it did bug me a bit. That car was also almost HALF the price of the 992 T (I bought it used for $84k).

Here's my current build with leather (locks in 2 weeks) https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRTZ8VQ6
Does it make sense to nickel and dime on a $100k+ car? You're talking 3% here. Just get it if you want it.

Originally Posted by Snipe10
Schn311, Almost identical to my build and price, even same color! I have the leather ($4350) right now with rear wheel steering which I'm thinking of dropping. I did go for the 18 way seats as I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and need the comfort which I'm told the 18 way provides better than the standard. Would like to save about $8-$10K by dropping rear wheel steering, leather and the 18 way seats but am worried about regretting it down the road.
As per above, you're talking about 6%. Just get what you want. Personally, I passed on RWS despite being on the fence. No regrets. Didn't pass on leather. Didn't care for 18 ways. Your needs/wants may vary.
Vernin (05-17-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:57 PM
sfnyc
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I vote standard.

It’s a diminishing ROI the further you get from base price of the trim you’re looking at, but personally, premium package is a must in my case, and everything else is examined from the aspect of how it will enhance my driving experience. You can spend thousands race-tex’ing all the things in my GTS, but why, other than to make everything look cohesive.
My experience with other P owners around where I live and those posting on here is that a lot of people talk about the "driving experience" but end up spending more time fixated on stitching, leather, PPF, stereos, and whatnot. I have only purchased stripper cars from GT3 to the T as I focus on the driving. everything else is soon forgotten.
The following 2 users liked this post by sfnyc:
2020Spyder (05-12-2023), dchang81 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 04:09 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

I ended up going with the leather and went over my self imposed $140k budget.

Just the black stitching though - I feel like that fits the ethos of the vintage 911's better (and it's cheaper). And part of me thinks that natural leather options may be going away like the combustion engine soon. Now or never and I plan on keeping this car as long as possible. My last 2 cars have lasted 6 months each so who knows!
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Icegrill (07-17-2023), Vernin (05-17-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:33 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Just the black stitching though - I feel like that fits the ethos of the vintage 911's better (and it's cheaper). And part of me thinks that natural leather options may be going away like the combustion engine soon. Now or never and I plan on keeping this car as long as possible. My last 2 cars have lasted 6 months each so who knows!
Good call.

Also think about surround view if you haven't. Rennlist requires you to have Surround view on your 992.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:36 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Got it, I need the surround view - tight parking in garage next to my wife's Panamera: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRQUSIR2
Old 05-15-2023, 09:19 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Got it, I need the surround view - tight parking in garage next to my wife's Panamera: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRQUSIR2
Looks great!

Why don't you think about adding a pop for seatbelts instead of silver? Perhaps red? That would mean the interior trim would need to go back to default.
The money you save from interior trim in exterior color can be used towards the $900 exclusive clear taillight. I think that would look awesome on silver.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:40 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Looks great!

Why don't you think about adding a pop for seatbelts instead of silver? Perhaps red? That would mean the interior trim would need to go back to default.
The money you save from interior trim in exterior color can be used towards the $900 exclusive clear taillight. I think that would look awesome on silver.
Thanks, so I have my very particular reasoning. I’m a bit of a nut when it comes to this stuff.

I came from a 991.2 T and the gloss black trim was annoying (finger print magnet). And even though it had the Carrera T interior package in silver stitch, it still felt like a dark void inside. I was kind of dead set on the painted interior trim with a light (non-color color, ie white, chalk or IGM) to brighten it up inside. And it’s a free option that’s $1,300 on any other 911. I am also pondering keeping the painted trim on the doors but changing the dash and cup holder trim to Paldao wood from Suncoast for an old school look.

I wanted the silver seatbelts to match (as close as possible to the paint and seat inserts) as well. I didn’t want a ton of color since the T is all about grey (agate).

I also went with full black leather / black stitch because both T options would look like too many different colors inside - lizard green would have worked best I suppose. And the all black / black is a throwback to the old 911’s before people went stitch crazy.

I have a CT4 V Blackwing now with red seatbelts and it’s not my favorite. However seatbelts can be changed later, too.

I thought of the exclusive tails and the sport design front bumper but I wanted to be a bit more pure and not be confused with a GTS. And I’m not a huge fan of the sport design rear, so I would only go front, but they lock you into the paint matched front lip which I didn’t want (rock chip magnet).

I was trying to build the car with the mindset of simple elegance and have it unmistakable as a T.

I’ve thought WAYYYY too hard about this as you can all see…
itrocks4u (05-16-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:45 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I also went with full black leather / black stitch
I just saw this exact interior. It looks amazing. You'll be very pleased. I went through much of the same logic as you did. I think many of us overthought this and ultimately will end up with cars that are meaningful to us. I almost got the leather interior with black stitching and then decided to add GT Silver stitching. I think it might've been a waste of money after seeing your twin today.
Schn3ll (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 03:07 AM
Roadworrier
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sfnyc
My experience with other P owners around where I live and those posting on here is that a lot of people talk about the "driving experience" but end up spending more time fixated on stitching, leather, PPF, stereos, and whatnot. I have only purchased stripper cars from GT3 to the T as I focus on the driving. everything else is soon forgotten.
Doug DeMuro makes a point in his T review with his making fun of Porsche owners who are obsessed about "the spec" and "the stitching" and car meets instead of driving the thing. I do have a few friends who would rather go to a dealer promotional event (standing around looking at GT cars and old Porsches in a showroom while eating food truck food, snacks and ordinary beer / wine) or go to a cars-and-coffee and ogle the Lambos than do a group drive to a nice restaurant in the country.

Last edited by Roadworrier; 05-16-2023 at 03:08 AM.
Tobeit (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 08:14 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
Doug DeMuro makes a point in his T review with his making fun of Porsche owners who are obsessed about "the spec" and "the stitching" and car meets instead of driving the thing. I do have a few friends who would rather go to a dealer promotional event (standing around looking at GT cars and old Porsches in a showroom while eating food truck food, snacks and ordinary beer / wine) or go to a cars-and-coffee and ogle the Lambos than do a group drive to a nice restaurant in the country.
The counterpoint to this is if someone spends the time to make it their perfect idea of a spec, they may be more inclined to keep it instead of speccing it for the next guy. No wrong answer here. My last T was purchased second hand, and there were things I would have liked if I had specced it myself, which is why I let it go and ordered a new one exactly how I wanted it. But totally agree some get way too wrapped up in what others think, I could care less, and we could drive them how Porsche intended more often as well!

Remember, there are no bad 911's.
Tobeit (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 11:21 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

I also went with full black leather / black stitch because both T options would look like too many different colors inside - lizard green would have worked best I suppose. And the all black / black is a throwback to the old 911’s before people went stitch crazy.
Well said. Less expensive for a more classic look. Sometimes less is more.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:17 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

I changed my mind about leather at the very last moment.

I had Shark Blue, RS Spyder design wheels and the Rear Axle Steer (RAS) as part of my build for MONTHS. As well as power steering plus, fire extinguisher, ambient lighting, and a couple of other small ticky tacky options that I didn't really care about. I also had the most basic interior but with the 18 way seats as I believe lumbar adjustment is absolutely critical for comfort.

However, just a few days before my build was going to lock in, I had an extreme change of heart, not only because I really didn't want to spend so much money on a car with a plastic dashboard, but because I realized a few of things. (speccing a Porsche is friggin stressful)

1- I realized that I don't actually want the RAS. I'm getting a manual transmission, which gives me a conventional limited slip instead of the electronic one, and I decided I want a conventional rear axle as well. It's the most analog version of the car that you can build, which is generally what I like. I don't like feeling electronics at work while I drive. Plus after reading about the speed ranges at which RAS operates it totally turned me off to it anyhow.
2- I realized that Racing Yellow is the ONLY cool option that Porsche gives us for FREE. Well and Guard's Red too I suppose. I wanted a Skittles car, and although I love Shark Blue, Racing Yellow is 99% as good to me for FREE.
3- I realized the base wheels are really attractive. I also realized I could change the wheels on my car at any time during my ownership. I can't say the same about the interior
4- I realized all those small options were stuff I checked just because they were cheap, and I didn't actually care about them.

So at the final moment, I went with the $4500 leather interior AND the $3500 deviated stitching and removed all those other things above. And I'm so glad that I did. It adds so much character to the interior of the car. As well as Racing Yellow on the chrono clock and tachometer.

One you poke your head through the window of a car with and without leather and a bright stitching, there's no comparison.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:55 PM
Tranceparent
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
Going with the standard interior, feels like it fits the T. Also my first 911 so in some ways you can say I dont know what I'm missing.
Did you end up getting Standard interior? How are you liking it? My build locks next week and am thinking of going standard interior stripper build, i have a full leather F80 CS, so not sure if I’ll miss it in the T.

If you have any pictures of the interior you are willing to post, that would be great too
Old 10-19-2023, 06:41 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I changed my mind about leather at the very last moment.

I had Shark Blue, RS Spyder design wheels and the Rear Axle Steer (RAS) as part of my build for MONTHS. As well as power steering plus, fire extinguisher, ambient lighting, and a couple of other small ticky tacky options that I didn't really care about. I also had the most basic interior but with the 18 way seats as I believe lumbar adjustment is absolutely critical for comfort.

However, just a few days before my build was going to lock in, I had an extreme change of heart, not only because I really didn't want to spend so much money on a car with a plastic dashboard, but because I realized a few of things. (speccing a Porsche is friggin stressful)

1- I realized that I don't actually want the RAS. I'm getting a manual transmission, which gives me a conventional limited slip instead of the electronic one, and I decided I want a conventional rear axle as well. It's the most analog version of the car that you can build, which is generally what I like. I don't like feeling electronics at work while I drive. Plus after reading about the speed ranges at which RAS operates it totally turned me off to it anyhow.
2- I realized that Racing Yellow is the ONLY cool option that Porsche gives us for FREE. Well and Guard's Red too I suppose. I wanted a Skittles car, and although I love Shark Blue, Racing Yellow is 99% as good to me for FREE.
3- I realized the base wheels are really attractive. I also realized I could change the wheels on my car at any time during my ownership. I can't say the same about the interior
4- I realized all those small options were stuff I checked just because they were cheap, and I didn't actually care about them.

So at the final moment, I went with the $4500 leather interior AND the $3500 deviated stitching and removed all those other things above. And I'm so glad that I did. It adds so much character to the interior of the car. As well as Racing Yellow on the chrono clock and tachometer.

One you poke your head through the window of a car with and without leather and a bright stitching, there's no comparison.
You just described pretty much my process.

I went back and forth on RAS, wanted the Spyders until I found out how much they weigh, and considered a few knick kancks that didn't add to the car. Ended up with the most functional and basic configuration but with a nice intereior. My options are basically large gas tank, roof rack supports, wheel locks, full leather, deviated stitching, deviated belts, and colored dials. That's it. Mine came with Bose standard, so I won that lottery. For me this is the perfect way to spec a driver focued T. The money spent on the interior is silly on paper but worth every penny when you're in the cabin. I've seen a few other Ts and I wouldn't take any of them over mine. Enjoy your car!
VarTheVar (10-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 T - Full Leather or Standard Interior - Poll