Stuck spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 01:37 PM
DrNole
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck spoiler

Hey All,

Long time follower, first time poster. Purchased my first 911 in November a new 992C2. Purchased the car at a dealer in Boston and drove it all the way home to Louisiana. Have loved everything about the car to this point! Was diving this weekend in wet conditions when the car prompted me to switch to wet mode, which I did without issue. When I parked the spoiler was extended to intermediate mode. I attempted to manually lower it but it will not move. I attempted to switch to different drive modes, same issue. I let the car sit overnight, rise and repeat, same issue. There is nothing obstructing the spoiler that I can see, it seemingly is just frozen.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the spoiler lowered? Closest dealers to me are in Baton Rouge and Houston, both two plus hours away! Both of which also wont give me a loaner as I don't live in close proximity nor did I purchase the car from them, which I understand....to an extent. I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2023, 01:39 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? Maybe that may reset the system? Are you getting any warning messages on the dashboard or on the PCM? What happens when you go to the screen to raise/lower the spoiler manually and push the button? Does the display show any animation of the spoiler coming down? Or does it just stay in the up position? Any message showing on the PCM screen?
Old 02-06-2023, 01:42 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Fuses checked?
The following 2 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
AlterZgo (02-06-2023), DrNole (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 01:46 PM
DrNole
7th Gear

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it would help if I provided more information, sorry about that! Haven't reconnected the battery. No error or warning messages on dash or PCM. When I go to manually adjust the spoiler I get the normal message of push and hold to lower. I do so and literally nothing happens. The display gives me the animation of the spoiler but it just stays highlighted. Eventually after a minute or so the spoiler box will uncheck itself, I'm assuming it thinks its completed lowering?
Old 02-06-2023, 01:46 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 947 Posts

Do you have a camera pointed at it. 992 spoilers are infamously known to peacock for cameras.
The following 7 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
adrianp89 (02-06-2023), asunnyhero (02-07-2023), Jeff Whitten (03-09-2024), offminorthreat (02-16-2023), Radiationman (02-06-2023), tourenwagen (02-16-2023), UncleDude (03-08-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-06-2023, 02:47 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Given how instrumented these cars are and how integral the spoiler is to the driving safety of the car, I'd be shocked if an out of position spoiler wasn't throwing some kind of very loud warning. I'd check what others have mentioned: Fuses, 'user error', then disconnect the battery. If you have Sport Plus then you can move the selector to Sport Plus mode and drive around a bit and the spoiler should be pretty active...

Last edited by jlegelis; 02-06-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:58 PM
DrNole
7th Gear

Thanks all for the suggestions! I will check the fuses, then try to disconnect the battery. I have experimented with all drive modes, including sport plus. The spoiler remains in intermediate mode throughout the different mode cycles. Certainly will not take offense to the "user error" comment haha... if only there was a rotation during medical school where we learned the things that really matter! Perhaps I'd have better luck if this was a broken bone.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:08 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DrNole
Thanks all for the suggestions! I will check the fuses, then try to disconnect the battery. I have experimented with all drive modes, including sport plus. The spoiler remains in intermediate mode throughout the different mode cycles. Certainly will not take offense to the "user error" comment haha... if only there was a rotation during medical school where we learned the things that really matter! Perhaps I'd have better luck if this was a broken bone.
Have you actually driven the car with the other modes, or just trying them while in park. If not I have noticed if I had mine up when I parked it would stay like that until I switched modes and drove it a bit and then it went down.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:27 PM
DrNole
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 992gts
Have you actually driven the car with the other modes, or just trying them while in park. If not I have noticed if I had mine up when I parked it would stay like that until I switched modes and drove it a bit and then it went down.

I have driven in the other modes but now that I think about it, I haven't returned the car to wet mode, which was the mode I was in originally. Will try this later today also. Thank you!!
Old 02-06-2023, 03:30 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

RTFM?

The following 2 users liked this post by jlegelis:
BOSSOB (02-07-2023), DrNole (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 03:51 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Maybe too simple: you need to keep pressing the dash button to lower the spoiler - quick tab will not do anything. Also, you say its in "intermediate" - base C2's have only one spoiler position - to my best knowledge.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:07 PM
DrNole
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Maybe too simple: you need to keep pressing the dash button to lower the spoiler - quick tab will not do anything. Also, you say its in "intermediate" - base C2's have only one spoiler position - to my best knowledge.

I appreciate the response. Despite the post above, the manual was actually my first stop. I've done both the push and hold and the quick push methods as listed without success. The reason I keep saying intermediate position is that I did get one message on my dash that flashed then immediately went away that said something along the lines of "your spoiler is in the intermediate position." This was after my very first attempt at lowering it while the car was stationary. No other mentions of errors or any dash or PCM indications. I'm sure jlegelis will educate us both on spoiler positions for C2s, clearly this is out of this old swamp rats wheelhouse.

Last edited by DrNole; 02-06-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:12 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrNole
I appreciate the response. Despite the post above, the manual was actually my first stop. I've done both the push and hold and the quick push methods as listed without success. The reason I keep saying intermediate position is that I did get one message on my dash that flashed then immediately went away that said something along the lines of "your spoiler is in the intermediate position." This was after my very first attempt at lowering it while the car was stationary. No other mentions of errors or any dash or PCM indications. I'm sure jlegelis will educate us both on spoiler positions for C2s, clearly this is out of this old swamp rats wheelhouse.
Mhm, well I was afraid that this would be too simple. I have a base C2 and only see one position - at least from what I can tell. What I never tried is lowering it a little and release the button before fully lowered...maybe it says "intermediate" then. Lets see what the experts say here
Old 02-06-2023, 04:17 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

I think "intermediate" here is the "eco intermediate position" that the wing deploys for minimizing fuel consumption.

The additional Eco intermediate position is completely new. This spoiler position creates the lowest aerodynamic resistance, thus minimizing fuel consumption.

OP: Do you have a sunroof? Generally when you open the sunroof and drive on the highway, the spoiler deploys higher than normal. Try driving it open on the highway and see if it deploys higher (you should be able to see it in your rear view mirror). Maybe it would reset itself?
Old 02-06-2023, 04:20 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woobiee
I think "intermediate" here is the "eco intermediate position" that the wing deploys for minimizing fuel consumption.

The additional Eco intermediate position is completely new. This spoiler position creates the lowest aerodynamic resistance, thus minimizing fuel consumption.

OP: Do you have a sunroof? Generally when you open the sunroof and drive on the highway, the spoiler deploys higher than normal. Try driving it open on the highway and see if it deploys higher (you should be able to see it in your rear view mirror). Maybe it would reset itself?
This gets more confusing...my C2 always looks to be the same position regardless of drive mode...and its always too low to be visible through the rear window. Only since the time I added the lip spoiler I can see it and I always see it in the same position (with or w/o sunroof open).....but I barely drive in Comfort mode.

Quick Reply: Stuck spoiler