Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next round of allocations? Jan/Feb

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 11:35 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Hoping I get some feedback form other members experience so I can make a decision on wether this is normal to lock the allocation in.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:37 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigred911s
My dealer just informed me they have an allocation for a Carrera T and I would have to lock in within the next two days. The catch is to get it at MSRP I need a trade-in or purchase a Porsche Design watch which start at $5k and up. Has anyone else run into this?
Many, many people. Tons of posts on this.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:03 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed911
Hoping I get some feedback form other members experience so I can make a decision on wether this is normal to lock the allocation in.
Yes - this is normal. You can either

i) See if you like the watch and need one, that's a nice way to spend $5K
ii) trade-in without watch
iii) negotiate to exactly what YOU want i.e. if you dont need the T right now and content with what you have, say no. Alternatively propose what you want.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:02 AM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxjoc
One day I hope to be able to send a post like yours. Sadly, I am just a lowly person with a demand order for a Targa 4S placed in November 2021. I am still #2 on "the list" and my dealer suggests that I should have an allocation this spring. That sounds like May 2023. We'll see. By the way, this will be my first Porsche, I have nothing to trade but would be willing to pay for some required add ons (but not a watch!).
I assume the size/volume of the dealer makes a difference. I’m #2 as well at smaller dealership since last March. I got on another smaller dealerships list as #2 last week. I highly doubt either will get 2 of any trim in any quarter. At a larger dealer the lists are so much larger.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.
I assume the size/volume of the dealer makes a difference. I’m #2 as well at smaller dealership since last March. I got on another smaller dealerships list as #2 last week. I highly doubt either will get 2 of any trim in any quarter. At a larger dealer the lists are so much larger.
From what I've deduced, it's volume of the dealership. The dealers that sell more get more allocations. It is frustrating to be on a list and see an unsold car show up at another dealer.
Porsche USA is giving preference to volume dealers and they don't look at the lists to place cars.

Reasoning: TWO C4 coupes are available in SoCal (Irvine and South Bay). Each car is built and is unsold. It seems they were locked in Nov/Dec 2022. I've been on a list with smaller east coast dealer since Jan 2022. If Porsche gave a crap about the lists and people, one of the cars would've gone to a spot on a list. Instead it goes to the dealer for general sale.

Last edited by Shambler; 02-11-2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: corrected dealer name
Old 02-11-2023, 12:52 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Thanks for confirming. So essentially buying the car with a $5k markup lol. I really don’t need another watch, my wife and I have several Rolex’s we gifted each other last year - for our anniversary and Christmas. But I still went on the website and the watch I would buy is out of stock like many others on their website. I’m guessing you place an order and just wait until it’s back in stock? Similar to waiting for the factory to build the car the customer orders 😂

I’ll call the dealer and get clarification on the watch order. I’m guessing I would show them the order and they lock my allocation in?

Thanks again for all the feedback on this!
Old 02-11-2023, 01:16 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed911
Thanks for confirming. So essentially buying the car with a $5k markup lol. I really don’t need another watch, my wife and I have several Rolex’s we gifted each other last year - for our anniversary and Christmas. But I still went on the website and the watch I would buy is out of stock like many others on their website. I’m guessing you place an order and just wait until it’s back in stock? Similar to waiting for the factory to build the car the customer orders 😂

I’ll call the dealer and get clarification on the watch order. I’m guessing I would show them the order and they lock my allocation in?

Thanks again for all the feedback on this!
My guess is that they want you to buy the watch from them and not from the website. The dealer is trying to pump up the sales in their accessory store so they don't want you ordering via Porsche's website.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:29 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Good point. You are probably right about the watch. Waiting to hear back from the dealer.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:02 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm sure Porsche AG is pushing dealers to sell more watches. Before, they were pushing dealers to sell more European Delivery, and now all spots are booked. Allocations are the best sales incentives they have.

If you want the car without a watch, try to negotiate something that may have more value to you, but still increases dealership margins.

Wheel/tire protection. Let them arrange financing if you were planning to finance. Extended warranty. Dealer preferred PPF vendor. Agree to minimum option build on your car. Prepaid annual service plan.

All the dealer is looking to do is maximize margin, satisfy PAG goals, while maintain the appearance of a MSRP dealer. Most of those options above probably help them and might be aligned with something you would want already.
The following users liked this post:
Billy Bluejay (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 02:25 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Good recommendations thanks. I will pursue these options with the dealer.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:37 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
I'm sure Porsche AG is pushing dealers to sell more watches. Before, they were pushing dealers to sell more European Delivery, and now all spots are booked. Allocations are the best sales incentives they have.

If you want the car without a watch, try to negotiate something that may have more value to you, but still increases dealership margins.

Wheel/tire protection. Let them arrange financing if you were planning to finance. Extended warranty. Dealer preferred PPF vendor. Agree to minimum option build on your car. Prepaid annual service plan.

All the dealer is looking to do is maximize margin, satisfy PAG goals, while maintain the appearance of a MSRP dealer. Most of those options above probably help them and might be aligned with something you would want already.

^^^This is spot on..
Old 02-11-2023, 11:15 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

"Agree to minimum option build", what does this mean?
Old 02-12-2023, 12:26 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

The watches are high margin, and relatively high priced which is why they are pushing them...they probably have a 50% markup at the dealer.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:38 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
"Agree to minimum option build", what does this mean?
Dealer margins on specced options are higher than the margin on the base car itself. I just meant, agree to something like $35k in options if getting an allocation at MSRP, but only if you value those options.

I agree the watches are very high margin, and PAG either has sales goals or incentives tied to dealers selling them.

A $5k watch probably is $2500-$3000 profit to the dealer (plus makes Porsche AG happy)

My point is if a customer offers is willing to buy enough add-ons that generates similar or more excess profit for the dealer, most dealers would entertain that.

Going back to car options, I believe most are 15% margin to the dealer, so agreeing to a spec that is $20k higher than an average Carrera T build should make the dealer happy, but some combination of the ideas I provided above should work.

I'm also talking in general terms about how a dealer would think about it. Some dealers have more rigid policies than others.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
The watches are high margin, and relatively high priced which is why they are pushing them...they probably have a 50% markup at the dealer.
Try 90%, if not more.

Quick Reply: Next round of allocations? Jan/Feb