Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche finance & lease rates 2023

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 10:26 AM
Budman1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

It is interesting to get some of the 'behind the curtains' F&I info from dealer folks who are 'in the know'. Pretty much confirms the old adage that the F&I person is just another salesperson.

When we picked up our 992 a few years back we brought our own financing - which their F&I person said was the last they would accept. Of course, he was more than a bit sour that we purchased nothing extra - no rim or key fob protection, no deferred maintenance, nothing.

Its not that we were special for saying no to any extras (am sure most Porsche buyers are the same), but what stood out was how rude the guy was in the process. Thankfully, every other part of the ordering & purchase experience was top notch.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:36 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts

The F&I guy always bothered me. The salesman just spent his time going through the car and making a point about the reliability of the vehicle and then you sit in the finance office and this dude is scaring you into crazy repair costs based on unreliability of certain components.

For the most part here people grab the windshield and tire and wheel and leave the rest on the table. I haven’t lost on the windshield warranty yet with our roads and trucks, and wheel and tire I usually pick up a few new rears to close the gap and the rest is just insurance for bent wheels.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:50 AM
Crusje
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman1
When we picked up our 992 a few years back we brought our own financing - which their F&I person said was the last they would accept. Of course, he was more than a bit sour that we purchased nothing extra - no rim or key fob protection, no deferred maintenance, nothing.
Yep. I bought an X5 in cash last year and the lady was flabbergasted why I wouldn't get any warranty, insurance, etc. It was like 6k or something for 5 years, but the car already comes with a 4 year warranty so it made no sense. She was trying to make me feel bad saying it's expensive to fix and this is peace of mind. So painful.
​​​I'd rather just have a "spinner" that just signs paperwork like that guy mentioned to be honest.
The following users liked this post:
Budman1 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:11 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 429 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
It’s a good thing us Porsche buyers are a lot more intelligent and brighter than those poor old Ford/Chevy/dodge buyers are right?

This place sometimes
Sorry I was not referring to our intelligence, nor anybody else', lots of smart people are around these days. But I do think that buyers of cars costing what ours do, $150,000-$350,000, tend to do more research on things like interest rates, extended warranties, gap, wheel protection etc. Again YMMV.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:17 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

I remember when I was buying a GTI a few years back, the Finance lady tried to tell me that the standard warranty covers parts but not the labor. I was shocked and challenged her on it asking a few questions and she immediately back pedaled. Crazy. She must try that with every buyer, hoping someone bites.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:23 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
Just out of curiosity do you have a problem with some person that works 80 hours a week putting together financing paperwork at a car dealership making $200,000 a year? If you do, would you care to explain why? I genuinely would like to know.
Do I ? I do not. I'm actually on your side with this topic 100%. Between the hours involved, and the amount of work required day to day, F&I managers earn the money they make. Why do people have a problem with the money they earn?
The following 2 users liked this post by vladie22:
Motorin Mark (05-14-2024), Patton250 (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 12:12 PM
redtanrt10
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman1
It is interesting to get some of the 'behind the curtains' F&I info from dealer folks who are 'in the know'. Pretty much confirms the old adage that the F&I person is just another salesperson.

Its not that we were special for saying no to any extras (am sure most Porsche buyers are the same), but what stood out was how rude the guy was in the process. Thankfully, every other part of the ordering & purchase experience was top notch.
Budman, If you look at Q1 data from the "Big 6" public dealership groups, F&I income is approximately 25% of the total profit on new and used cars sold at retail. Porsche is a unique and small brand so that number is directionally correct for Porsche dealers. F&I income critical profit center for all auto dealers, and the vast majority of that profit comes from product sales, not facilitating financing.
Budman1 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:22 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by redtanrt10
Budman, If you look at Q1 data from the "Big 6" public dealership groups, F&I income is approximately 25% of the total profit on new and used cars sold at retail. Porsche is a unique and small brand so that number is directionally correct for Porsche dealers. F&I income critical profit center for all auto dealers, and the vast majority of that profit comes from product sales, not facilitating financing.
Because the dollar amounts are a lot higher than "normal" cars, F&I profit is split pretty equally between reserve and product sales.
Tedster (05-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche finance & lease rates 2023