Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Exhaust Advice Request

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 10:19 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust Advice Request

I recently purchased a 2022 CPO 911. It did not come with PSE but had most of what I was looking for and only 1000 miles on it. I knew I would likely do something with the exhaust, and now that I sold my GT4 Akrapovic exhaust I am itching for an upgrade to the 911. The following options seem like the easiest for me, if you have any experience with these exhaust options I will appreciate your input. Or if you have other recommendations feel free to post them.

Porsche PSE - For sale at Suncoast for $3895 (special order from Germany with shipping costs involved). This price includes a new rear valance and tips, requires dealer activation (not sure if my dealer will activate something I purchased from a different dealer), my car does not have the exhaust button, just the Sport button (so would it even work properly?). Probably doesn't sound that great for the money spent? It is a stock part, no warranty issues.

Soul 992 Valved Exhaust - $4555 shipped from Suncoast. I have owned Soul exhaust parts before and I felt like that were good quality. I will not have to change the rear valance or stock tips. Easy installation, do not have to deal with the dealer.

Akrapovic Slip-On Race Line Exhaust - I found a slightly used one for $5000 shipped. I have had several Akra exhausts in the past and I really liked them. Includes the Akra tips but I will have to replace the rear valance. Easy installation and no dealer involvement.

Fabspeed Cat-back Valvetronic Exhaust - $5245 shipped. I have had Fabspeed components before and I felt like they are good quality. I will not have to replace the rear valance or tips. Easy installation and I do not have to deal with the dealer.

JCR Ti Center Valved Exhaust - $5245 USD plus whatever shipping is involved from England. Not sure if I will have to replace the rear valance and tips or not? There is not a US dealer that I can find so warranty issues might be difficult to deal with. Importing and US Customs are not fun to deal with. Installation looks simple and dealer involvement required.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2023, 10:27 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

You can look this up - the PSE is merely software. All the hardware is aesthetic, though OEM will give you a button I guess.

A lot of dealers activated this feature for people. You could get an indy Porsche shop to do the same.

The 992 has more intrusive valves that open and close dynamically. It's not like the 991 style on/off vacuum actuated valves that could be plugged with a screw. I think this is the reason that a lot of the aftermarket exhausts aren't super impressive. Non-valved exhaust options do exist.

Of those on your list, I think Soul, JCR and Akra are all quality options.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:59 AM
fishpigkb
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The PSE is a different muffler than non-PSE, but then there is the software on/off button that will need to be programmed. I have stock exhaust and had the on/off button programmed since the stock setup still has valves and still behaves the same as PSE. However, you'll get more volume with low cell count cats or cat bypasses (but dirty/stinky). Take a look at Europipe too, I'm at least going to go with their cats.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

We can get you some savings on the Soul exhaust or the Akrapovic valence if you decide to go that route. I always like to go aftermarket vs OEM as I feel like OEM is never loud enough. Thats my personal preference.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 01-24-2023, 12:36 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I would strongly recommend against getting the PSE. It is less than underwhelming. I can hardly tell any difference btw normal and sport modes. It only woke up once my car was tuned and I had them force exhaust valves open 100%.

Another option you can consider is the Quick Silver exhaust which is priced around $3600 or so and fits cars with or without PSE so you can keep the quad pipes which, IMO looks much better than the large ovals.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:45 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

OP. Have you considered Kline?

Last edited by Shogunade; 01-24-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:59 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Kline does sound nice! I see the SS version on eBay for $4268 + $250 shipping.

Last edited by blackland; 01-24-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:48 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rk-d
You can look this up - the PSE is merely software. All the hardware is aesthetic, though OEM will give you a button I guess.

A lot of dealers activated this feature for people. You could get an indy Porsche shop to do the same.

The 992 has more intrusive valves that open and close dynamically. It's not like the 991 style on/off vacuum actuated valves that could be plugged with a screw. I think this is the reason that a lot of the aftermarket exhausts aren't super impressive. Non-valved exhaust options do exist.

Of those on your list, I think Soul, JCR and Akra are all quality options.
Thanks, I did not know much about how this exhaust works. There are people selling used PSE exhausts, so you are telling me these exhausts are pretty much identical to the non-PSE exhausts? This is definitely not the way to go. So all PSE does is open the same exhaust valve maybe a little further or at different times as compared to the non-PSE exhaust? So, going with the aftermarket exhaust will give a little better sound maybe due to X-pipe or design but the valves will be doing the same thing regardless?

So maybe upgrading the exhaust is not worth the trouble without a tune that changes the valve operation?
Old 01-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
Thanks, I did not know much about how this exhaust works. There are people selling used PSE exhausts, so you are telling me these exhausts are pretty much identical to the non-PSE exhausts? This is definitely not the way to go. So all PSE does is open the same exhaust valve maybe a little further or at different times as compared to the non-PSE exhaust? So, going with the aftermarket exhaust will give a little better sound maybe due to X-pipe or design but the valves will be doing the same thing regardless?

So maybe upgrading the exhaust is not worth the trouble without a tune that changes the valve operation?
The muffler is a little different if you order PSE. Users who had their non PSE software updated report an impact that is around 80-90% of the PSE experience. Many users are happy with their aftermarket valved exhausts that focus as much on pitch and tone as they do decibels. For a more raw experience, you can get an aftermarket exhaust that bypasses the valves. JCR makes a titanium option without valves as does soul. There are others as well. If you just want to open your valves on your stock exhaust, get the car reprogrammed and order a car graphic control module. Which will plug into your stock harnesses and fully open your stock valves for less than 1k. I wouldn’t do tune just to open the valves. That may impact your warranty for no reason.
The following users liked this post:
blackland (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Absolutely get one of either akra, soul, or jcr exhausts.

If you’re spending that much anyway, it makes no sense to buy a PSE; yes it’s a different exhaust than the non-PSE, and I have it with catless downpipes and valves fully open thru my tune, and only with that does it sound absolutely amazing and just as loud as an akrapovic exhaust (which a local buddy has on his car). But most aren’t going to tune, so go with one of the aftermarket brands above.
The following users liked this post:
blackland (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:13 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I'd love to hear from someone who only added the Cargraphic controller onto a sport exhaust. How does that sound?
Old 01-25-2023, 08:52 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I'd love to hear from someone who only added the Cargraphic controller onto a sport exhaust. How does that sound?
yes please
Old 01-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I only recall one person on here getting it for the 3.0L. They reached out to cargraphic because it's not even on their website, only the GT3 Model. I imagine it sounds just as good as the M-Tune opening the valves all the way. no reason it wouldn't. Users who have done that have high praise for the mod.

Edit: Controller is now on their website CARGRAPHIC Valves control unit for Porsche 992 Carrera S / Carrera 4S 3,0l

Last edited by 22992; 01-25-2023 at 09:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 22992:
AdamIsAdam (01-25-2023), Master Deep (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Cst
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

What about sharkwerks? Alot cheaper and should be loud
Old 01-25-2023, 10:27 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Cst
What about sharkwerks? Alot cheaper and should be loud
I recall somebody conveying it droned