Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coat Targa Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 10:09 AM
dhjaffe
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ceramic Coat Targa Roof?

My new Targa is currently being wrapped in Xpel. It will then get ceramic coating over the wrap. The installer, whom I trust implicitly, is researching as to what to use on the red roof. Does anyone have knowledge on what to use on the roof of a Targa or a Cab? Is it okay to use the ceramic coating that is used on the wrap?
Old 01-21-2023, 03:46 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 434 Posts

The fabric? No, do not use the same ceramic coating. Use whatever convertible top product is your favorite (or your detailer's) such as 3M, 303, Raggtop, Wolfgang, etc.
The following users liked this post:
dhjaffe (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:53 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

OMG.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:44 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Not everything has to be coated. If you Detailer doesn't know and had to research it - don't do it.

I own a furniture store and at least twice a month I get a call from someone who wants help with a deteriorated piece of furniture, usually leather. The bought a "protective coating" over the internet or from their selling dealer as an add-on and applied it to the cover, then their hide deteriorated. What we have found over the years is some of these "protectant" chemicals are not compatible with the covers and cause rapid breakdown of the tannins in the leather (or less frequently the material fibers in fabric). A leather that should last 20+ years was then fully degraded in 2 years. The manufacturer's won't warranty it, and if the consumer pushes the issue, the cover is sent to a lab for analysis and testing for unapproved coatings. 99% of the time we find they did use something on it. Rather than looking for someone to apply something to your Targa top, I strongly suggest you follow the Porsche Owner's Manual and if they recommend their Convertible Top Spray for the Targa top, use only that. Keep your warranty intact by using only approved factory products.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
detansinn (01-21-2023), dhjaffe (01-29-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 05:51 PM
dhjaffe
Instructor

Thank you, drcollie! Great advice!
detansinn (01-21-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:41 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

I wouldn’t use the same ceramic coating you use on paint/ppf. I just use the old school Raggtop every 2 years. Porsches version is similar or the same. I believe there are some fabric top specific ceramic coatings (just like there is now ceramic coating for leather), but I haven’t used them.
dhjaffe (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:14 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

I am on my 5th 911 Targa over the years starting with my first 1978 911 SC targa, had a 1972 T, the a 991.1 and 991.2 and now a 992 Targa 4S.

Assuming you are not parked outside in the weather/elements every day (aka no garage) - the modern 911 targa top (or Cab) starting with the 991 gen - the soft top, outside of basic cleaning with mild auto soap and water when dirty - you really do not need to do anything to the top. The Modern sun tech type material is very fade and rain resistant and again, if not out in the elements all day every day - should last longer than you have the car if taken care of with mild cleaning products and water. Avoid abrasive cleaners, on dirty spots that need cleaning, lightly clean the area - do not scrub or use abrasive type cloth/pads for cleaning.

I use my 911s as my Daily Driver (starting with my 991 gens) - winter tires, snow, rain, sun, parked at the airport, etc. etc. Having had these for the past 10 years or so - never any fading or issues using this method. The Targa tops stayed in perfect condition.

The only thing I would recommend for the Cab or Targa - when parked for extended periods on non-use (AKA days at a time) - put the top in the closed position - the wrinkles in the top will be more noticeable if stored continuously in the open position.

The older targas with their vinyl were a completely different story - they would need replaced and treated often. I had my 911 SC for 15 years, and had the top re-done 2 times and it was not a daily driver for much of that time...
The following 4 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
Cokerrat (01-22-2023), Go Bruins (01-22-2023), pfelsen (01-23-2023), PHX (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:51 PM
dhjaffe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I am on my 5th 911 Targa over the years starting with my first 1978 911 SC targa, had a 1972 T, the a 991.1 and 991.2 and now a 992 Targa 4S.

Assuming you are not parked outside in the weather/elements every day (aka no garage) - the modern 911 targa top (or Cab) starting with the 991 gen - the soft top, outside of basic cleaning with mild auto soap and water when dirty - you really do not need to do anything to the top. The Modern sun tech type material is very fade and rain resistant and again, if not out in the elements all day every day - should last longer than you have the car if taken care of with mild cleaning products and water. Avoid abrasive cleaners, on dirty spots that need cleaning, lightly clean the area - do not scrub or use abrasive type cloth/pads for cleaning.

I use my 911s as my Daily Driver (starting with my 991 gens) - winter tires, snow, rain, sun, parked at the airport, etc. etc. Having had these for the past 10 years or so - never any fading or issues using this method. The Targa tops stayed in perfect condition.

The only thing I would recommend for the Cab or Targa - when parked for extended periods on non-use (AKA days at a time) - put the top in the closed position - the wrinkles in the top will be more noticeable if stored continuously in the open position.

The older targas with their vinyl were a completely different story - they would need replaced and treated often. I had my 911 SC for 15 years, and had the top re-done 2 times and it was not a daily driver for much of that time...
Unfortunately I will be parking the car outside everyday. No garage. Only a driveway.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:29 AM
kimbersm
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Are shampoos like Adam's which are supposed to be pH neutral wash soap safe on targa roof?
Old 01-23-2023, 08:33 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kimbersm
Are shampoos like Adam's which are supposed to be pH neutral wash soap safe on targa roof?
I use Adams or Griots...
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
detansinn (01-23-2023), kimbersm (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 09:57 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I use Adams or Griots...
Yep. This is the stuff that I have used across multiple cars.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/convert...ner-22-ounces/
Old 01-23-2023, 12:36 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
Yep. This is the stuff that I have used across multiple cars.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/convert...ner-22-ounces/
I have a bottle of this as well, but honestly have not used it on my targa (have on our track BWM Z4 cab top) - with the targa have had nothing bad enough that the auto shampoo and a light scrub with a micro fiber cloth would not take care of.

I literally try not to use anything outside of just some Griots auto shampoo from my auto power washer I have and rise it off - unless there is some dirt/grime/salt residue - which in the winter I get a lot more than summer.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coat Targa Roof?