Sponsored by:

Weight savings ideas for 992?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 02:15 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
The OP (porsche1234) is a 'poser who does a little street racing, he showed everyone that and then tried to delete his post but it was copied in quotes, so its still there. He's just one more wannabe in a long list of idiots that will tell you how talented they are.

Anyone who has done a lot of track days knows the folly of taking expensive street cars out on a regular basis. You know the truth, rk-d, as do the other realists here.

I did HPDE Instructing for a very long time - over 20 years - and most people that tell you they are "excellent" track drivers can't even drive a 25-year-old BMW 328i Sedan on the track at 10/10ths and put down five consistent lap times in a car is "only" 220 hp. But if they stay at it long enough, and go do enough events, they will eventually learn from real factory race car drivers who will wring out a Miata and be two seconds faster per lap than you can ever hope to accomplish as an enthusiast. I still learn from the Pros when I go out to events, The BMW Center at Thermal CA is loaded with ex-professional factory race car drivers as instructors, for example. When you think you're good, go there and see that you still have a long ways to go...
you must have missed the part of my quote that mentioned I beat all the Miata’s and spec boxters at my local race track. I’m a good driver and I’d rather drive my 992 on the track than a sh** box slow car that I can’t even drive home. Somehow, every time I go to the track I see 911’s, cayman gt4’s, bmw m2’s, m4’s etc that are driven to and from the track on a weekly basis. Do you go to a broke track or something? I’m a member at the local track so I can go every week. The 911’s are meant to be tracked not babied. All i said was I don’t want PCCB’s because I’m not paying 10k a month in brakes since I track so often.

Last edited by porsche1234; 01-20-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:39 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Very true. Track driving is an exercise in humility. I’m well aware that I’m slow as sh*t and that’s ok. At this point, I’m more interested in competing against myself than beating anyone.
True that. I aspired years ago to get a Club Racer or SCCA classed car, because at my local track (Summit Point WV) I could put down good and consistent hot laps in my '95 M3 I had set up for track duty with modified suspension, brakes, roll bar, harnesses, etc.

Then Boris Said came to the track one day I think it was in 1997 or 1998, when he was a BMW Motorsport Factory Driver, the cars were being built in Winchester VA which was only 30 minutes away from the track (He told me Summit Point was a "rat" track and he hated it). But we got to talking and I asked him to take me out for some hot laps, which he obliged. He was SO FAST....I could not believe it. No mistakes, every lap within a tenth or two of the prior one. In my car he bested my lap times by 3 to 4 seconds, every lap. I had a similar experience with Bill Auberlen, another BMW Factory Driver at New Hampshire International Speedway in 1999. Then another with Hans Stuck at Indianapolis. Those ride-alongs with the pros really open your eyes. I learned I was not professional caliber and was unlikely to get to that point. Like you said, an exercise in humility. Now when I do events, I try to focus on one thing the factory racer types tell me to focus on.. Last December at Thermal it was my turn-in positioning, I was not holding to the outside long enough on turn in and they wanted me to get another 10" to 12" to the pavement edge. I worked all day on that!

Last edited by drcollie; 01-20-2023 at 02:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
detansinn (01-20-2023), IPA1 (01-21-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:41 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
you must have missed the part of my quote that mentioned I beat all the Miata’s and spec boxters at my local race track. I’m a good driver and I’d rather drive my 992 on the track than a sh** box slow car that I can’t even drive home. Somehow, every time I go to the track I see 911’s, cayman gt4’s, bmw m2’s, m4’s etc that are driven to and from the track on a weekly basis. Do you go to a broke track or something? I’m a member at the local track so I can go every week. The 911’s are meant to be tracked not babied. All i said was I don’t want PCCB’s because I’m not paying 10k a month in brakes since I track so often.
Are you still here?

Old 01-20-2023, 02:47 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Some good info on the thread. Some silliness too. All taken in stride. 👍
Yes, it didn’t take long for this thread to get a little loose.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
I personally want to encourage you to purchase a new T and use it for dual purpose, tracking it every week as you said. Please be sure to start a thread where we can all follow along in your journey.
The following users liked this post:
zachr (01-29-2024)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:05 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

I agree with previous comments that if you're tracking every week you should look into a track car. Don't compromise your daily to the point that it's a track day car.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

@porsche1234 My friend, your posts are so cringe worthy.

Even if they are true, a bit of humility never hurts anyone.

You'd get more positive feedback and less blowback if you took a big humble pill before posting again

Enjoy your weekly track session this weekend.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-20-2023), Dan006 (01-20-2023), detansinn (01-20-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023), Wilder (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

The OP (porsche1234) is a 'poser who does a little street racing, he showed everyone that and then tried to delete his post but it was copied in quotes, so its still there. He's just one more wannabe in a long list of idiots that will tell you how talented they are.

Anyone who has done a lot of track days knows the folly of taking expensive street cars out on a regular basis. You know the truth, rk-d, as do the other realists here.

I did HPDE Instructing for a very long time - over 20 years - and most people that tell you they are "excellent" track drivers can't even drive a 25-year-old BMW 328i Sedan on the track at 10/10ths and put down five consistent lap times in a car is "only" 220 hp. But if they stay at it long enough, and go do enough events, they will eventually learn from real factory race car drivers who will wring out a Miata and be two seconds faster per lap than you can ever hope to accomplish as an enthusiast. I still learn from the Pros when I go out to events, The BMW Center at Thermal CA is loaded with ex-professional factory race car drivers as instructors, for example. When you think you're good, go there and see that you still have a long ways to go...
I'm out at Thermal (the racetrack not BMW Performance Center) almost every month.

My instructor is a member there, and the talent at Thermal can humble even the most skilled of drivers.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Dan006 (01-20-2023), detansinn (01-20-2023), drcollie (01-20-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 04:17 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
@porsche1234 My friend, your posts are so cringe worthy.

Even if they are true, a bit of humility never hurts anyone.

You'd get more positive feedback and less blowback if you took a big humble pill before posting again

Enjoy your weekly track session this weekend.

a proverb says: you reap what you sow... apparently this gentleman still has to learn. you are right in your post.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:36 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

As with many other things, it depends...

I've also been tracking cars for some 30 odd years, I took on instructing at HPDEs about 15-years ago after I gave up on doing competitive events. I don't see any "folly in tracking expensive cars". I do 20~25 track days per season and tracked BMW M3/4 for 20 years (all purchased new) and I've been tracking my 992 for the last two. After many years of running modified track cars, I appreciate the peace of mind that comes with the reliability and warranty coverage of a new car. I also very much enjoy the concept of one car that does it all, my 992 is both my 4-season daily driver as well as my track toy. And the track is really the only responsible place to fully appreciate the full performance potential of these machines. I've always said that consumable costs are inversely proportional to lap times: the faster you are, regardless if it is because of your driving skill or because of the car you drive, the more expensive it gets. Interestingly though, the consumable costs of running my 992TT is barely more than my previous M4cs despite being a almost 5 sec a lap faster. These cars are bloody well built for performance (track) driving. All that to say that I see nothing wrong with regularly tracking a 992. To each their own.

And you are absolutely right about the learning part, and it is probably a key reason why I am still tracking, because I keep on learning

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-20-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:53 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Or try and compete with really good drivers at a rental go-kart track. You know, the ones with 10hp gas engines and centrifugal clutches. Then we learn how slow we really are.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:11 PM
justcor
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
I was going to suggest Litespeed magnesium wheels that would give you a 40 lbs unsprung weight improvement, lithium battery for another 40 lbs and seats without motors. After the last comment, a better way to achieve weight reduction would be to get the foot out of your ***.

Quick Reply: Weight savings ideas for 992?